• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 16, 2020
The Diane podcast is an excellent listen that helps contextualize some of the show. But just ride the wave. It's the best.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoy the ride, OP! Like others have said, there's a dip in quality around where you're at in S2 because of Lynch's departure from the show during that time, but the final stretch of S2 (in particular the finale) is excellent. Season 3 and FWWM are both also incredible so you're in for a treat.

TKRL.gif

OP
OP
StoryofSouls

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
Enjoy the ride, OP! Like others have said, there's a dip in quality around where you're at in S2 because of Lynch's departure from the show during that time, but the final stretch of S2 (in particular the finale) is excellent. Season 3 and FWWM are both also incredible so you're in for a treat.

TKRL.gif

i'm beginning to notice that dale cooper is somewhat of a legend huh?

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
my opinion of this show is that the more down to earth parts are better and the weirder it got the worse it got,also there were some really dumb subplots

the pilot was the best episode and from the sounds of things I should probably never watch the third season

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This show really freaked me out a few times, the couch scene being one of them. I actually had to quit the show after the episode that finally showed how she was killed in season 2. I had to walk away from my computer for a little bit like, "I feel weird. I don't like how freaked out I am." To be fair, I never watch horror and typically only watch comedies or dramas, so it's probably easier for me to get that feeling than many others.

Great show, though. Just probably not something I'd watch again or go back and completely finish.

May 19, 2020
Some folks are down on Season 2 but if you skip the dumb James' subplots Season 2 is perfectly watchable and fun. And yes, you need to watch The Return when you're done.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Twin Peaks is one of those shows that I can't describe why I enjoy it so much, but I do. It's in its own category for television, alongside Lost (don't know off the top of my head if there are others).

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't for me. It always feels like it's trying too hard to be weird to me right from the start. And then the second season and the creative decisions made to flip a middle finger at the network made it a real chore to choke down. Which sucks because I largely enjoyed Coop.

Feb 16, 2018
Great show, still need to watch the movies and the return though. Season 2 drags a bit but that finale was wild.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never skip episodes!!! Even the least interesting ep has something that is relevant to the show overall. I truly dont get the idea of skipping episodes. Watch it or dont, ya know? Happy youre pushing through and still finding the "dip" (awful trash as some seem to view it??) to still be intriguing and good, like i did too. Get hype for s3, shits gonna bonk you over the head.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Never skip episodes!!! Even the least interesting ep has something that is relevant to the show overall. I truly dont get the idea of skipping episodes. Watch it or dont, ya know? Happy youre pushing through and still finding the "dip" (awful trash as some seem to view it??) to still be intriguing and good, like i did too. Get hype for s3, shits gonna bonk you over the head.
I generally agree about not skipping. OTOH, we don't know what their time commitments are like. Someone could read a detailed recap of each episode in a few minutes, saving a lot of time. Especially if it's true Lynch himself distanced from it (as someone posted earlier).

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fans of the show keep telling me that, I need to get around to it.

S3 has a very different vibe to it compared to the original series. It's much darker and much more surreal, but it does have plenty of the quirkiness of the first two seasons mixed in too. It's basically 18 hours of Lynch being able to do whatever he wants and it's amazing.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
The middle of season 2 is by far and beyond the worst shit ever put to film, but yet, it's entirely memorable. I fucking love it. It sucks so good lmao

Also @OP, fun fact: Frank Silva as BOB was merely a set dresser (basically the set custodian) with minimal acting credits, if any. Lynch knows a good face for a scene when he sees one. Nailed it.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
whaaaaaaaaaaat why so low?

It was a perfect storm for backlash - prequel with different main characters than the show but it is in many ways a response to the show, so that was still required viewing, darker tone (expect a horror movie,) people felt burned by the less popular parts of S2 and lost faith in the storytelling, unflinching (but deeply empathetic) portrayal of abuse, trauma, and incest that was not exactly commonly explored themes at the time. It's my favourite of Lynch's body of work though, and I think his most poignant exploration of trauma in a female character among the multiple films of his that feature that. It has some of Badalamenti's best soundtrack work and an incredible central performance from Sheryl Lee, too.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for OP to see more. The Return is my favorite season of television ever and I love engaging with new viewers. I hope you'll keep us posted!