• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gyro Aiming for console shooters?

• Yes! I won't play a shooter on a console without a gyro option.

Votes: 111 19.2%
  • Sure. If a game has it, I'll enable it.

Votes: 246 42.6%
  • Hmm. I haven't really tried it, but maybe I would if more games supported it as an option.

Votes: 24 4.2%
  • Meh. I'm comfortable enough with the analogue sticks., and don't really want to.

Votes: 67 11.6%
  • Nope. I've tried it and it's not for me.

Votes: 129 22.4%

• Total voters

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I've shut it off on pretty much every game that comes with it enabled. Something about it just fails to click with me and I think my hands may be too shakey to reliably aim.

It should be put in as an option for those who prefer/like it though. Who knows, maybe I'll find the game that finally has it click for me that way.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
I don't play a lot of shooters, so from a different perspective, it depends. In Breath of the Wild, aiming the bow with the stick and fine tuning with gyro was sublime. But in Age of Calamity, aiming your divine beast with the gyro was a nightmare, and felt like you were fighting it the whole time.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I don't like it in most games, personally, but I know some people love it, so it should be a more common feature in games.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't play a lot of shooters, so from a different perspective, it depends. In Breath of the Wild, aiming the bow with the stick and fine tuning with gyro was sublime. But in Age of Calamity, aiming your divine beast with the gyro was a nightmare, and felt like you were fighting it the whole time.
AoC's gyro aiming is known to be wildly broken, sadly.

May 15, 2018
Denmark
Stick aiming is fixed movement, games sometimes add a certain movement threshold for the camera to start moving faster. Mouse & gyro are acceleration based since they can increase or decrease camera movement speed with finer accuracy than you ever could with stick. I had to do an entire research paper on aiming in games this past summer, so I had to look everywhere.
Ah, now I get what you are saying.
But gyro controls usually don't use an acceleration curve, right?
That's my main pet peeve with stick aiming.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ah, now I get what you are saying.
But gyro controls usually don't use an acceleration curve, right?
That's my main pet peeve with stick aiming.
What you're thinking of is the fact that sticks start moving faster at a fixed point, which gyro lacks since it (like a mouse) can move faster or slower at your discretion.

May 15, 2018
Denmark
What you're thinking of is the fact that sticks start moving faster at a fixed point, which gyro lacks since it (like a mouse) can move faster or slower at your discretion.
Yes, exactly. Theoretically you could imagine a developer locking faster acceleration (sudden gyro) with increased movement (so you could quicky move cursor further) but hopefully noone does that.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I still prefer using a mouse, but for controller aiming, it is essential for me to even consider picking up a shooter on console.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yes, exactly. Theoretically you could imagine a developer locking faster acceleration (sudden gyro) with increased movement (so you could quicky move cursor further) but hopefully noone does that.
In an ideal scenario, the gyroscope should act no differently than a mouse. I even did a whole thread on the topic.
www.resetera.com

The gyroscope should be treated like a mouse in games that support gyro aiming

This is an example of how gyro aiming should be handled in Overwatch (albeit with flick stick enabled, which should also be an option). I noticed that many shooters that implement gyro aiming try to do extra shit with it, such as smoothing your aim or the game not moving the cursor as fast as...
Hell, gyro even has some advantages over a mouse in that you have full range of movement as opposed to a certain amount of surface area (which varies depending on the set-up). The other advantage (being able to turn around on a dime) is more apparent with gyro & flick stick.

Oct 28, 2017
I went back to Doom 2016 on PS4 after playing through it on Switch and it feels so rigid, almost impossible to play without motion controls imo.

So yes I also did the crazy thing of waiting for Eternal to release on Switch before playing it at all. Graphics downgrade, 30 fps – sure, but it's still the superior Doom experience to me.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
It's great. I use it all the time on PC with the Steam Controller. IMO it really needs the flexibility you get on PC to define sensitivity and how it's is activated.

For Cyberpunk I currently have it activate in ADS only, but in other games I might have it active whenever I am touching the right pad ie messing with camera control.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I went back to Doom 2016 on PS4 after playing through it on Switch and it feels so rigid, almost impossible to play without motion controls imo.

So yes I also did the crazy thing of waiting for Eternal to release on Switch before playing it at all. Graphics downgrade, 30 fps – sure, but it's still the superior Doom experience to me.
All the more reason why said gyro options should be brought over to the PS4/PS5 versions of DOOM Eternal. I'd buy the game in a heartbeat.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
On pc at least:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/status-of-metroid-prime-trilogy-on-dolphin.204438/

Isn't it because gyro is not acceleration based that it is so good?
x movement on the gyro always corresponds with y movement in the game
in contrast to the acceleration curve on sticks which changes dependent on the position of the stick.
I believe gyroscope sensors work on the basis of measuring angular velocity, however from the perspective of the user, it's a positional input: how far you rotate the controller should correspond to the rotation in-game. Mouse is also a positional input from the user perspective.

Also from a user standpoint, with traditional fps aiming, analogue sticks are used as a velocity input: the position of the stick applies a continuous rotational velocity in-game.

The difference between a positional input and a velocity input is why gyro is fundamentally better for aiming than the right stick, when implemented correctly.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
This is a good example of why it should always be an option. Of course, there are also going to be people whose hands and wrists are fine but who have issues with their thumbs - so again, it should always be an option.

IMO "gyro aiming" is usually referring to exactly this. People just find "gyro plus right stick aiming" to be a bit long and clunky.
For sure, I don't mind the option existing for people to use but in my case it would only make the experience harder so I really hope it doesn't become a 100% certainty with no way to change it

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with a disability it's the only thing that makes playing FPS and TPS games with a controller bearable to me.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
It's great. I use it all the time on PC with the Steam Controller. IMO it really needs the flexibility you get on PC to define sensitivity and how it's is activated.

For Cyberpunk I currently have it activate in ADS only, but in other games I might have it active whenever I am touching the right pad ie messing with camera control.

I've actually tried it on PC and found that I don't jive so well with always-on or ADS in some games. I really want a third mode, where the gyro only activate when you have your gun/bow/whatever drawn.

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
I've loved it ever since playing the shooting gallery minigame in Ocarina of Time 3DS. It really complements regular stick control nicely. I've never been a fan of motion controls, but gyro just adds an extra layer of control.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I've actually tried it on PC and found that I don't jive so well with always-on or ADS in some games. I really want a third mode, where the gyro only activate when you have your gun/bow/whatever drawn.

But this is exactly I do. I never have it always on, as it causes far too many problems.
It's always mapped to activate when I indicate. I either do this via soft pull of left trigger or whatever is ads, or only activated on right pad touch, which also works great. It's a shame other controllers don't have a touch sensitive right stick etc to support this kind of function

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Gyro aiming is amazing. If an FPS game on Switch doesn't feature it, I won't even buy it. In fact, I'm completely done with ancient dual analog aiming, so if an FPS doesn't offer it, I'm not gonna buy it on any console.

That being said, I think IR-pointer aiming is actually better than Gyro-aiming. Too bad, the Switch doesn't feature it anymore.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
A lot of the perceived accuracy of analog sticks comes down to aim assist. In reality, there's a pretty sizable gap between gyro & stick in terms of raw accuracy (let alone stick vs. mouse). At the end of the day, the edge gyro has over sticks is that, like a mouse, a gyroscope is an acceleration-based method of aiming.

Of course, there should be an option for just sticks for the same accessibility reasons as allowing for gyro aiming. More options are never a bad thing.

You're comparing a shooting range with aomeone obviously highly skilled when the true test would be regular everyday players say in.....COD. And like haptic triggers they will probably turn it off after a couple games because it's more distracting than helpful in tense scenarios.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You're comparing a shooting range with aomeone obviously highly skilled when the true test would be regular everyday players say in.....COD. And like haptic triggers they will probably turn it off after a couple games because it's more distracting than helpful in tense scenarios.
Hard to do that when the option has yet to be adopted in more games. And in the games that have it (Ex: Splatoon), it's being used by the vast majority. There's a reason why there was huge fan demand for gyro aiming in the likes of DOOM & TLoU2.

Either way, more options are never a bad thing.