• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you like Magus?

• He's my favorite character!

Votes: 29 7.3%
  • I like him a lot, both as a character and a party member

Votes: 287 71.9%
  • I like his character but I don't like to use him in combat

Votes: 59 14.8%
  • I only liked him as a villain

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • I don't like him at all

Votes: 8 2.0%

• Total voters
Nov 1, 2017
I killed Magus in my first playthrough, his dialogue in the scene where you can opt out of fighting him is deliberately confrontational and the game nudges you in that direction. Didn't realise he could be used as a party member. Soon as i found out i fired up CT for a NG+ session and got him in my party who then promptly replaced Crono in my normal go to team of Crono, Marle and Lucca.

CT remains probably my favourite SNES RPG, it's just so fucking good at everything that it does. Nails the characters, the story beats, the little moments, even the replayability with all the different endings. Where the hell is the Chrono Trigger remake, Square?

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I liked him as a character, but I always just let Frog kill him. Seems like a better conclusion to his character arc than "I dunno I guess we're cool now."

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I love him, he floats and has a lot of useful skill. His identity as Janus is well kept and I love the endings where he had some more dialogue with Schala.
My team in the end was Ayla/Frog/Magus or Crono.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
He was supposed to be Guile originally.

Masato Kato: To let the cat out of the bag, in the early stages of development, Guile was indeed meant to be Magus. In our original plan, the true identity of Guile was supposed to be Magus after the events in Trigger. (At the end of Trigger, Magus [a.k.a. Janus in Trigger and Magil in Radical Dreamers] disappeared into a Time Gate to go searching for his big sister, Schala, who was lost somewhere in time.) However, as the game's development progressed and we decided to use such a huge number of playable characters, we decided not to make him be Magus. We thought it was impossible to portray the relationship between Magus and Schala adequately in this game. So we changed tracks, made the colors of the Magus character design paler, and turned him into Guile, the magician. In a way, it's a pity, as I really would like to have seen the valiant figure of Magus come to life again.
Okay that actually makes me angrier ..lol. The fact they wanted it but decided against it and instead just trash the character .ugh

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • Awesome villain
  • That first boss fight with him kicked my ass super hard
  • Great optional party member
  • Becomes pretty much useless story-wise once he joins
  • Not sparing him pretty much gives you nothing even though it makes more sense for Frog
Those are my thoughts on Magus. Cool character and it's awesome he joins you but he might as well not exist once he becomes a party member.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
I feel bad for those who fought him instead of recruiting him towards the end. He, Marle, and Crono were my A-Team.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Top tier party member. Triple techs were fuckin amazing, and I'm a sucker for heel turns. He's a great pick for a fav character, too bad
FROGS RULE FROGS 4 LYFE

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It was shocking that he wasn't Guile. I mean , he even shows is face to someone and she says something like "Oh that's who you are" I was positive it was him . Then the stupid internet came along and dashed that . He was my favorite character btw

He was supposed to be Guile originally, but they cut it when they chose to focus on a large cast. The DS/PC version of Chrono Trigger has a new ending that sets up Magus becoming Guile though so they basically made it official in the end.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I wish Glenn turned back tono a human that you could actually use in fights if you opted to kill him. There's little to no payoff for offing him other then losing a powerful ally.

Yeah I wish the choice had more weight. Or at least it would be awesome if there was a scene where Frog flips out on the rest of the party:

"What, you DIDN'T KILL HIM!?!? You do realize that means I spend the rest of my life as a fucking FROG don't you?!?!. You pieces of trash, do you realize how hard it is to put on pants every morning? My life is agony, you fools. Did I not literally save you from the same wizard you just let free? And in return you repay me with a lifetime of froggery. Fuck the lot of thou. "

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
No confusion. After the events of CT, Magus managed to open a portal to the Darkness of Time (called "Time's Eclipse" by the CT DS translator) and he fought the Lavos/Schala fusion, but failed. In a moment of clarity, Schala erased his memory and warped him to the present time. He is Guile from Chrono Cross.
Well that ending sparked a lot of debate, some felt that it confirmed Guile as Magus and others claimed that it opened up more plot holes, cementing that Guile could not be Magus.

Case in point:
Well there essentially is nothing in Cross to tie Magus to, since he was excised from it completely.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well I'm not very happy OP pointed out his leather underwear (I never noticed) but I still think he's a great character.

My experience of Chrono Trigger when younger was renting it from the local video store. It was only on occasional weekends when I'd get to rent something, but we lived in a small enough town so that my game save on the bottom was never erased. After some time I eventually got to Magus' castle for the first fight against him, cleared the encounter and had to take the game back to the shop shortly thereafter. After that the video store in question sold all their SNES games, and I never got to play it again until some years later. It made the twist sink in even harder!

Chrono Trigger is such a great game.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I've been alternating between Magus & Schala theme as my alarm for like well over a decade, yah, I'm a fan.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
0o5y212.jpg

cool!

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
I thought he was a pretty deep character at the time of release. Especially compared to some other console rpgs. I do have a bias as I went as |MaguS| for a long time online in the 90s and early 2000s.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Magus is a better Vegeta than Vegeta.

You can't really beat that feeling of someone you thought was going to be the big bad joining your party.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Love him. Still disappointing they replaced him with Guile in Cross. Like why? They could have done some great shit with him and Kid. Would have really put a cherry on top of Magus' story, but sadly that's just forever incomplete.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you know? Radical Dreamers doesn't just have Magus, it had a flashback of Janus, too:

Once the light has faded, we're treated with a scene of a vividly colored, beautiful courtyard...
Amidst a number of trees' shadows, a boy and a girl are sitting and playing.
Somehow I know that the boy is Magil. Even as a child, his trademark spirit shines through.
The girl, however, looks strangely familiar. Where have I seen that face before... perhaps that painting in the study?
They're talking happily together. We're too far away to hear what they're saying, though.
Then all of a sudden, he says something with a serious look suddenly in his eyes.
Although surprised, the girl listens to what the boy has to say, and then nods.
The two press their hands together, linking fingers. It looks as though they're making a promise of some sort.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I liked him as a character, but I always just let Frog kill him. Seems like a better conclusion to his character arc than "I dunno I guess we're cool now."
Magus is one of my favorite characters but I always loved that badass moment.

"Crono was a bitch."

"...Stand back. I'm going to kill this fucker myself."

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I like the character.

On my last playthroughs I've always used these combination of characters

Crono + Ayla + Robo

Crono + Marle + Frog

I'll probably use Magus in a future playthrough (maybe not on PC but if I replay the SNES or PS1 ver).

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Oops, guess I forgot he had some triple techs.

Still, his lack of cooperation is pretty much the only thing keeping him out of my party at all times

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I killed Magus in my first playthrough, his dialogue in the scene where you can opt out of fighting him is deliberately confrontational and the game nudges you in that direction. Didn't realise he could be used as a party member. Soon as i found out i fired up CT for a NG+ session and got him in my party who then promptly replaced Crono in my normal go to team of Crono, Marle and Lucca.

CT remains probably my favourite SNES RPG, it's just so fucking good at everything that it does. Nails the characters, the story beats, the little moments, even the replayability with all the different endings. Where the hell is the Chrono Trigger remake, Square?
Yeah, he was really egging for a fight. It struck me as almost suicidal considering he was unable to change his own personal history and save his sister. Talking shit about one of the heroes who had been just lost, especially to the one guy equipped to take him down for good, seemed like he had completely given up on challenging Lavos again. Maybe he wanted to die?

Then you deny his death wish and he eventually comes to the realization that these motherfuckers have a fucking TIME MACHINE.

Did you know? Radical Dreamers doesn't just have Magus, it had a flashback of Janus, too:
It's been a while since I've last completed RD but I don't remember this passage at all, is it one of those optional scripts that you never see unless you trigger certain flags?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Magus is dope. I don't love using him because of his lack of party synergy but I've definitely done it.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
It kind of fit his character though. While the other party members were True Companions in the true sense of the word, Magus remained kind of a dick who was tagging along because it suited his purposes, but wasn't gonna get chummy with that naive bunch of do-gooders and it was neat seeing this aspect of him translated into actual gameplay.

Only kind of though, especially if you consider his entire character arc rather than the present him. Since the techs are such a big part of the game and he's not OP enough to offset that I would have liked a few more unlockable ones at least

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
+Hovers while dashing

He has triple techs btw, they're just all dependent on equipping accessories.

The lack of dual techs really sucks though.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
as a kid i thought he was the coolest mother f'er in the world

now i just can't get over his hairline, insipid as that sounds. you want jrpg characters in their late 20s+... but when it happens...

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Janus is awesome, really wish we got a proper chrono trigger sequel that followed up on his story, Crimson Echo's does a much better job than Cross despite being a fan game.

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, he was really egging for a fight. It struck me as almost suicidal considering he was unable to change his own personal history and save his sister. Talking shit about one of the heroes who had been just lost, especially to the one guy equipped to take him down for good, seemed like he had completely given up on challenging Lavos again. Maybe he wanted to die?

Then you deny his death wish and he eventually comes to the realization that these motherfuckers have a fucking TIME MACHINE.

Never thought about it that way but if you consider how the initial Lavos fight went down it actually checks out. He spent all that time and effort posing as the prophet to get his chance to take out Lavos and when it came down to it he couldn't do shit, basically. Especially considering how cocky he was of his own power it probably messed him up more than he already was.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never thought about it that way but if you consider how the initial Lavos fight went down it actually checks out. He spent all that time and effort posing as the prophet to get his chance to take out Lavos and when it came down to it he couldn't do shit, basically. Especially considering how cocky he was of his own power it probably messed him up more than he already was.
I'd want suicide too if my foster parents were Ozzie, Slash, and Flea

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not only is his story good and extends beyond the game, his look is a mix of Vegeta and Sephiroth with a fucking scythe as a weapon.

What's there not to like.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
One of the best handled bonus characters ever. Not having dual or triple techs makes perfect sense for his character.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
The first time I fought him is one of my greatest gaming memories. I absolutely loved his battle theme and his animations.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
he's cool as a character, but kind of crap as a party member and when he joins in CT is at a point in the story where he never really gets a moment to shine as someone on the crew

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason Magus is weaker and has access to less spells as an ally than when you fought him is because Lavos drained his powers

AaA9To8.png

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
To this day, I've never actually done that lol.
I just did it in my first new game plus to see what happens, as I honestly was expecting it not to be a real choice like so many games do. I regretted that I did it later on but I continue playing the game without him in the party. But I regretted that later as on other new game plus there was a big level disparity with him and the rest of the team.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
who needs dual techs when access to all three Tier 2 elemental magics + Gold Stud will clear about 90% of all mobs and leave you with plenty of magic to spare?

He's definitely not great against bosses, or 'strong against magic' and 'absorb Shadow' enemy types though.