• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel about Ethan?

• I liked him well enough, but I don't want to see him come back.

Votes: 151 21.0%
  • I liked him, but think he should come back as a protagonist to flesh out his character.

Votes: 187 26.0%
  • I didn't like him, because I didn't like his (lack) of personality or presence.

Votes: 282 39.3%
  • I didn't like him for other reasons (explain).

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Bring him back, but not as a playable character.

Votes: 94 13.1%

• Total voters
Mar 29, 2018
I'm of the belief that talking First Person protagonists is uneffective and if there is a time to use mute protgaonists or "player thought" protgaonists, it's for first person games, and the reason why I tend to avoid first person story driven experiences.
I don't disagree. Just saying a mute FPP protagonist is 100x more a "player-avatar" than a mute TPP protagonist.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Here's the thing. Most RE main characters are kinda boring. Sure, some of them eventually went on to punch boulders, or have fun foils in Ada or Wesker, but divorced of starring in really good games, most characters are just kinda flat.
Yeah. There's not any real character arcs for growth or change happening in any of the games - ironically only 6 actually knows what it's doing there. And characterization is very misguided in the earlier games, giving them the personality it thinks is the most "Likeable" but not considering if it's interesting.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
from the start to the end of the game all the dude cares about is getting his wife to go home. Even when monstrous immortal rednecks are challenging him to chainsaw duels he never gets anything more than moderately annoyed

"No. That's not groovy."

Bro sounds like a disappointed dad lmao

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
He came off more like a blank slate for the player avatar than a traditionally fleshed protagonist like the previous games.

Even Ark Thompson from Survivor had more of a personality than Ethan.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
from the start to the end of the game all the dude cares about is getting his wife to go home. Even when monstrous immortal rednecks are challenging him to chainsaw duels he never gets anything more than moderately annoyed

"No. That's not groovy."

Bro sounds like a disappointed dad lmao
True, he's the one character that wouldn't scream if he came face to face with Nemesis or Mr. X

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I liked Ethan, considering how little he was given. Dude was tougher than he looked.
I'd like to see him back, but in a supporting role.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
His great for the role and not in the ordinary sense given to heroism : he's coming as a knight to save the damsel in distress, but the damsel is a dragon who will ends to save him.

After having finished RE7 I thought would be great to see Capcom launching another IP in the horror genre to clearly distinguish the canonic RE from what they are able to do with others tones of the horror genre.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Until I clicked on this post, I didn't even know what he looked like. He was fine as a surrogate for the player, but wasn't much of a character in his own right. I'd like another game that takes the same approach as RE7, but whether it stars Ethan doesn't really matter to me.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He does not need to come back. He was really the player in case, getting us back into what made Resident Evil great in the first place. He could be referenced but I don't want to see him coming back as some soldier or scientist working for whoever.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Ethan is great because he's a nobody. The game would not have worked if it was one of the usual Resident Evil superheroes. He doesn't need to comeback because the overall story is bigger than him, he's just the viewpoint.

Oct 25, 2017
I went for the last option because I wouldn't mind a game where Mia was the main protagonist and any game with her will probably have him in some capacity.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea he even looked like that. In my mind he looked liked Justin Theroux.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
For what his role was I liked him. That scene where he's arguing with the police officer is pretty good.

It was a fun vantage point for a story, as he's the boyfriend of a bio-terrorism special agent who just stumbles into it all.

If they can find some way to work him into RE8 as a secondary character that could be fun.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I liked him since he said thats not groovy, people will complain he is boring or bland but his everyman attitude and fondness of reattaching limbs make Ethan likeable enough

NOW THIS IS BORING
images

Last edited:

duck-doomster

Feb 1, 2019
I liked him well enough, he was both blah and dry in such a way that was really funny to me, considering the circumstances. I did find Mia more interesting than him, would've preferred more time playing as her. Either way, I would like to see both return in a secondary character capacity, just to see how they're doing and what was happening with Blue Umbrella and the Connections. I'd prefer RE not keep creating new player characters, rather them re-use who they already have.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't really have any strong feelings one way or another but I'd be defo be fine with having more to flesh out the character.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I liked him since he said thats not groovy, people will complain he is boring or bland but his everyman attitude and fondness of reattaching limbs make Ethan likeable enough

NOW THIS IS BORING
images
Looks aside, playing as Chris felt like that was Chris. He talked a lot. He had real opinions about things.

FPS or not, I like that approach a lot better.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
No real thoughts on him as a character, but he worked in RE7. The current cast are superheroes at this point, I liked just having a relative nobody. But his potential connections with Umbrella make him an interesting character I hope returns.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He had funny one-liners but they were clearly trying to make the character an everyman stand-in for the player. You can do strong characterization in first-person, as we see in EoZ and NoH, and even 21, but a lot opt out so for the sake of the Gordon Freeman John Halo effect. It would be fun to see him tossed a reference or two in the future.

As an aside, his name is really good. I wonder if he took his wife's last name.

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even remember this was his name,the most bland and boring protagonist,I don't care if he never come back.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
About the blandest RE character we've gotten in a main role and that's saying something when you look at Bruce Mcgivern & Ark Thompson.

He works for the game he's in though (since the real stars are the baker family). Him and Mia are definitely not characters that need to come back outside files and such giving us an update on their status.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Eh, kind of forgettable. I thought he was fine as a main character in a FPS.
It would be cool if he was referenced in future games, but I hope we're done playing as him.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
It does. It's a lot harder to like a character you can't even see.

i like garrett from the thief games way more than any resident evil character because he has an actual personality. same with daud from the dishonored games.

First person perspective doesn't mean anything for character development

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I went for the last option because I wouldn't mind a game where Mia was the main protagonist and any game with her will probably have him in some capacity.

The only game Mia should have is her behind bars since literally all of 7 can be seen as her fault. Unsure why people think she was redeemed by the end of 7 or even deserved a second chance.

Also to make it fair, Helena shouldn't have gotten off as easy as she did in RE6 either.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
They should flesh out his character more at some point but only if he's supporting cast. Jake on the other hand needs a staring role.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
there were better characters in that game tbh but thats ok because like people have set his purpose was just to give us a body and they did that extremely well.

That being said this is the first time I have ever seen what the main character looks like...he looked way different in my head its honestly hard to comprehend that is who I was playing as lmao

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
His VA made him seem stoned or just apathetic towards everything lol his reactions were hilarious

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
there were better characters in that game tbh but thats ok because like people have set his purpose was just to give us a body and they did that extremely well.

That being said this is the first time I have ever seen what the main character looks like...he looked way different in my head its honestly hard to comprehend that is who I was playing as lmao
Yeah, I remember looking him up online after I beat the game. TBH, he's kind of exactly what I expected, though.

13c4e10fefb1ddc856cc9d1162be63fd--resident-evil-biohazard-biohazard-.jpg

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
He was perfectly fine for the role he played and the kind of story RE7 told. Not every RE protagonist needs to be a cartoon character.
The only game Mia should have is her behind bars since literally all of 7 can be seen as her fault. Unsure why people think she was redeemed by the end of 7 or even deserved a second chance.

Also to make it fair, Helena shouldn't have gotten off as easy as she did in RE6 either.
Nah, since she is in the custody of Blue Umbrella/BSAA she'll be an asset in pursuing The Connections.

Last edited:

ExpandedKang

Oct 30, 2017
Definitely a bland character who seems pretty blase about the insane terror of that house along with having his limbs cut off. I think you can do the everyman character a bit better than that.

The voice actor sounded positively bored most of the time lol.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
It works for the game but I don't need to see more of him or Mia in the next game. I kind of hope they stick with making the majority of characters new again for 8 though, it was refreshing have a protagonist that hadn't been there and done/seen everything before.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
His connection with Mia was kind of interesting. I definitely preferred that over a mute character who has no personal stakes. His story seems pretty done though

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
He served well as the player avatar in a game that was designed with VR in mind. So he was supposed to be a nobody and he served that purpose well - knowing his face like the image in the OP diminishes this.

He has no green beret training, no armed/hand-to-hand combat experience, no noteworthy background, which is a stark contrast to the superheroes that the series has pumped out and reached its peak in RE6. Ethan can't to flying kicks or suplexes to the undead. RE7 was seemingly not about power fantasy (although towards the end of the game it was yet another total power fantasy). Of course, for those who wanted to play as superhuman being like the previous RE games, Not a Hero and End of Zoe DLCs were there, and they were fantastic.

That said, as others have pointed out here, while he is supposed to be an everyday person... early in the game his hand is cut off, stapled back together, and is totally fine with it. This could mean only one thing - Ethan is yet another B.O.W.. Anyone who follows RE knows that the real B.O.W.s in are Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire, Wesker, Ada... should add Ethan to the list. Mr. X. and Nemesis have nothing on those monsters.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
I think of it that Ethan has had a lot of exposure to the BOW outbreaks in his life. If I recall, in 5 and 6, plus the movies, is that there has been outbreaks across the world. Dude is probably numb from all that shit he encountered.

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
I have no thoughts. He's basically a non-character and the game being first person just turns him into a self insert to me.

tbh, with all the hoopla and excitement over the remakes the less and less confident I am that we'll ever see anything 7 again.