• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
UMvC3_Cover.jpg

''
MVC3 was the third installement in the Marvel vs Capcom series and the first one I've played. What does ERA think of it? I enjoyed it a lot and thought while the cast had some odd choices, it was good and music was dope. I disliked the lack of story mode which was promised by the trailers and some missing folks was weird too like the FF

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Cool game that a lot of people would still play if it had rollback. Probably the most enjoyable game to watch at tournaments, crowds get wild.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Best game in the series, easy. Best roster as well, as it had a good mix of fan-favorites, usual suspects, & deep cuts. There are some glaring omissions, though (Black Panther, Carol, Mega Man, etc.).

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I thought that UMvC 3 was even better than MvC 2. We've received a much better decent variety of characters, & all of them were remade from the ground up over the copy & paste style from MvC 2 in which about 43 of the returning cast of characters were recycled from X-Men: Children of the Atom to MvC 1. And also a million times better than MvC: I (only the gameplay on that was good).

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It was so close to perfect. One more patch, I think it could have got there.

But yeah I have...several thousand hours in marvel 3. It's as good as it is incredibly infuriating.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Maybe my favourite fighting game of all time. Such a sick roster, insane plays and some of the best EVO moments of all time. Maybe not the best fighting game of all time, but very few have provided me with as much entertainment.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Infinite's a good game. It's just ugly as sin and had some really predatory DLC practices built into it. IF the infinity stone effects weren't SO crazy, I'd probably have stuck with it longer. Didn't help that most of the characters I liked from 3 didn't come over.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was so close to perfect. One more patch, I think it could have got there.

But yeah I have...several thousand hours in marvel 3. It's as good as it is incredibly infuriating.

Agreed, all they really have to do is add new characters to this formula and we can get a new game out of this

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
In for Infinite being the game I prefer due to gameplay, I prefer the 4 button layout as well like MvC2.

UMvC3 is pretty great, definitely loved the roster given to us. I can only imagine what we actually would have ended up with if things didn't go the way they did regarding the tragedy.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Great game, shame they never made a sequel

Also the art style is great and ages well imho

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Infinite's a good game. It's just ugly as sin and had some really predatory DLC practices built into it. IF the infinity stone effects weren't SO crazy, I'd probably have stuck with it longer. Didn't help that most of the characters I liked from 3 didn't come over.
No X-men and the story is ass

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the art, the roster, but hated how it played, and didn't like watching it much either.

I'd much rather play 2 or Infinite.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Greatest fighter of all time if got a final patch. For now, my favourite and the most stylish with the coolest shit still happening.

Greatest in my heart too T_T

Personally I think only ST is a better representative for the fighting games genre. This game is the pinnacle of player expression, simplicity with deep mastery in a fighter. Even the strong face roll shit can get countered by something other than a mirror. Really a shame about the TAC infinites.

The only game that has presentation coming close is 3S. I think Xrd, what we've seen of strive, CvS2 and DBFZ are verifiable step below although DBFZ is the best of the next. Only outright prettier game is KOF13 due to ridiculously priced hd sprites.

Last edited:

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
So much fun. So much hype. ammy for life. Some amazing tourneys and fgc moments. The last "new" fighting game I played at Chinatown Fair before it closes down.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very exciting game with a fantastic style and excellent presentation. I suck ass at it but it's super fun to watch.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
great game. i own it on three different platforms (360, ps3 and vita)

i dont understand why its still not on switch (or infinite for this matter) i would quadruple dip.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
3rd favorite MvC game behind MVCI and MVC2 respectively

roster felt like a natural evolution for the times, capcom-side in particular just had an enormous amount of franchise coverage by ultimate and finally seeing characters like Haggar and Phoenix Wright hit the stage was a dream for me at the time. Marvel side felt really unique for the time but Cyclops and Venom sitting the game out still feels weird now

music was great, a lot of the remixes are honestly the definitive version of those themes for me even now (cap america theme comes to mind)

art direction was great but i genuinely find a lot of the UI choices in umvc3 to be a downgrade from mvc3, namely the lifebars and select screen

gameplay itself is kinda where i fall off because i dont really like the LMHS system compared to LPHP/LKHK and x-factor is a very overwhelming mechanic for me, and online play for it is still a very below average experience where infinite is buttery smooth and even mvc2 on modern emulators is far more tolerable

one thing i'll say as an aside too, it's always interesting to think back that the upgrade edition came out in the same calendar year as the original release of mvc3, i remember people being so pissed and talking about how scummy of a business tactic it was to get people to buy in for 60 in february and then get them in for another 40 at the end of the year, and you still didnt even get the dlc characters from the original version unless you paid for them. I understand the earthquakes in japan at the time really screwed up their release plans but people were definitely feeling bitter about having to pay 40 bucks for ssf4 with no upgrade path the year before i'm sure

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
I would buy a remake with rollback netcode and proper ranked online system In a heartbeat. Unfortunately that's never going to happen

Aimi

self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 16, 2021
Solid fighting game. Huge roster selection and really fun arcade style fight mechanics. 3 on 3 was great as you can experiment with many different combinations.
Buy beers and invite some friends over. Fun for hours.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely incredible game, one of the GOAT's.

Still play it to this day.

Miss the victory results music of the original that got replaced in ultimate, though. :P

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Great game buried under some questionable design choices and awful balancing.

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
the best of all time. has it's issues like any fighting game, especially one that gets long in the tooth but in the scope of what makes a fighting game 'good', in the sense of personal expression, creativity, competitive drive, intensity... it's very, very, very high up there. it doesn't get enough credit for how smartly designed it is across the board, especially in the scope of mvc3->umvc3

it's a real damn shame they got their legs cut off mid-development for UMVC3 in exchange for SFXT, but it is what it is.

an interesting aspect to it is that it's basically the last modern fighting game that got to experience a natural evolution/lifecycle of it's tech - no patches, no seasons, nothing like that. just players in the sandbox, working things out their own way. it's very much the last of it's kind in a lot of ways.

that unreleased patch probably would've introduced it's own slew of issues, but the top characters definitely were probably the biggest issue overall in what stops it from being seen as an all-time great in general. even then, morrigan is probably the last time a low tier hero char will ever truly see that kind of success story, livni' the dream and all, haha.

a shit tier character going from arguably one of the worst in the game to the best in the game by pure player exploration and nothing else. not a player being exceptional beyond belief with a bad character, but genuine development of the character's tools and understanding of the game causing a paradigm shift. it's the stuff of stories.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The only thing I wish MVC3 did different style wise was the music. The idea of the tune changing based on character and the current match is a good idea on paper. But it never felt as nice as just having stage music like in MVC2.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I remember loving the Heroes and Heralds mode they added in a later patch for Ultimate. It wasn't a awesome story mode like I wanted (considering how Infintes story mode that's a good thing), but it was nice to have another single player mode to play.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xfactor and Tacs are really bad. Dbfz got xfactor right at least as of s3 but tacs are unequivocally trash. Great everything else though. Infinite is great but I prefer lmhs cause I'm big dumb

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hate X-factor loved the game and the time it was king. I see people mentioning Infinite and I will say this of all the recent tag fighters, production values aside I felt it was the most fun and interesting mechanically.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I only played Ultimate, but honestly I think it sucks and I can't understand how anyone enjoys playing this game. Xfactor is the worst mechanic in a fighting game.

Kimchi_Breath

Oct 25, 2017
I was trash at this game, but I loved watching high level play at tournaments. MarlinPie's C. Viper play always brought the hype.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Great game and the game that finally got me to invest in a decent arcade stick, the same one I use to this day.

I still like MvC2 the most but 3 is a hell of a good game.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
the game just feels slick to play, so fluid.

they adapted the moves for characters from their games/comics perfectly. dante and vergil feel great, as does dr strange

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
While far from the type of fighting game I enjoy, there are few games with as much heart put into them as MvC3.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Great games. Much needed improvements in ultimate with TAC changes and a ton of otg options added across the cast

Even with flagrant balance issues it still has a ton of teams viable.

Honestly if a mvc4 isn't doable if theyd just release umvc3 with a balance update, and rollback itd be huge. Bonus points if they finally added offline options for heroes and heralds mode because it was an incredible sandbox Koryu mode style idea that choked because it was online only and you couldn't enjoy it with friends for a shenanigans tournament where you customized folks (ironfist with air dashes is incredible).

Not even joking when I say if mvci only had a season of dlc in sfv size budget I wouldn't mind them throwing that sorta small budget at a rollback super turbo umvc3. Folks would love to come back to it.
Same for mvc2 honestly. Release 2 remix editions with mvc2/umvc3 both comin out with rollback/balance updates and you can take your time on any new fighters for a long while capcom .

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Fun times with that game, also the first fighting game I actually tried to, like, learn to actually play
I got tons of hatemail on PS3 playing it online. I always wondered, do this many people have keyboards on their PS3? Or are they so full of rage that they type this shit with a Dualshock 3?

I always led with Zero. He was quite mobile, but, compared to other characters mobile in a way I could wrap my head (and fingers) around.

I adored that Ammy was in it.

My button-mashing roommate always managed to beat me with Wesker. Guess I sucked. Lol.

Then Capcom started making some moves that fans (myself included) were getting upset about. On-disc DLC and such.
Then they released Ultimate less than a year after MvC3. I was beyond pissed, and dropped the game entirely (and Capcom, for a few years).

Blu

Oct 25, 2017
What story mode promise?

What were you expecting in said story mode?