• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017
Google translate:

THQ Nordic AB's indirectly wholly owned subsidiary Koch Media GmbH has today entered into an agreement to acquire Prague-based Warhorse Studios s.r.o, a leading game developer behind award-winning Kingdom Come: Deliverance. The purchase price amounts to EUR 33.2 million on a cash and debt free basis. Warhorses' net sales in 2018 amounted to approximately EUR 42 million, with an adjusted EBIT of approximately EUR 28 million1.

Press releasse: https://mb.cision.com/Main/15049/2739687/990136.pdf

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I love THQ's resurgence. Nice to see them strong enough to continue to add a bunch of mid-sized developers to fully round out their library.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone remind me how THQ Nordic has all this cash?

Darkpyro2

Oct 27, 2017
I love THQ's resurgence. Nice to see them strong enough to continue to add a bunch of mid-sized developers to fully round out their library.
It's not really THQ. Nordic bought the rights to all of THQ's IPs and trademarks ages ago, and decided that by adding "THQ" to their name, they'd have a more recognizable brand. This was after THQ dissolved. It wasn't even a merger, Nordic literally just bought the name.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
So is the asshole who runs Warhorse going to tweet out GamerGate and alt-right memes under the Nordic label now as well?

That will be a good look.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
40556793_519795795140477_516369547037507584_n.jpg

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All of these acquisitions make me surprised that one of the 3 platform holders didn't just scoop all of the IPs up.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So is the asshole who runs Warhorse going to tweet out GamerGate and alt-right memes under the Nordic label now as well?

That will be a good look.

The thing is.

This might be good since if he just doesn't leave after this, I hope and believe THQ Nordic will not accept his shit he is spouting.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Come was such an awesome game (top notch writing, world building, atmosphere) undermined by such a bone-headed combat system. Hopefully their next project is more refined, and hopefully they continue to improve KCD via DLC and better modding support and all that stuff. I'm waiting on all the story DLC to be released before I begin my next playthrough.

One of the big benefits of THQ Nordic/Deep Silver taking these companies under their wing is that they can share resources. For example, if companies want high quality motion capture/facial animation, Dambuster can lend their equipment and expertise. It seems Volition help other studios with QA. Stuff like that.

I notice the purchase is being made through Koch, so Warhorse will likely be placed under Deep Silver's control rather than being managed by THQN directly.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Which says what for KCD 2?

-Epic Store exclusive?

If KCD2 were around the corner, that'd probably depend on which arm is publishing the game, but it's 3-4 years away at best and Epic won't still be moneyhatting temporary exclusives that far down the road. The deals are a gambit to make the store instantly appealing to Steam's userbase of paying customers in the here and now and won't last forever. My guess would be that Epic will shut off the cash pipeline around the time the first deals expire at the end of the year.

Last edited:

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I reall liked KCD, let's hope THQNordic wont cheap on the sequel.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good acquisition by THQ Nordic but im really hoping they acquire 4A Games at some point and really wish they could acquire Techland. That would definitely increase their game quality.

nofuckinidea

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure THQ is gearing up for a streaming service in the upcoming years. So many studios and IPs with great potential.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is.

This might be good since if he just doesn't leave after this, I hope and believe THQ Nordic will not accept his shit he is spouting.
He owned 17% of the company, so he just made bank and can tweet on a full time basis now. Assuming he leaves. If not, he will probably continue to shut up as he did for the latter half of the development when Bakala's people "persuaded" him to reign it in.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Good acquisition by THQ Nordic but im really hoping they acquire 4A Games at some point and really wish they could acquire Techland. That would definitely increase their game quality.

I don't really see any reason for Techland to sell themselves. They're doing really well and even have their own publishing business. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they buy 4A Games. Deep Silver has published all of their games and Nordic owns Koch, which owns Deep Silver.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Wait, I though Kindgom Come was pretty successful. This is a weird buy for that amount. Guess the DLC didn't keep things alive?

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Where the FUCK are they getting this money!?!?!?

Someone remind me how THQ Nordic has all this cash?
Goat Simulator

Owner is Lars Wingefors, a rich private investor. Also their business model is based around selling loads of different mid sized games/ip - compared to activision for example who focus on only a few big IP's. And that seems to work well for them. They basically own the whole ex-AA IP and marketshare at the moment.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Question is are they going to be working on their own thing or will they be given one of Nordic's million ips? 🤔

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What happened to re-releasing Nickelodeon games and when will they start development on a new Destroy All Humans?

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see any reason for Techland to sell themselves. They're doing really well and even have their own publishing business. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they buy 4A Games. Deep Silver has published all of their games and Nordic owns Koch, which owns Deep Silver.

I agree in regards to both. More of a dream scenario as im hoping to see THQ Nordic become a top five multi-platform publisher for me as this gen ends and next gen begins. I know that Koch Media owns Deep Silver which owns the Metro IP but THQ Nordic owns Koch Media so I just refer to all of it as THQ Nordic since that's basically what it is anyway. THQ Nordic gave me Darksiders III which I enjoyed a lot. Friday is Metro Exodus which im super hyped for. They're publishing Generation Zero which im interested in and they have Biomutant in the summer so while it's more just wishful thinking, im hoping that they can acquire great development studios like 4A Games and Techland.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I really really hope they keep a hands off approach. I mean the devs literally had a ton of publishers pass on Kingdom Come and I would hate to see their new owners push them away from the rpg elements and the more hardcore gameplay design it has.