• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Software update, but you will need a good enough cord to connect to a computer. The official one will be like $75.

Ok. Since amazon stick the quest, they
would hopefully have the new cord.

I'm not sure if my motherboard has a USB-C connection. Is this the only way? I think I will need the adapter.

My motherboard is Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming.

Front USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C

Front meaning on the top where you have the power button?
We had to be creative in designing a pipeline in maintaining a VR experience while delivering full content," Bastani said. So to make the visuals easier to unpack, the Oculus Link capability can scale down the image quality streaming from the Rift games, but only partially. The pixel density will only be lowered on the edges of the VR image, not in the center. As a result, consumers probably won't notice the dip in resolution.

Last edited:

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Ok. Since amazon stick the quest, they
would hopefully have the new cord.

I'm not sure if my motherboard has a USB-C connection. Is this the only way? I think I will need the adapter.

My motherboard is Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming.

Front meaning on the top where you have the power button?

The jack on the Quest is USB C but you'll only need a USB A on the computer, it just needs to be USB 3.0. The issue is finding a long enough cable, USB 3 is generally limited to 10 feet, that's why Oculus made their own using optical fiber so that it could be both long (15 feet) and thin. We don't know if using an extension cable will work, I would assume so but we know until it launches.

Their cable is USB C to USB C so you'd need an adapter on your PC if you don't have a USB C port.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
For me it has become a bit useless, even though it's cheap.
But that's only because I have an Oculus Go and the HP Reverb.

So I'm settled on being untethered and on the high-end resolution and immersive experience.
If I didn't have those headsets and I was interested in VR, the fact that you will be able to play pc games on this headset if you want makes it the best startingpoint for VR ever imo.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Too Heavy, uncomfortable to wear, gives you neck pain, wait for the next generation. Great first step though.

I usually use one of those powerstations to chargue mine and strap it with a belcro to the back of my headset, and I can usually play around 3 to 4 hours without any issue.

I guess the weight issue varies from person to person.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about buying one, but I cannot imagine being satisfied with graphics even worse than psvr.
72hz sounds really low and link will have compression, so even more compromises.
I will wait for Quest 2.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda torn on the Quest. The Link sounds really cool, but 72hz is definitely a downside for me. I'm more interested in the Rift S at this rate, given it's the same price for a 90hz headset with no compression.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So unlike the rift and vive, you cannot download stuff from other websites like demos and such from popular VR sites for the quest?

If you mean free stuff, you can run Sidequest and sideload all kinds of stuff. Quake is fully playable this way. Half-Life is playable this way (and the Blue Shift expansion is getting support next update). There's a bunch of mods and free stuff that didn't/won't make it onto the official store.

I was thinking about buying one, but I cannot imagine being satisfied with graphics even worse than psvr.
72hz sounds really low and link will have compression, so even more compromises.
I will wait for Quest 2.

PSVR certainly has higher polygon counts. It's not fair to say they're worse, though. Because if you design within the limitations of the Quest, they'll look much better than the PSVR's really low resolution (and blur filter they're using). Quest is super sharp and crisp. Combine that with games that are using MSAA (practically free on Quest), the IQ on Quest is WAY better than PSVR.

I'm kinda torn on the Quest. The Link sounds really cool, but 72hz is definitely a downside for me. I'm more interested in the Rift S at this rate, given it's the same price for a 90hz headset with no compression.

Rift S is only 80hz. So Quest is only 8hz lower. And if you're using it to watch movies, 72hz is a multiple of 24. So there's even some benefit to be had at that number.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of sales can we expect online this black friday/cyber monday?
Not too much off. They have said that they are selling just as fast as they can make them in general.
Especially if Valve announces Half life Vr before black friday as demand will likely go up quite a bit from that for VR headsets.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Love mine, cannot recommend enough.

I lost 25 pound since buying it thanks to Beat Saber and Box VR.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of optics, how much of an improvement in clarity is this over CV1 rift?

Is it a night and day difference or just a minor improvement?

How noticeable is SDE and build quality of the device?

If you mean free stuff, you can run Sidequest and sideload all kinds of stuff

Just looking into this now. So it supports Windows as well as Mac.

Which do you recommend I install it on?

Because when the Oculus Link comes out I will be streaming it from my desktop (Windows) so I think it would be wise to install it on that, or since the software isn't related to each other, I could use my MacBook?

Thanks.

Just an update. I actually bought it yesterday from Amazon, twice ! But I had second thoughts on it and canceled it.

But now I bought it again, chose the 64GB one which I won't be canceling :).

Last edited:

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of optics, how much of an improvement in clarity is this over CV1 rift?

Thanks.

For me it was definitely a big improvement. The resolution increase and the reduced SDE are definitely noticable. Plus it doesn't have the god ray issues that the CV1 has. The build quality is solid, I prefer it to the CV1 and the S.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
For me it was definitely a big improvement. The resolution increase and the reduced SDE are definitely noticable. Plus it doesn't have the god ray issues that the CV1 has. The build quality is solid, I prefer it to the CV1 and the S.

Good to hear. So the fixed the god ray issues, I remember them. Must be better optics or perhaps better coatings on the lens.

I had the lens fog up issues too. But I bought some spray for it. ;)

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty great 'nextgen' experience for me as I'd only dabbled with Samsung gearvr before that.

Controllers feel great, super accurate and never have connection issues. Being able to 'see through' the goggles once you're outside a vr boundary is cool and convenient.
Seconded on the widmovr lens adapters. They also have a blue light filter option.

My only complaint is, storage is limited, it's a pain having to copy videos over to it; I had an idea to get a tiny USB-C otg drive, but turns out the file system limits it to 4gb per file :( Wish they included microSD support.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
How many USB Ports does it take?
The Oculus Quest is a completely stand alone VR headset with its own store, that doesn't require a computer at all.

You can potentially stream games from a gaming PC to the headset without needing any usb ports and next month the Oculus Link update should happen which will use a single cord which will require a single usb port to use.

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I really dig my quest despite having a bunch of tracking issues with it. Turns out I needed to clear the "guardian" (room layout) history and that seemed to solve it. I think the guardian system overall might stress the thing a bit too much, going to Robo Recall seems to crash a lot for me too, but otherwise the quest is a good time. Can't wait for the Link to release and try out some of the more substantial experiences.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Oculus Quest is a completely stand alone VR headset with its own store, that doesn't require a computer at all.

You can potentially stream games from a gaming PC to the headset without needing any usb ports and next month the Oculus Link update should happen which will use a single cord which will require a single usb port to use.

Oh so its not just a wireless Oculus? I thought that was the situation. So it can only play Oculus exclusive?

Nov 8, 2017
Oculus Quest is great. I've had PSVR since launch, and I can't stress enough how nice it is to play games like Superhot in roomscale without cables. The tracking is so much better on the Quest too; feels a lot closer to PC VR tracking. Aside from that, playing Thumper on the train is the best experience you can get in portable gaming right now.

I'm not sure how meaningful this is, but I bought my Quest at the same time I bought my Switch, and my Quest has definitely seen a whole lot more play time than my Switch.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Oh so its not just a wireless Oculus? I thought that was the situation. So it can only play Oculus exclusive?
the quest can natively play the games

Shop Meta Quest VR Games, Apps, Deals and More | Meta Quest

Shop VR games, apps, and entertainment available on the Meta Quest headsets. Download hundreds of action, sports, and multiplayer VR games on Meta Quest.

but you can use programs like virutal desktop to use Steam VR to play games from a desktop and will be able to use the oculus link later to play PC games using the oculus store and steam vr.

amusingly using virtual desktop makes it show up as a vive so the oculus pc store doesn't natively work with that :P

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the quest can natively play the games

Shop Meta Quest VR Games, Apps, Deals and More | Meta Quest

Shop VR games, apps, and entertainment available on the Meta Quest headsets. Download hundreds of action, sports, and multiplayer VR games on Meta Quest.

but you can use programs like virutal desktop to use Steam VR to play games from a desktop and will be able to use the oculus link later to play PC games using the oculus store and steam vr.

amusingly using virtual desktop makes it show up as a vive so the oculus pc store doesn't natively work with that :P

Okay so the Quest is able to work on its own, without a PC, but its coming out with a PC link in the near future? Does it have really low graphics then?

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing headset but haven't used it much due to lack of software especially next to the Switch and PS4 which have taken all my (limited) game time

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Can it be played sitting on your bed?

What PC software is required when Link comes out - would it just be the oculus rift one where your games are?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so the Quest is able to work on its own, without a PC, but its coming out with a PC link in the near future? Does it have really low graphics then?
In general I've found the quest games only to be slightly inferior to the ps4 versions of games graphicly but at times looking better than the ps4 stuff as well as the video quality in general is better on the quest (aka easier to read text, but more jaggies on things like the super hot people).

I can produce fairly decent visuals for what it is, but it won't compare to a full blown gaming rig, but will be able to play

with the link or running various programs to stream.

Can it be played sitting on your bed?

yes, and I believe the update to let you lay on your bed in the dark and watch movies went live as the tracking used to freak out in complete darkness (as it uses IR light to track things and it doesn't work in the darkness without a light house, but now it uses just the motion sensors in things in the dark for like netflix)

MrLPG

Dec 29, 2017
Tested out all VR sets on the market, this is the only one I'm regularly using (welp, let's say few times per month) for games. No cables is total difference maker, the only downside is available software. Quest has few gems, but its library is not the biggest out there.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I had almost all the major VR headsets and the Quest is easily my favorite. You're in there immediately, no tether and impressive visuals and tracking for something running entirely off of a battery.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Tested out all VR sets on the market, this is the only one I'm regularly using (welp, let's say few times per month) for games. No cables is total difference maker, the only downside is available software. Quest has few gems, but its library is not the biggest out there.
If you have a gaming computer and a good router I highly recommend giving streaming a try on it. ALVR works for some, for me virtual desktop worked better ( though it costs $20) and in general I can't tell that I'm not natively playing a game while streaming to my headset. I've been able to play games like Gorn and Thumper just fine, though something that requires absolute perfection might have issues as I'm guessing I add 10-20ms of lag on my inputs while streaming.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Installing Oculus Software on PC, 7.34GB.

This is on my C:/ drive. I hope you can install the games on other drives because my C: drive is small.

Looks like you can. Just downloading all my old Rift software from 3 years ago to prepare for Oculus Link.

Do Quest games have any AA or jaggy?

Last edited:

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
What PC software is required when Link comes out - would it just be the oculus rift one where your games are?

However, we were also told that Oculus Link will allow Quest to play "most" Rift content, but not "all." They didn't explain why all apps wouldn't work, though my gut tells me that there could be some apps that use novel rendering that won't work with Oculus Link's unique compression pipeline, or perhaps they're covering their bases on some other technical edge-cases. They also added that developers could opt out of having their Rift apps work with Quest via Oculus Link if they so choose.

While I didn't get a direct answer on whether or not Quest could potentially work with SteamVR, signs point to 'probably', as Oculus said the PC sees Quest pretty much like any other Rift headset. Rift apps won't need to be modified in order to work with Oculus Link, which further suggests that SteamVR compatibility should be possible as long as Oculus doesn't actively try to block it.

The cable will reportedly cost $79.

Carmack said that Quest + Link does not make S obsolete:
"Rift S is more comfortable, lower latency (for now; that may eventually change), doesn't get compressed graphics, and has five-camera tracking."
"It doesn't make any sense to play Beat Saber over the link — play it locally without the cable!"

Last edited:

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
The company confirmed that the Oculus Link connection is not VirtualLink, which means it can plug into any USB 3 port, whether that be with a USB-A or USB-C connector on the PC side.

Additionally, plugging into a USB 3 port directly on the GPU versus one on the motherboard makes no difference, we were told, the rendering tech is the same either way. In fact, in my demo at the show, Quest was plugged into the PC's motherboard. Further, using Oculus' premium cable doesn't change anything about rendering or quality; any other USB 3 cable will work just as well, so long as it's up to spec.

So it can plug into any USB 3 port with no adapters needed? I have front facing USB 3 ports on my computer, so they'll do the job?

If not,will this one do the job.

Satechi Type-A to Type-C Adapter Converter - USB-A Male to USB-C Female

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
My only complaint is, storage is limited, it's a pain having to copy videos over to it; I had an idea to get a tiny USB-C otg drive, but turns out the file system limits it to 4gb per file :( Wish they included microSD support.

You're probably aware of this, but if you're viewing media in your house, it's much easier just to stream it from your computer/file server (in Skybox).

Just looking into this now. So it supports Windows as well as Mac.

Which do you recommend I install it on?

Because when the Oculus Link comes out I will be streaming it from my desktop (Windows) so I think it would be wise to install it on that, or since the software isn't related to each other, I could use my MacBook?

Thanks.

Just an update. I actually bought it yesterday from Amazon, twice ! But I had second thoughts on it and canceled it.

But now I bought it again, chose the 64GB one which I won't be canceling :).

They're definitely not related to each other. Oculus Link is the official PC streaming solution from Oculus. And it'll use the Oculus SDK for playing games. So Windows will definitely be required. Sidequest is just a third-party program that makes it really easy to sideload apps/mods. I think there's a Mac version available. If true, and if you prefer using your Mac, there's no downside to installing it on that. It simply makes sideloading apps onto your Quest really easy. The APKs (that are loaded onto Quest) are the same regardless of which type of computer you use.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Quest is one of the only pieces of tech to really wow me in recent years. Every time I put it on and really consider the fact that this little headset is not only rendering the graphics on screen (TWICE) but also calculating controller positions AND doing inside out tracking (soon hand tracking too). Its fucking crazy how good it works. Also given the fact that you can use it with a USB cable to play PCVR starting next month just really solidifies the purchase IMO. Even without that feature, I felt like it was money well spent. Now its an even more appealing investment.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
Owner of a Vive, CV1, DK2, PSVR, and a Quest.

Quest is the real deal and is my most-used headset by far. The ability to take it into a different room or with me traveling just makes it so much easier to pick up and play. Lately I've been playing a lot of PinballFX2.

For exercise, I play BoxVR, Ninja Legends, and Beat Saber. Highly recommend getting the wipeable pleather VRcover and using a headband if you are doing sweaty workouts. A weight vest is also awesome to amp up the exercise.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
does loosing weight really work with the quest? thinking about getting it

Oh yeah, Box VR has a lot of options and different intensities for ramping it up, it has been a great get in shape tool for me! I am also starting to learn Expert+ songs in Beat Saber, but that game is also a hell of a workout for a lazy nerd like me who literally does 0 exercise. So many games have you moving, it's great if you have the space!

Over the last 3 months my depress is getting better, I have more energy, and I don't feel like exercising is a chore. Just put it on and you are in the gym, it's amazing.

Confort wise I have no problems and have gotten used to it, but smaller people might find it heavy or cumbersome, so your mileage may vary!

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
If you have a gaming computer and a good router I highly recommend giving streaming a try on it. ALVR works for some, for me virtual desktop worked better ( though it costs $20) and in general I can't tell that I'm not natively playing a game while streaming to my headset. I've been able to play games like Gorn and Thumper just fine, though something that requires absolute perfection might have issues as I'm guessing I add 10-20ms of lag on my inputs while streaming.

Yep, same here with Virtual Desktop. More people need to know about how awesome it is to stream PC VR games to the Quest. It totally works and with a 5ghz router there is no noticeable lag or anything like that. It's the wireless VR dream and it's already here but people just don't realize it. I've been playing a bunch of stuff through Steam VR for weeks now and it all has worked great.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I absolutely love my Quest.

I bought a PSVR last year and used it a bit, including Astro Bot. Astro Bot itself was fantastic, as well as some other games like Moss, but I always had problems with the headset itself - "world drift" always happened no matter how carefully I tried to calibrate things over and over again, which is immensely nauseating, especially in Moss. and managing the cables was just a pain.

So when the Quest came out, I sold my PSVR and honestly don't miss it at all. There are a couple PSVR exclusives I wish I could play, but the Quest is such a fundamentally better experience in every way, that it's worth missing out on those couple of PSVR exclusives.

I've put 40+ hours into Beat Saber, many hours into other games like Vader Immortal, Super Hot, and Serrento VR, and a bunch of others.

The ease of picking up and just....using it, is a revelation. No tracking issues, no cables to mess around with, no "world drift", and excellent hand controllers easily offset the relative under-powered-ness of the headset itself.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, same here with Virtual Desktop. More people need to know about how awesome it is to stream PC VR games to the Quest. It totally works and with a 5ghz router there is no noticeable lag or anything like that. It's the wireless VR dream and it's already here but people just don't realize it. I've been playing a bunch of stuff through Steam VR for weeks now and it all has worked great.

They're also working on an update that includes foveated and sliced rendering. So it should get a nice little bump in the quality/latency category in the not too distant future.

There's definitely lag, though. Maybe some people won't notice it, but it's definitely YMMV. Something like Pinball FX2 VR is unplayable to me because of the lag. And something like Compound, which I don't actively notice the lag on, will make me motion sick in ways that the Vive won't. The creator says best case lag scenario's are 10 - 20 ms for desktop streaming and low 50s for PCVR streaming. These numbers should be reduced with sliced rendering though.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the Oculus travel case. Somewhere to store it in rather than the actual box.

My order should arrive today. Amazon already billed me now so I can't cancel it :).

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry about double post but sharing my impressions

Had my Quest over a week and I really like it.

How easy to set up and use, the controllers are great and its portability is unmatched.

I've played plenty of games and used just as many apps and I'm still blown away.

VR lives up to its name, it's just like you're in another world and it's something everyone should try.

SDE ( screen door effect) is limiting the technology however. I know they're making progress worth higher PPI screens, but once we reach the point where DSE is completely gone or significantly minimised we can truly see what VR is capable of.

Everything around you (at hand's reach ) is clear and acceptable, but things into the distance - all I can see is SDE and jaggies :(.

No AA in most if not all games means the image is "swimming" in jaggies and its very distracting.

Coming from Rift, not having this tethered is worth it alone. I only had the Xbone controller with Rift too, and I now I have the complete VR experience. Picking up things and examining them is darn cool.

Overall, very good and pleased with it. Looking forward to trying out new stuff and games built for the quest.

Last edited:

VirtualReach

Jul 21, 2019
The quest is a really cool piece of tech and a critical milestone along the way to ubiquitous VR. That said, the value proposition is entirely dependent on your gaming preferences.

There are still major problems with physical comfort (I've tried numerous soft mods that I've seen online to alleviate headset pressure to no avail). Personally, I start to feel mildly uncomfortable at around 30 minutes into a session and my face hurts if i play for around an hour straight (depending on the game). I'm talking about the headset pressure here, not any forms of VR sickness (which I can't remember having on the Quest personally)

Many games on the Quest (and VR in general) tend to be on the shorter side and some others still feel like fleshed out tech demos compared to other video game platforms. Prices tend to be a bit higher relatively too since Devs have to compensate for a smaller install-base.

All that said, after using the quest, its hard for anyone with a semblance of imagination to deny that the future for gaming is VR/AR. It's also really cool to see older generations putting on the headset and intuitively interacting with their environment. These are people who have never played video games in their life yet have no issues doing so in VR. IMO the future of XR gaming is going to be far more inclusive of more demographics than traditional mediums.

Software releases are happening regularly but slowly - Although, it looks like things will be picking up in 2020. Personally, I'd love to see more seated experiences rather than more room-scale arena shooters.

Official support for streaming from PC VR games is another killer feature! Even using Virtual Desktop to acheive the same thing has worked really well.

Take the criticisms that I, and others have provided, into account before making a purchase. There's a lot to love about the Quest but this current gen is not for everyone yet.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I start to feel mildly uncomfortable at around 30 minutes into a session and my face hurts if i play for around an hour straight (depending on the game). I'm talking about the headset pressure here, not any forms of VR sickness

I've been getting red marks across both cheekbones and two lines on my forehead, and when I press on them they hurt a little.

I ended up loosing up the straps quite a bit and bought a Esimen VR Face Silicone Cover Mask & Face Pad. It's just a skin that goes covers the face pad.

It's cool on your skin and from my last session today, I got very little to no red marks.

OP
OP
VileZero

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
Which version of the Oculus Quest do owners recommend purchasing, the 64GB or 128GB?

I always like to err on the side of more storage space, but I have no idea how much storage space each game takes up. Is 64GB enough? Should I shell out an extra $100 for the 128GB?

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I have the 64GB Quest and see absolutely no reason to get 128GB. The games are plenty small enough, and I have ~5-10 games installed and am barely using up my space.