• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Just moved into my new house, put my 65" Sony X950 in the living room where it belongs.

Looks great & is bright for living room watching but I want a 55" LG OLED for the bedroom for night viewing of Apple TV 4K content & PS5.

I want to buy it in March for Disco Elysium & The Falcon & The Winter Soldier but I know new sets come out in like May.

Any news on the 2021 model / shortcomings on the 2020 model that would make it worth the time & money to wait?

Oct 25, 2017
I think at this point any new OLED releases next year will have diminishing returns compared to the C9/CX. Just get either one and you'll be good to go in terms of feature sets.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
We won't know until CES 2021, right? I'm assuming they'll have better/more stable HDMI 2.1 support, but beyond that, no idea.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The OLEDs are always on significant discount at the end of the year. Expect to pay significantly more for an 11 unless you wait until later next year.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
Anything lacking from CX implementation in regards to gaming? I won't have a receiver or speakers in the bedroom, so I'm really only interested in 4K/120, VRR, etc.

The only outstanding issue I know of is raised near-blacks in VRR, however this issue affects more than just 2019/2020 OLEDs. That's a tricky problem to solve so hard to say if they will fix it with the 2021 OLEDs. And it's relatively subtle so it may not even bother you.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
How it's going to go :
C1 gets announced in January 2021. People that bought CX say it's not worth to pay more or wait given the current prices of the CX.
January - May : Doesn't matter, practically unavailable.
May - October : People that bought CX restate that it's not worth to pay more or wait given the current prices.
November : Price comes down, CX is practically unavailable so the whole point is moot.
December : People start asking about the C2.
C2 gets announced in January 2022. People that bought C1 say it's not worth to pay more or wait given the current prices of the C1.

Oct 25, 2017
Anything lacking from CX implementation in regards to gaming? I won't have a receiver or speakers in the bedroom, so I'm really only interested in 4K/120, VRR, etc.
Technically, CX has less HDMI 2.1 bandwidth than the C9, but nothing else. This could affect 4k/120 gaming, but I am not too sure.

The only improvements for next year I could think off is either bigger brightness improvements and that's about it. OLED has matured enough in terms of technology, but cheaper sets should be on the forecast for 2021 once production ramps back up..

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I held off on buying a CX this year for the following reasons:

-Was looking to get a 77" model, which still sees a hefty price hike at that size compared to what non-OLEDs run at that model (you're looking at a 55" inch model and I think those and the 65" ones are priced much more competitively versus non-OLED, so less of an issue)
-Additional competition in the OLED market, likely to continue further in 2021 means those prices are going to come down
-Nascent HDMI 2.1 support. Most of the issues with the models already out are being addressed by firmware, and they're usually issues for potentially fringe configurations, but I want to see how next year's models address them.
-After CES announcements pass in early January, we'll have a much better idea of what's on the horizon (for both OLED and competing technologies like Micro LED) and you'll have the option to pick up a CX during the traditional Super Bowl sale period if it seems the 2021 models aren't quite as compelling or the prices look likely to stay the same

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah the big improvement was gonna be HDMI 2.1 features. Maybe they get the brightness or ABL slightly improved? I'm still hoping they can eventually get manufacturing sorted out to make vertical banding less of an issue.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
Got a C9, super happy with it.
Heard that oled will not have big leaps in the future. They are super expensive at release and not worth their price in respect of improvements to previous model.
Best time to buy one is around november ordecember where they are mostlyat their cheapest.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I'm debating on a 65 LG CX right now. The room is slightly bright in the day with two windows (they don't shine directly onto the TV)

with a series X and a PS5 I need more than one hdmi 2.1 port like theQ80T from Samsung I was looking at.

any advice?

Last edited:

Dragonborn

Oct 30, 2017
I am waiting because the 77 inch is too much of an increase in price, hoping it goes down in price over the next couple years

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
the 55CX can be hard to get, I was buying a whole new home theatre (TV and sound system) and ended up having to go with the cheaper BX 55 (400 bucks savings not bad) because the CX was consntatly on "back order"... I could have gotten it from another store mind you (so maybe not that hard lol) but wanted it all together (which saved me even more money as the Best Buy guys heaped discounts on me)... I love my BX though so no complaints....

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
I held off on buying a CX this year for the following reasons:

-Was looking to get a 77" model, which still sees a hefty price hike at that size compared to what non-OLEDs run at that model (you're looking at a 55" inch model and I think those and the 65" ones are priced much more competitively versus non-OLED, so less of an issue)
-Additional competition in the OLED market, likely to continue further in 2021 means those prices are going to come down
-Nascent HDMI 2.1 support. Most of the issues with the models already out are being addressed by firmware, and they're usually issues for potentially fringe configurations, but I want to see how next year's models address them.
-After CES announcements pass in early January, we'll have a much better idea of what's on the horizon (for both OLED and competing technologies like Micro LED) and you'll have the option to pick up a CX during the traditional Super Bowl sale period if it seems the 2021 models aren't quite as compelling or the prices look likely to stay the same

Don't expect prices to come down due to increased competition, LG is the only manufacturer of oled panels and everyone else has to buy panels from them, they set the price for the whole market basically and they know micro led is around the corner so I see it as them squeezing out every last bit of profit until then.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
My takeaway from the CX is that LG is focused more on cost cutting right now. We saw them reduce the bandwidth of their HDMI 2.1 chipset and remove DTS decoding compared to the C9. They also seem to be delaying conversion of their factories to top-emission panels, which is the only major technical improvement on the horizon.

It makes some sense considering that they are not facing particularly strong competition in terms of picture quality at the moment. MicroLED is still a long ways off, and it will probably take Samsung a while to catch up with QD-OLED.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I jumped from a C9 to a CX and the IQ improvements were pretty minimal. I was getting a larger screen and wanted 2.1 features.

I am going to go out on a limb and say it'll have slightly more stable 2.1 feature support and moderate improvements on IQ, but I think no NITS increase on HDR from the CX.

We're at the point of extreme diminishing returns on these sets. Save the cash and get the CX.

We're in the kind of position that the Kuro was in back in the day which is they are just dunking on everyone and needing to improve the IQ is just not a priority for anyone.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Thanks every one!

you'll have the option to pick up a CX during the traditional Super Bowl sale period if it seems the 2021 models aren't quite as compelling or the prices look likely to stay the same

I'm going to take a look at Super Bowl time, then. Hopefully I can snag one for a good price and be set in time for the back half of WandaVision!

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Technically, CX has less HDMI 2.1 bandwidth than the C9, but nothing else. This could affect 4k/120 gaming, but I am not too sure.

I believe DTS was dropped between the C9 and CX as well. Which may be an issue as the LGs are known to suffer audio delay with any Dolby bitstream signals (which can result in considerable audio lag during gaming) and I've read that the issue is far better if using DTS instead.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I believe DTS was dropped between the C9 and CX as well. Which may be an issue as the LGs are known to suffer audio delay with any Dolby bitstream signals (which can result in considerable audio lag during gaming) and I've read that the issue is far better if using DTS instead.

is that just an issue when using a reciever? i'd be using the built in speakers with the wife + headphones (airpods + apple tv or plugged into a dual sense) for myself

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
is that just an issue when using a reciever? i'd be using the built in speakers with the wife + headphones (airpods + apple tv or plugged into a dual sense) for myself

It is not going to be an issue for your use case.

Lack of DTS support is mostly a problem for using the built-in apps on the TV with videos that have DTS tracks.

If you are using an external source like a console, PC, or Blu-ray player with a DTS audio track, you can usually decode the track in the external device and output the audio in uncompressed PCM format to the TV with no loss in quality.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Lack of DTS support is mostly a problem for using the built-in apps on the TV with videos that have DTS tracks.

If you are using an external source like a console, PC, or Blu-ray player with a DTS audio track, you can usually decode the track in the external device and output the audio in uncompressed PCM format to the TV with no loss in quality.

oh great, i never use built-in apps

apple tv or death

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
the 55CX can be hard to get, I was buying a whole new home theatre (TV and sound system) and ended up having to go with the cheaper BX 55 (400 bucks savings not bad) because the CX was consntatly on "back order"... I could have gotten it from another store mind you (so maybe not that hard lol) but wanted it all together (which saved me even more money as the Best Buy guys heaped discounts on me)... I love my BX though so no complaints....

I got the 55bx also no complaints. Saved about $350 and got some lg wireless earbuds with it that are about $130 on their own. I've read that that the CX is brighter overall and all the hdmi ports are 2.1. I couldn't careless about more hdmi 2.1 ports and I don't have a problem with the lower brightness of the bx as the room I have it in doesn't get direct sunlight. Also I'm coming from a 7 year old 1080p sony 3D LED so the bx is a huge upgrade in picture quality.

Last edited:

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First, we don't know anything yet about the C1. Also I'm waiting for 55 CX to be at a 1k and then I'll jump

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm debating on a 65 LG CX right now. The room is slightly bright in the day with two windows (they don't shine directly onto the TV)

with a series X and a PS5 I need more than one hdmi 2.1 port like theQ80T from Samsung I was looking at.

any advice?
Just go for it. Picture quality is excellent, and all 4 HDMI ports are 2.1 including the ARC enabled one.
The Samsung only has 1, and it's not the ARC port, so you can forget using HDMI 2.1 AVR or soundbars in the future with that one.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Only thing I would miss is they upgrade the panel to 12bit, but that will take times for people to adopt, I think even uhd bd with dolby vision hdr are only 10bit colour anyway. Second thing would be they incorporated mcable like old game enhancement, like applying smaa to any source, will be great for everything especially switch and last gen consoles. Which could actually happen as we see LG does care about gaming and their video processors is very good. Not sure they can improve gamma shifting with vrr but I doubt they can fix it this fast, may take a few gen. Making panels twice as bright, not very likely.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I got the 55bx also no complaints. Saved about $350 and got some lg wireless earbuds with it that are about $130 on their own. I've read that that the CX is brighter overall and all the hdmi ports are 2.1. I couldn't careless about more hdmi 2.1 ports and I don't have a problem with the lower brightness of the bx as the room I have it in doesn't get direct sunlight. Also I'm coming from a 7 year old 1080p sony 3D LED so the bx is a huge upgrade in picture quality.

Yeah I went from a 9 year old Samsung 1080p and i run my bx exclusively on filmmaker mode heh.

The additional 2.1s would have been nice though with me having both new consoles but ah well

JetBlackPanda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
Yeah but one of them is the eArc hdmi port that I have run to my receiver

gotcha. Anyway, I will say PS5 looks fantastic on it. Playing even the enhanced PS4 games are like a new experience on this TV. Even The last guardian looks like a new game on here compared to my old tv.

Also apple TV has some nature docs that look amazing on it. It's like looking out an impeccably clean glass window.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I am this close 🤏 to buying a 48CX since my preferred retailer finally restocked them yesterday, after having nothing for months.
The thing which is making me hesitate is that the 48″ model has not been discounted at all: the 55″ is considerably cheaper (especially BX) and the 65″ is only a couple of hundred more. But neither of those really work at my desk.
We're only a few weeks away from CES '21 for details of the C11, but the problem is that there's no way the 48CX will still be in stock by then.

The only improvements for next year I could think off is either bigger brightness improvements and that's about it. OLED has matured enough in terms of technology, but cheaper sets should be on the forecast for 2021 once production ramps back up..
The are still a lot of other improvements that could be made to existing OLED designs.
But I'm not convinced that any of them will start to appear until LG is facing strong competition in the market from similar technologies, as evidenced with their cost-cutting of the CX models.

The CX is still a higher quality display than the C9, but things like the lack of DTS pass-through can be frustrating.
There, the issue is not a lack of DTS(HD) support itself - that can easily be converted to LPCM.
But my understanding is that converting DTS tracks to LPCM means that you lose the metadata required for the object-based DTS:X and Auro-3D formats.

They still have issues with flickering when VRR is being used too, which is unlikely to be resolved without a hardware change.

Don't expect prices to come down due to increased competition, LG is the only manufacturer of oled panels and everyone else has to buy panels from them, they set the price for the whole market basically and they know micro led is around the corner so I see it as them squeezing out every last bit of profit until then.
Technically they are two different companies.
LG Display manufactures the panels, while LG Electronics buys them and develops televisions using them.
That means LGE should actually be competing on a level playing field with other display manufacturers - and I've certainly seen OLEDs using these panels at lower prices than the LG models. In recent sales, LG were actually some of the highest priced models here.

oh great, i never use built-in apps
apple tv or death
It should be noted that Apple TV devices cannot play Dolby Vision, TrueHD + Atmos, or DTS-HD (and thus DTS:X / Auro-3D) if you are ripping your own Blu-rays and trying to stream them.
Some apps can convert TrueHD / DTS-HD to LPCM, but that strips out the object-based metadata.
They don't support a 24Hz output either - only 23.98Hz, which causes minor stuttering in 24Hz native content.
I've also run into buffering issues when trying to stream UHD discs since the tvOS 14 update.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
gotcha. Anyway, I will say PS5 looks fantastic on it. Playing even the enhanced PS4 games are like a new experience on this TV. Even The last guardian looks like a new game on here compared to my old tv.

Also apple TV has some nature docs that look amazing on it. It's like looking out an impeccably clean glass window.

Yeah I'm really happy.

Even 1080p stuff looks great. Watching House MD on Prime and it's great

Disney +'s 4K stuff also looks fantastic

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
just hit a wild ass xmas payday so i'm gonna keep an eye out for a 55 CX... every single day i guess

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
In canada, I hesitated to buy the 55inch CX and now theyre mostly gone, ive been waiting like a month and there are still no restocks :(

Some stores have them but they are the stores with absolutely shit warranties and services, I want something like bestbuy or costco to have them in stock.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
Ordered mine from Costco, should get here Tuesday. I had a bit over $500 from Amazon Visa rewards and almost bought the CX from there but decided to go with Costco instead because I live near one and figured it would be easier to do returns with them if I needed to.

The CX from Costco at the time came with a $100 Costco Cash card, $100 Hulu gift card (I will gift this to someone for xmas), and some All State insurance warranty plan worth $100 that lasts 3 years after the tv manufacturers warranty, extending my warranty to 5 years. And this being Costco, I'd imagine in almost 5 years, if my tv craps out, they would just give me the newer model instead of trying to repair it.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston

What's considered significant? I'm using dolby bitstream passthrough on the optical out on my C9 and haven't noticed any sync issues.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
In canada, I hesitated to buy the 55inch CX and now theyre mostly gone, ive been waiting like a month and there are still no restocks :(

Some stores have them but they are the stores with absolutely shit warranties and services, I want something like bestbuy or costco to have them in stock.

wait what?? i also prefer best buy but now i'm wondering if i'll even be able to buy it lol

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
What's considered significant? I'm using dolby bitstream passthrough on the optical out on my C9 and haven't noticed any sync issues.
It's not an issue outside of game mode where the video is delayed by 97ms according to RTINGS, and the Dolby audio remains in sync.
But when you switch the TV into Game Mode, which reduces the video delay to only 13.5ms (60Hz) or 6.9ms (120Hz) the audio delay with Dolby signals does not drop at all - it remains around 100ms. Only LPCM stays in sync.

Lv99 Slacker

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping that the C1 will address whatever this 4k/120fps issue I keep hearing about with connected pcs.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I saw the writing on the wall in early november, Best Buy was out of stock with mountains of LCD screens ready for the black friday sales. Managed to find a 65CX nearly matching the BB sales price at an audiophile store and went over the next day to grab one.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
My father knows more about all this.

He's mentioned the CX having a few features missing compared to the C9, which is why we went for the latter.

Additionally he's mentioned hearing the next model will be quite the update.

Given that the CX also released at a lower price than the C9 did, it may be worth waiting a few months.

When the C1 does come out, you can go for that model if it's an improvement. Additionally, if not, you could always get the CX instead at a lower price.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if we know much about the 2021 OLEDs, I've looked into it a few times and there aren't a lot of detailed rumors.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

It's still an issue if you are using the TV for passthrough and don't have eARC. Otherwise you can't pas through 5.1 LPCM.

It's only an issue in gaming mode. Regular DD is more tolerable than Atmos (which is horribly laggy) but once it becomes noticeable it's hard to ignore it.

Thankfully my sHARC arrived today which should hopefully allow me to just use 5.1 LCPM passthrough and solve the issue.