• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
It was one of the first comics I read when I started getting into them a few years back. I thought it was pretty enjoyable, but felt like I was missing a lot of context. Can't say too much on how quality it was, I just remember it having some really amazing scenes. Hawkeye getting vaporized, Magneto learning what Quicksilver did and getting really fucking pissed off, and that one line at the end everyone knows.

magneto1.jpg

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
Mr. Sinister isn't even a mutant afaik. ....this will not end well.

in one of the House of X/Powers of X issues (edit: Powers of X #4), they show that Mr Sinister created a version of himself that had the mutant gene, which then killed the non-mutant Sinister. but yeah, trusting Mr Sinister at all seems dumb.

Last edited:

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I personally loved it. Very interesting story. But I know I missed a lot since then. I'm reading Dawn of X & they keep calling Wanda a pretender & I wonder if it's because of what she did to mutants or something else.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Jumping on the "they screwed up the Spider-Man stuff" train. Can't believe they went with the lame The Other event rather than having Peter have to deal with what happened here.

Mark Waid, who wrote the Spider-Man: House of M tie-in, was supposed to write Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, but he bowed out and Peter David took on writing duties.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I personally loved it. Very interesting story. But I know I missed a lot since then. I'm reading Dawn of X & they keep calling Wanda a pretender & I wonder if it's because of what she did to mutants or something else.
That, plus she's been retconned to have never been a mutant to begin with.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It's because she Decimated the mutant population but she is not a mutant herself.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone catch me up on the state of mutants now, re the depowering? I'm getting confused reading the various wikis and catch-ups out there, and even reading Powers of X/House of X and the next few comics afterward isn't making it clear.

Has "No More Mutants" been undone? Partially undone? I know a few select characters got powers back due to various anomalous circumstances, but is the global mutant population still in the hundreds?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone catch me up on the state of mutants now, re the depowering? I'm getting confused reading the various wikis and catch-ups out there, and even reading Powers of X/House of X and the next few comics afterward isn't making it clear.

Has "No More Mutants" been undone? Partially undone? I know a few select characters got powers back due to various anomalous circumstances, but is the global mutant population still in the hundreds?
It was supposed to be undone by the Phoenix Force in AvX, but the aftermath seemed to minimize that as much as possible, without outright denying it. So, a few new mutants started awakening, but it didn't really restore all old ones. Mutants were facing extinction again during the Inhumans push shortly afterwards. Currently though due to the Krakoa status quo, and the cloning process they're using, there are thousands and they have their own nation.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

Partially undone. Also many dead mutants have been resurrected with more being resurrected daily.

Also depowered mutants can enter a Crucible, a fight to the death that puts them at to front of the resurrection list and restores their powers.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
hearing people describe the current Hickman X-Men run always sounds so fucking wild

I need to get my MU sub back

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Way too decompressed.
In fact, you could cut this event by 2 or 3 issues with proper pacing, but Bendis being Bendis he put all his favorites there:
- Long boring exposition
- Issues where almost to nothing happens.
- Young female Deus Ex machina.

The art is good at least, but man this event is a chore to read these days.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
hearing people describe the current Hickman X-Men run always sounds so fucking wild

I need to get my MU sub back

It's honestly fascinating. The X-Men will ultimately destroy themselves but it's probably been the most interested i've been in cape comics/big two in a while. Well worth it.

Also, I would be open to reading Marvel retcon Wanda back to a mutant now that everything is clear for movies. Or they can just pretend that arc never happened. Retconning that retcon would be less messy to (already messy) marvel history than what the recon messed up.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I honestly thought they walked that back by now. Damn, her & Pietro really aren't mutants? Doesn't that kinda ruin their characters over the past 50 years or so?
Not really. It just makes Magneto look worse as he was lying about being their father and manipulating them for his cause.

Basically here is the deal. There are over 16 MILLION mutants that need to be resurrected. If a depowered mutant dies they are put at the back of the list like most mutants are.

However if a depowered mutant proves they are willing to fight for their powers and for the mutant cause through the Crucible they are put at the front of the list.

It was put in place in order to prevent suicides and hopelessness for the depowered. A way to get to the front and become whole again.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've only read a summary of it. I don't understand why they changed it back? Like, everyone was better off right? Who looked at that and said nah this isn't right?

I guess for some of the characters who went from 95 to 100, going back to 95 wasn't that bad, but what about everyone else who went from 5 to 50? That's a lot more to lose. If Wolverine showed up at my door and said hey let's make your life and everyone else's a lot worse because that's how it is in this alternative reality you've never heard of, that's a no from me dog.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I've only read a summary of it. I don't understand why they changed it back? Like, everyone was better off right? Who looked at that and said nah this isn't right?
because then there wouldn't be a story
I mean because it's not real
(ignore the fact reality has changed so it's fucking real)
really because story

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. It just makes Magneto look worse as he was lying about being their father and manipulating them for his cause.
Duh, of course Magneto was involved with that. So why aren't Krakoans angry at him for that? I guess because the damage she has caused from the Decimation is already done?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Duh, of course Magneto was involved with that. So why aren't Krakoans angry at him for that? I guess because the damage she has caused from the Decimation is already done?

Because he's like the second or third most beloved villain in comic book history.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017

I guess for some of the characters who went from 95 to 100, going back to 95 wasn't that bad, but what about everyone else who went from 5 to 50? That's a lot more to lose. If Wolverine showed up at my door and said hey let's make your life and everyone else's a lot worse because that's how it is in this alternative reality you've never heard of, that's a no from me dog.

It was really only better if you were a mutant, or Doom, for some reason. Spidey only had a better life because he lied about being a mutant, and Jameson was about to expose that when they undid everything. Most other "sapiens" were hunted or segregated from mutant society. The fantastic four were all dead except for Grimm, who was Doom's mute pet monster. I can definitely see why the people Wolverine went to would want to change it back.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
He wasn't involved, but he propped up his daughter as a mutant for years. Like, they're okay with him lying to them.

???

Magneto had no idea Wanda wasn't a mutant and wasn't actually his daughter anymore than anyone else did. Hell, even THAT's inconsistent since Wanda's "No more mutants" spell depowered pietro along with every other mutant on the planet- which shouldn't have worked if he and Wanda weren't mutants.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That, plus she's been retconned to have never been a mutant to begin with.
The MCU is a menace!
Wanda being retconned to not being a mutant was grade-A bullshit.
I honestly thought they walked that back by now. Damn, her & Pietro really aren't mutants? Doesn't that kinda ruin their characters over the past 50 years or so?
IIRC wanda and pietro being children of magneto was a retcon in the first place, that is in the earlier comics they weren't related to him and the relation was a plot twist years later

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
IIRC wanda and pietro being children of magneto was a retcon in the first place, that is in the early comics they weren't related to him

Yes, but their first appearance ever were as members of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in X-Men #4. Lee and Kirby intended for them to be mutants.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
IIRC wanda and pietro being children of magneto was a retcon in the first place, that is in the earlier comics they weren't related to him and the relation was a plot twist years later

This is true.

Yes, but their first appearance ever were as members of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in X-Men #4. Lee and Kirby intended for them to be mutants.

yes, but they weren't his kids, just two random mutants.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
???

Magneto had no idea Wanda wasn't a mutant anymore than anyone else did. Hell, even THAT's inconsistent since Wanda's "No more mutants" spell depowered pietro along with every other mutant on the planet- which shouldn't have worked if he and Wanda weren't mutants.

Actually hold up a sec

Pietro got his powers back from the Terrigen Mists after House of M right? Like I remember that from X-Factor.

How the hell did the Terrigen Mists then sterilize and kill Mutants later?

IIRC wanda and pietro being children of magneto was a retcon in the first place, that is in the early comics they weren't related to him

This is true. They were originally intended as the children of Golden Age heroes Whizzer and Ms. America but that never went through, so they became the children of a Roma couple and there was some bullshit with the High Evolutionary, and eventually in the 80s they were revealed as Magneto's kids. Sometimes Polaris is involved.

Also Magneto once hypnotized the Avengers and X-Men and made Scarlet Witch dance in front of him.

xmen71n_creepydance.jpg

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It was really only better if you were a mutant, or Doom, for some reason. Spidey only had a better life because he lied about being a mutant, and Jameson was about to expose that when they undid everything. Most other "sapiens" were hunted or segregated from mutant society. The fantastic four were all dead except for Grimm, who was Doom's mute pet monster. I can definitely see why the people Wolverine went to would want to change it back.
None of this was in the summaries I read, so this makes more sense now. Thanks!

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Actually hold up a sec

Pietro got his powers back from the Terrigen Mists after House of M right? Like I remember that from X-Factor.

The terrigen mists were totally harmless to mutants when they originally got released across the planet during Infinity (2013). The mists being "lethal" was a massive retcon that didn't happen until after the marvel universe was rebooted when Secret Wars (2015) ended in early 2016.

you could say that was a "universe-8" thing, but really it was a hamhanded way to set up an Xmen/Inhumans conflict because the inhumans just weren't catching on.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Originally iirc Quicksilver used terrigen to make up for the decimation by essentially giving the depowered new powers but it ended up making things worse

But anyway i don't terrigen ever specifically killed mutants or even killed people really before but event time