• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
PCGamer

On Tuesday evening, over 2,000 EVE Online players gathered to celebrate Chappy78 Chapman's 42nd birthday by gathering into two massive armadas and blasting each other to smithereens. Representatives from every major player alliance in EVE showed up (along with a few developers from CCP Games), many sporting their biggest, most expensive ships to sacrifice in the mock battle. Billions of ISK, the in-game currency, was destroyed just for the fun of it. But for Chappy78, who a week earlier was told his pancreatic cancer had returned and was terminal, it was a profound moment of camaraderie. This birthday will likely be his last, he tells me over Discord, and he can't think of a better way to have spent it.

"It was unbelievable," Chappy78 says. "I have done a lot of things, and I have fought in a lot of major battles [in EVE Online], but I have never been in a battle that big and that outrageous."

Chappy78 isn't alone in feeling that way. Hours after the battle ended, the EVE Online subreddit was flooded with images and videos of the fight. With nearly 2,000 players in one system, EVE Online's servers struggled to keep up with the action. To compensate, its developers had to dedicate extra network resources and turn on a feature called Time Dilation which slows down combat so servers can keep up with the hundreds of thousands of missiles, bullets, and lasers cleaving through players' ships. But Chappy78 had no idea his little birthday party would turn into one of EVE Online's biggest battles of the year.

A night to remember
I interviewed Chappy78 in the early afternoon on Wednesday. He'd slept in because he was up until dawn blowing up and being blown up by everyone who gathered to celebrate his birthday. He can't believe how many people showed up, he says, especially because he had only given everyone 24 hours notice.
More at link
-------------------------------------------
What a fantastic gesture. I suggest reading the full story at the link. Very heartwarming.

May 28, 2020
Ah wow. I must add, this game never ceases to amaze me yet at the same time inspire complete fear to never ever try it to avoid the time sink.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing. EVE Online's player events never fail to amaze me, and it's still crazy that something like this is even possible.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
This is awesome.

I thought that hammer looking ship was gonna ram the other ship but as it played out I thought nah it's quite small then gradually ah no the other ship is just fucking huge lol

Man that voice-over. What a lovely gesture this is.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Such a great thing to do. Never seen a battle like that myself despite playing eve for a couple of years. Have a 72mill sp character who's been in retirement for a year would of watched this if knew about it. Very sad about the player but I'm sure this gave him some good entertainment in hard times.

Last edited:

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Don't know much about Eve Online, but this sounds like a pretty awesome moment and it always makes me happy to hear stories of gaming communities coming together like this. Good stuff.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I've never played Eve and I never will, but I love reading all their stories. What an awesome community must be when you can gather 2000 people willing to blow up their ships for one player.

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
Played with a friend time ago, this game and this communities are absolutely beast. I have never feeling this in another game in my life.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
EVE and its community continues to amaze.

Doubt you read ERA, however, I wish you late but sincere Happy Birthday, Chappy.

What a beautiful and selfless gesture.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds great.

I never get the details of the EVE Online stuff but the stories that happen in the community always sound so cool.

Oct 27, 2017
I always wonder what this game has that it always spawns these kind of stories when it's so notoriously niche and hard to get into.