• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
spoilers up to season 2 episode 13

this show....this fucking show...

this is unlike anything i have ever watched

it's so bizarre, yet it feels so witty, what the fuck is even going on?

the characters, so many amazing characters, all interacting with one another, schemes crisscrossing from every perceivable angle.

this music...it's instantly memorable...iconic

as someone who never gets scared watching movies, playing games, etc. i was absolutely terrified when someone had a vision of mike scrambling across the room and over a couch and screaming wide eyed. it fucking scared the shit out of me truly, and i don't understand how they managed to pull that reaction out of me. wtf?

i just needed to ramble a bit about the show, i'd love to hear your thoughts as well.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
i tried watching it for the first time a month or two ago and it just didn't click with me. i was kind of surprised since i know alot of things i like, were inspired from the show. not sure what it was. only finished season 1, but it was a real drag towards the end. idk if im gonna bother with season 2 since ive heard its a bit of a mixed bag.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
just a handful of episodes away from the best scene in all of twin peaks friend

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

the characters, so many amazing characters, all interacting with one another, schemes crisscrossing from every perceivable angle.

as someone who never gets scared watching movies, playing games, etc. i was absolutely terrified when someone had a vision of mike scrambling across the room and over a couch and screaming wide eyed. it fucking scared the shit out of me truly, and i don't understand how they managed to pull that reaction out of me. wtf?

i just needed to ramble a bit about the show, i'd love to hear your thoughts as well.
You're getting near a dip in quality. Stick with it, it picks up again before the end of season 2 and never dips after that. You have to make it all the way through Fire Walk With Me, The Missing Pieces, and season three.

VeraDrew22 on twitch is about where you are. She does streams on twitch at 9pm EST talking about it. A lot of her viewers are first time watchers as well.

OP
OP
StoryofSouls

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
i tried watching it for the first time a month or two ago and it just didn't click with me. i was kind of surprised since i know alot of things i like, were inspired from the show. not sure what it was. only finished season 1, but it was a real drag towards the end. idk if im gonna bother with season 2 since ive heard its a bit of a mixed bag.

funny you say this. i tried watching it a few years back as well! once i got invested in the characters, it really blossomed into something special for me. plus their is this ever present feeling that something is really fucking off, and that is the easiest way to pull me into something.

just a handful of episodes away from the best scene in all of twin peaks friend

whoa, i can't even imagine what this is gonna be, i'm hype now!

It's an all time great show

i honestly can see why now

plagiarize i'm a patient person. the show earned my affection, i'll stick to it no matter what at this point :)

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I wonder how well it ages for a new watcher. Back then, that sort of quirky was fresh. I enjoyed it. That sort of show has been more common since then, perhaps why the latest season seemed cranked up to 11 and I bailed fast, hated it, really hated it, total pretentious garbage.

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida

The end of Season 2 is WILD, Fire Walk with Me is also a great time. I still need to watch season 3.

OP
OP
StoryofSouls

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
I wonder how well it ages for a new watcher. Back then, that sort of quirky was fresh. I enjoyed it. That sort of show has been more common since then, perhaps why the latest season seemed cranked up to 11 and I bailed fast, hated it, really hated it, total pretentious garbage.

i guess we shall see!

The end of Season 2 is WILD, Fire Walk with Me is also a great time. I still need to watch season 3.

nice nice i can't wait.

also, shoutout agent cooper, he's a good boi

Huntersknoll i'll be sure to post again once i finish it haha

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_pe6o4glWP31qz9mk5o2_500.gifv

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
funny you say this. i tried watching it a few years back as well! once i got invested in the characters, it really blossomed into something special for me. plus their is this ever present feeling that something is really fucking off, and that is the easiest way to pull me into something.

yeah idk, maybe my expectations were a bit high? no clue. i intend to go back to season 2 at some point, but wanted to give something else a shot for awhile first.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
After you finish do Fire Walk With Me and the Missing Pieces (deleted scenes with 2 real important ones) and then buckle up for season 3

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry about the James stuff. It's...not good.

Besides that, GREATEST SHOW OF ALL TIME.

Make sure to watch Fire Walk with me next. Then Season 3.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017

I would generally advise against watching episodes 10-21. Lynch was not heavily involved and openly hates that period of the show. The finale and Fire Walk With Me/Missing Pieces are the peak of the series for me personally, so I am glad I didn't quit watching in the midst of that really bad period.

As far as the scene you describe, assuming it is what I'm thinking of, Lynch likes to use a stationary camera in a first person perspective which forces the viewer to remain stuck in place while something threatening approaches. Where other directors would relieve the tension with a cut, Lynch really likes to linger uncomfortably. He will use this several times and that kind of interesting camera work is a hallmark of the Lynch directed episodes. After the long stretch of bad season 2 episodes, the finale really hammers home how much better the show is when Lynch is directing.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine approaching Season 3 having experienced all the preceding archs and stories at once. Lawd.

I literally just finished doing that about a month ago...
Thoroughly enjoyed season 1 and most of season 2. Fire Walk with Me was TOUGH to get through but nothing could prepare me for the train wreck I was about to experience called "Twin Peaks The Return".
I didn't think it was possible for Lynch to climb completely up his own butt and take everyone else with him, but he succeeded because the episode I had the most issues with (the hour long 2 lines of dialogue college art piece), is apparently the highest rated episode of the entire 3rd season.

The whole ordeal just doesn't feel like the rest of Twin Peaks to me and didn't focus on any characters I was interested in reconnecting with 30 years later (in their timeline obviously, I was experiencing the entire series in the span of a month or two).

But hey, a lot of people really liked it. And at no point did I ever want to stop watching, so it's at the very least compelling to watch even if I didn't like it once it was all done.

Season 1 and 2 though? Damn fine coffee. I mean TV.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
i'm still having fun with it luckily!

you all are hyping the f out of fire walk with me and season 3, i cannot wait.
I enjoy the wacky stuff in the second half of season 2 as well. Don't listen to anyone that tells you to skip episodes.

Fire Walk With Me is my favorite piece of Twin Peaks period. But don't go in expecting more of the show. It's a very bleak prequel about Laura Palmer.

And don't go into The Return expecting more of the show either. It's also completely different.

OP
OP
StoryofSouls

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
I would generally advise against watching episodes 10-21. Lynch was not heavily involved and openly hates that period of the show. The finale and Fire Walk With Me/Missing Pieces are the peak of the series for me personally, so I am glad I didn't quit watching in the midst of that really bad period.

As far as the scene you describe, assuming it is what I'm thinking of, Lynch likes to use a stationary camera in a first person perspective which forces the viewer to remain stuck in place while something threatening approaches. Where other directors would relieve the tension with a cut, Lynch really likes to linger uncomfortably. He will use this several times and that kind of interesting camera work is a hallmark of the Lynch directed episodes. After the long stretch of bad season 2 episodes, the finale really hammers home how much better the show is when Lynch is directing.

holy shit i think you described exactly why it fucked me up. the lingering shot...it forces you to confront the situation, plus the actor did a wonderful job to get under my skin, his facial expressions, body language, and scary eyes really drove it home.

as far as episodes 10-21 go, i can definitely see the difference, but at the same time, Leo is out of his wheel chair, and i'm here for it lmao

nachum00 thanks for the heads up

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good show, take it easy and enjoy it.

Watch the movie and maybe the missing pieces before the third season as the movie informs and lays a foundation for a lot of stuff that happens in the third season.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Go in this order: original run > fire walk with me > missing pieces > season 3

Edit: and as bad as it gets, don't skip anything (well, except James' motorcycle trip lol). Even the worst episode will include a scene that's important for the direction the show is about to progress towards.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
It's my absolute GOAT. I love the show dearly, love it's aesthetic, love being a fan and the memes. I have a giant cardboard cutout of Cooper looming over my desk. : )

Go in this order: original run > fire walk with me > missing pieces > season 3

Exactly this. Avoid cuts that add the missing pieces into Fire Walk With Me. It bogs the movie down to a crawl and actively hurts the movie, and yet the missing pieces are precious and vital. The best way to enjoy Twin Peaks imo is to expect to be challenged, welcome it's sheer audacity and don't sleep on season 3!

OP
OP
StoryofSouls

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
It's my absolute GOAT. I love the show dearly, love it's aesthetic, love being a fan and the memes. I have a giant cardboard cutout of Cooper looming over my desk. : )

thanks for all the advice everyone.

a cooper cutout over your desk is better motivation then any poster could ever hope to be ^^

edit: i'm definitely not going to skip anything, i want it all, good or bad.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
I literally just finished doing that about a month ago...
Thoroughly enjoyed season 1 and most of season 2. Fire Walk with Me was TOUGH to get through but nothing could prepare me for the train wreck I was about to experience called "Twin Peaks The Return".
I didn't think it was possible for Lynch to climb completely up his own butt and take everyone else with him, but he succeeded because the episode I had the most issues with (the hour long 2 lines of dialogue college art piece), is apparently the highest rated episode of the entire 3rd season.

The whole ordeal just doesn't feel like the rest of Twin Peaks to me and didn't focus on any characters I was interested in reconnecting with 30 years later (in their timeline obviously, I was experiencing the entire series in the span of a month or two).

But hey, a lot of people really liked it. And at no point did I ever want to stop watching, so it's at the very least compelling to watch even if I didn't like it once it was all done.

Season 1 and 2 though? Damn fine coffee. I mean TV.

Booooooooooooo

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Love this show so much, all seasons. Very influential, but there's nothing quite like it.
I think you mean Bob here, but yeah. His appearances are some of the scariest things ever filmed as far as I'm concerned.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boy I can't wait for your reaction to Season 3, starring the best character in the series! Dougie Jones!

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite shows ever, even though some of the changes from season 1 to season 2 (when Lynch left) is really jarring.

One of these days, I need to give season 3 another shot because it was a little too much for me the first time around.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
oFJ7sUe.jpg

Please forgive my dusty af desk, but this is the setup right now, got my love of X-Files and Twin Peaks both represented. : )

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
man I watched into part of season 2 a couple years ago (first time watching). have forgotten too much to just start back up, but don't think I have it in me to start over.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it either. It's well shot, has a haunting main theme, has a strong beginning with the initial mystery, and gee golly is it super quirky. That lasts about four or five episodes, and then the show just starts to ramble and ramble and ramble off its own fumes and whatever random jokes and scenarios the showrunners decide to throw in.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
lynch is an incredible talent when it comes to horror scenes that sound utterly dumb when described to someone else.
one of his movies has a scene set outside a diner
another has a man making a phone call
both of them are uttery chilling

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
yeah he seems to exist in a totally different space then other show runners

I still remember my first exposure to David Lynch outside Twin Peaks's was in a Avant Garde Film elective course I took, it was this short:

We owe a lot to Mark Frost for filling in the gaps and grounding the show as well but there is something about David Lynch and the way everything is filmed and cut, there is an electricity in the air that cannot be described, and I can feel it all throughout his material from the fine arts world like his shorts and paintings as well as his film, and Twin Peaks.

OP
OP
StoryofSouls

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
I still remember my first exposure to David Lynch outside Twin Peaks's was in a Avant Garde Film elective course I took, it was this short:

We owe a lot to Mark Frost as well but there is something about David Lynch and the way everything is filmed and cut, there is an electricity in the air that cannot be described, and can feel it all throughout his material from the fine arts world like his shorts and paintings as well as his film, and Twin Peaks.

that was...utterly fascinating. he has a way with sounds too. it puts me on edge, like my fight or flight response is being activated. amazing.