• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I don't believe the higher ups are actually supporters, but for the sake of making sure blame is shifted from the developers I'm playing devil's advocate. If people are gonna believe that entire development studios that had no part in the AMA share the same beliefs as the people who hosted the AMA, then it should be no surprise the people who are responsible for whether or not the hosters of the AMA are also accused of sharing those beliefs.
The logic being that if the person in charge of those who hosted the AMA didn't fire them, then that implies they either share or don't believe those beliefs are harmful.

My opinion is that guilt by association is a shitty concept. They fucked up, Lars Wingefors, who has a very clean record, personally apologized for it. Whatever he did with those employees internally, thinking that he supports nazis/pedophiles because he didn't publicly fire them is dumb.

Oct 25, 2017
80 upcoming games?

which one talks about 'ceasing your faggotry'?

mvs37nN.jpg

Imagine working on whatever game this is for years and some disgusting shithead in Austria irrevocably links it to 8chan and homphobia

That's not so easy sadly.

One of these asshats owns a somewhat big portion of the company stocks.

They simply can't fire him. And on top of that it would be a legal nightmare for THQ to do so with european worker-protection-laws.

The other two? I can't think their existence inside THQ is a niceo ne after they hurt the brand this much.

They deserve much worse but sadly we won't hear from this stuff any time soon.
It really is hard to fire someone over this in the EU/Austria unless they have hard proof that his behaviour did sizeable damage to their company.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
My opinion is that guilt by association is a shitty concept. They fucked up, Lars Wingefors, who has a very clean record, personally apologized for it. Whatever he did with those employees internally, thinking that he supports nazis/pedophiles because he didn't publicly fire them is dumb.

It's not about "publicly firing" anybody, it's that one of the two dudes in that AMA and who said that a Meme picture with the text "Cease your faggotry! Cease!" could be "from one of our games" is still one of the top executives of all of THQ Nordic. He didn't even have to step down to another, less senior position from that role. The apology rings entirely hollow (for more reasons than that, Wingefors still tried to paint it like they just didn't know what 8chan was which is so obviously false) if that person can still represent your company as one of a handful of people as the top leadership team afterwards.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I sincerely believe an average Joe who sees a funny/cool Saints Row 5 trailer won't care or know about this AMA thing. I personally don't. People do dumb things on the internet all the time. There's literally a story on that here every day. Refuse to believe that every developer behind each and every game supports that kind of PR tactic. So I'll buy what game I want with no care in the world. I appreciate your morals though.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017

He said in his apology that 'Even if no one within the THQ Nordic Group would ever endorse such content, I realize simply appearing there gave an implicit impression that we did.'

They realized that appearing there gave the impression that they endorsed racism and pedophilia, plus they even interacted positively with users with such in their questions to them, for which Lars who wasn't involved in apologized and said they investigated and it wouldn't happen again. I don't know about public firing however for many, including myself, this response was not enough considering their willing engagement with that board. It publicly damaged their reputation severely and an apology several days later with no details about what their investigation turned up or what steps they were taking to address it other than saying they were felt too much like sweeping it under the rug.

He realized that simply appearing there, doesn't even mention the replies from them, gave the impression that they endorsed a site known for pedophilia. It deserved a stronger response than 'we investigated ourselves and have taken care of it'.

If they didn't want to seem like they're in support of their employees who did this something better than 'oops, it wont happen again'.

Simon Belmont

Oct 25, 2017
I try not to engage in this topic as people have already made up their minds, and more power to them, but I won't standby and see a false accusation like this go uncorrected.

You wanna claim that the higher ups in charge of the people responsible for not firing the guys who hosted the AMA are Nazis and pedophile supporters, fine that's a logical conclusion to come to.

However there is zero evidence that the actual developers of the games THQ Nordic published share the same views as the people behind the AMA. Don't label them as pedophile Nazi supporters, they had no control over the matter.

That's fair, I meant 'made by' in the grand sense, but I should have been more clear about who's at fault and who I'm mad at.