• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
what are your thoughts on curved tvs?
I'm finally getting one do to an exchange from samsung, but resetera knowing more about games and such, I like to hear your opinion on these kinds of tvs.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
They're stupid
The curve looks stupid
They look stupid when mounted
They fuck with the picture unless you're 100% smack in the center (and even then they do a bit)

They're stupid

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
but resetera knowing more about games and such...

nsr.gif

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Curve TVs are dumb as hell considering that in a normal living room setup, you're sitting far enough back to have the entire screen well within your viewing range.

Curved monitors over 32' though are perfect.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't do it.

I kinda get the curved monitors if you're sitting close and "in" in the screen. But for bigger tvs it's a gimmick.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly for a television i dont see the point, my buddy has one and while it looks nice from afar it doesnt really do anything to enhance the viewing experience.

On the other hand i have a Samsung curved monitor that i absolutely love and the benefits of the curve on there are great, makes me feel more immersed, but im sitting close it.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
They're great for a racing rig setup. Mount it close to you and it creates a great windshield/car like feel.

That's what I bought mine for. (well..it's a curved monitor, not a TV)

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a curved (ultrawide) monitor and I like it well enough, but I'd never get a curved tv

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I have one. They're pointless.

When I was doing research on the TV I bought, I got the best advice you can get in this respect: never buy a TV because it's curved, but it doesn't matter if it is.

You will notice no difference whatsoever, in my experience. It's a novelty that achieves nothing, but causes no detriment either.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
They are dumb. I was very close to getting one, and I am glad I decided to go with the standard after watching on of my buddies. Like completely useless.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I have one. They're pointless.

When I was doing research on the TV I bought, I got the best advice you can get in this respect: never buy a TV because it's curved, but it doesn't matter if it is.

You will notice no difference whatsoever, in my experience. It's a novelty that achieves nothing, but causes no detriment either.

well, this is good to hear, because I had no choice.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Really dumb unless only one person is looking at the TV at all times and are perfectly centred.

Kinda makes sense for a computer monitor, but not really for TVs, imo.

El Goom

Oct 27, 2017
Really thought it was a broken bent TV sitting on the shelf when I first saw one, imagine my shock when they said it's supposed to be that way.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
It really doesn't make much of a difference. The aesthetic is slightly different, especially when mounted, but that's about it. I own a curved TV and regurallt go between it and my other TV dailys without really noticing the curve. Sometimes I forget it's curved. If there's a discounted cured TV with better specs than the flat equivalent, just get the curved one. Otherwise, don't.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a 65-inch Samsung 4K curved TV. No issues with it. I have a long sectional couch & the curve helps nicely with giving people on both ends a satisfying viewing angle.

I apparently missed the immersion propaganda. But did notice that I don't see them anymore. Eh. Happy with mine till video games and movies show a need for a Higher-K display.