• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Fun stat despite all that a quick google gives 255 covid related deaths for South Korea, whereas New York apparently has 19k something.

Also South Korea apparently prepared measurements against covid since december at least that's what I remember a US doctor complaining about given the difference in how the US prepared(they didn't) vs South Korea.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
A million years of human evolution... just to be done in by a videogame system.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Fun stat despite all that a quick google gives 255 covid related deaths for South Korea, whereas New York apparently has 19k something.

Also South Korea apparently prepared measurements against covid since december at least that's what I remember a US doctor complaining about given the difference in how the US prepared(they didn't) vs South Korea.
People there already wore masks when they were sick, something the West never embraced.
Hopefully this will change when you see something like this destroying our society.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: whoops slippery fingers, sorry Kaseoki

I forgot Korea was one of the only country to not drop the ball when it came to the virus, I am a fool for suggesting other wise.

And that's not quite what I had in mind when I said first come first serve after the online lottery part.
I was thinking people sign up then get notified that they have a switch available for them to purchase and then they come and actually buy it.

Then If they don't get it with in the same day of the email they lose their "preorder" and it moves down to the next person in line.

(that was the first come first serve part that I could have described better honestly.)

And as far as for checking for dupes I was thinking when they arrive they show their ID and if it turns out they already purchased one (we have someone be write the ID numbers down each visit) then they are refused service and the next person would be notified that they can get that switch.

That was my thought process but I'm sure there are still logistical problems I'm not thinking about.

You got one through right?

What did you get with it? :)

I guess the issue with that would be people overloading the webpage since so many people want to sign up first. So first come first serve offline or online would not work or be fair.

The shop I queued up for had a 1 week registration at their store, so there was no rush or manic queuing (especially when we are still social distancing just incase). You'd come with ID and fill in a google form and they would check your name and DoB on both and provide you with a secret code on that day (to stop people filling in the form without visiting the store). They would check everything and hand you a lottery ticket number.

The lottery process is then done on a YouTube livestream to keep it all fair and transparent. It's happening tomorrow, so fingers crossed!

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
One would expect home consoles to have a similar rise in popularity, as folks are confined to their homes after all. Seems though as if the Switch especially is completely taking over. Curious why that is. I don't think the PS4's or Xbox One's age explains it all.

What do you want to hear? "Nintendo magic"?

Them other consoles are old as hell, with successors on the horizon. One of them has sold +100M (most people that wanted it already have it by now). The Switch doesn't hog the TV and has some of the most popular gaming IP's.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
With Nintendo having dirt cheap hardware again and SK beating the virus makes sense. Too bad there's nothing announced for the year after AC.

How cheap is the Switch really? Here in North America It's still more expensive or about the same price as the Slim / revision SKUs of the other consoles. And people are paying more than retail on ebay.

What do you want to hear? "Nintendo magic"?

Them other consoles are old as hell, with successors on the horizon. One of them has sold +100M (most people that wanted it already have it by now). The Switch doesn't hog the TV and has some of the most popular gaming IP's.

Can't speak for SK which is traditionally PC LAND, but in North America all consoles saw an uptick, but Switch was especially popular. I think the other posts citing popularity of Animal Crossing, flexibility, ability to free up TV if someone else needs it all plays a role. And yea, it being a newer console helped, but I think this point gets overstated as a catchall. If the next-gen has a slow start and Switch continues selling, will the explanation change suddenly?

I think the poster was mostly begging the question and not expecting a response. Personally there's also a temptaiton to make up a reason (not saying you did) and attribute the success to that .

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't look like 6ft distance from each person
This was Hong Kong around AC's launch.
JfGvHfo.jpg

Granted, the mall's hallways aren't spacious to begin with, but still.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
How cheap is the Switch really? Here in North America It's still more expensive or about the same price as the Slim / revision SKUs of the other consoles. And people are paying more than retail on ebay.
Yeah, Switch is actually rather expensive for a Nintendo system compared to the competition.
People have to realize that when the Wii blew up it was 250 including a system seller against 400-600USD machines.

Price hasnt really been a massive factor for or against Switch - though compared to the upcoming consoles Switch will look rather cheap...unless the Series S launches this Holiday season as well.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
It was Children's Day the other day in South Korea and pretty sure parents are trying to get kids stuff. It's been hard to find a Switch there too from what I heard. A friend of mine is trying to buy a Switch + Animal Crossing but she hasn't been able to find it for weeks now.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Don't you remember the numbers the Wii and the DS were pulling during the recession ?

I feel that 2008 recession is different when compared to the coming recession because of the pandemic in the mix, game development is also more impacted than in 2008. I wonder for example how countries like Italy, Spain or Greece are going to fare in the coming months with how much dependent they are on tourism when that is currently non existent. EU (with UK) projects almost 8% drop in GDP, that's almost half more than caused by the recession in 2009 (-4,3%) and that could get worse with how unpredictable the virus is. The second wave of the virus on a weaker economy could be devastating. I feel that next gen in particular is in a bad spot with it's high prices, could be a very slow start with lower install base and lack of games taking advantage of it. I may be overy pessimistic but I don't see the outlook for the future being any good not only for video game industry but the World as a whole.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
South Korea and Hong Kong have the spread under control and life is comparatively normal in these places.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
That doesn't look like 6ft distance from each person
Potentially contracting COVID19 to own the libs Switch.
Great idea, especially during the circumstances we currently live in. Risking getting or spreading COVID-19 just to buy a video game console. Seriously, wtf?
So much for social distancing
That is insane, especially considering all that is going on in the world right now.

There isn't local transmision in Korea, the situation is fine there.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Wow that's pretty amazing. Switch seems to be having one hell of a 2020. Shame about the rest of us.

Also have to laugh at westerners judging South Korea's covid strategy.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
If Xenoblade wasn't coming at the end of this month I would totally sell mine, as I barely ever use the thing, but Xenoblade is coming and I'm gonna need to play that.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Iirc SK situation is much more under control than Japan so they should be fine

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Can't find many where I am. Would like to get one.