• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
2004 introduced us to another incarnation of the Caped Crusader

MV5BZjE2MzA0YTgtNjQ3MS00MjMxLWE2MzMtOGYzMTZjZjFiYTI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTgwMzk1MTA@._V1_UY1200_CR140,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

and I was wondering, what did everyone think of? I think season 1 was decent as it had a mysterious tone but the redesigns and changes to Batman's Rogues Gallery was....eh

The_Batman_villains.JPG

These are way too gimmicky and for some reason, almost everyone knows martial arts, which makes it clear this show was made to sell toys and be a standard Saturday Morning cartoon and IIRCC, Batman had a new suit all the time, which drives this point further

Later the show introduced us to classic characters like Gordon, Batgirl and Robin but it seems the show was hammering how gimmicky it was and it felt obnoxious to be frank.

Season 1 intro was dope though and the Batman vs Dracula was alright

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Started out kind of repetitive and meh (I recall the first season being joker, penguin, riddler on repeat), but then it came into its own with a couple interesting takes on villains (Clayface) and/or interesting story ideas (the far future episode w/Freeze, I Am Legend ep)

The episodes featuring other Justice League members did well with playing Batman off of them

And Batman vs. Dracula is actually really damn badass, especially the end of the final confrontation in the Batcave.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
I think it got better as it went along but it tried to be not the DCAU and also cribbed way too much off it.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Still one of my favorite Joker's and had an actual likeable Harley/Joker relationship rather than the abusive ones everywhere else.

I overall liked it.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I didn't watch too much of it but the episodes I did see were alright.
As for 2000's era Batman cartoons, I was more of a fan of Batman: Brave and the Bold.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I quite like it. It's obviously not going to stand up to comparisons with BTAS, but they had some cool twists on classic characters, and I like a lot of the characters designs.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Batman vs Dracula is a hundred times better than it had any right to be and is a highwater mark for the series, which was... Okay. It wasn't the worst thing ever, but it was never going to escape the shadow of BTAS, and it didn't do its own thing like The Brave and the Bold.

Oct 25, 2017
Its not BTAS but it was really good.
latest
latest

Should have carried over and been used in other Batman material.
A GCPD team of Gordon, Bullock, Yin, Ethan and Montoya would be pretty good.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. Nothing really special and a little too toyetic after BTAS.

Joker was a hoot, especially that episode where he dressed up as Batman.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I remember thinking the art style was very similar to Jackie Chan Adventures when I was a kid.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I hated the idea that every villain to Batman should be a physical threat. The Penguin fighting Batman hand to hand was absurd.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
The biggest problem with the show was the sheer amount of executive meddling. Greg fucking Weisman wrote for this show. There was lots of talent behind the scenes, and at it's best, it was a refreshing take on the mythos. Absolutely loved this show's versions of Clayface, Riddler, Black Mask, and Hugo Strange. And Firefly and Bane also had incredible debuts before they were sadly nerfed into oblivion into later appearances.

They also occasionally came up with some genuinely great original villains. Not-Clock-King from season 4 is easily in the running for best episode of the entire series. And of course, let's not forget about D.A.V.E: the Ultimate Criminal Mastermind:

maxresdefault.jpg

The world's greatest detective, ladies and gentlemen.

That was a dumb moment, yeah. But on the whole, the movie was actually really cool, and also INSANELY dark for something that original aired on American TV under a Y7 rating. I still can't believe they got away with shit like the blood bank scene:

The vampires in this movie ain't no Morbius from the 90's Spider-Man: The Animated Series, that's fore sure.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's a simple but very enjoyable show, voice acting was pretty much solid all throughout, music was good, some of the redesigns were odd but I like most of them. I'm actually a big fan of acrobatic dreadlock Joker.
I remember the clayface episodes being some standouts but it's been a long time since I've seen any of them.

Batman vs. Dracula was dope.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Loved some of the reimagining of the villains ... even if you hate them you have to give them props for at least TRY to change stuff as iconic as the joker

The intro song was cool but clipshow was not what the song was asking =P

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
The biggest problem with the show was the sheer amount of executive meddling. Greg fucking Weisman wrote for this show. There was lots of talent behind the scenes, and at it's best, it was a refreshing take on the mythos.

The ironic thing is that the movie was actually pretty cool, and also INSANELY dark for something that aired on American TV under a Y7 rating. I still can't believe they got away with shit like the blood bank scene:

The vampires in this movie ain't no Morbius from the 90's Spider-Man: The Animated Series, that's fore sure.

I don't think I'm seeing what you see in that clip tbh. 🤷‍♂️

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't like the first season much at all but was surprised to come back to it later and find it has really become quite good. I liked some of the takes on the villains, like Joker (though his first design wasn't great) and the Manson-y Riddler but, as others have said, the martial arts stuff was ridiculous. For Penguin in particular. It was definitely was too toyetic but by the last season I was sad to see it go and was hoping we'd get ta full JL cartoon as a follow up. Kevin Michael Richardson is a very underrated Joker.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
OMG I love that show.
I love the episode where the Penguin create his own league of villain.
I love the episode set in the future with super muscular batman
I love how they introduce the justice league with the alien invasion arc.
Def one of my favorite super hero show ever.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Always liked the Easter egg of Kevin Conroy voicing John Grayson.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I recall liking it at the time, I expected a lot worse and was pleasantly surprised.
Something about that series arsehole penguin is just great, even if the ninja henchwoman never felt like a fit.

Also both those intros were dope.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Show started off okay (and that first intro is fire) but that Clayface two parter in season 1 is when the show got really interesting.

And yeah you'd think something like Batman Vs. Dracula would be corny from the title alone, but it's hands down the best thing to come from that continuity.