• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
So I was hit up on Grindr by a headless torso (his face was cropped out of his profile pic, something a lot of guys do on Grindr to maintain their privacy). In his initial message, he sent me these pics of this incredibly good-looking guy with both candid and super professional pictures. It's like he typed "hot guy" into Google and used whatever image came up. In my mind, I'm like, "OK dude, whose pics are you using?" I don't immediately recognize the guy in the pics. I don't immediately suggest that he's fake either, so we chat for a bit (I'm bored at work). So I'm ready for the charade to be over and I ask if he wants to meet. You don't exactly look for new friends on Grindr, lol. Part of me was hoping he was real. He already sent me some.....ahem....new pics. But either way, I was going to find out pretty soon.

He claims that he wants to meet, but doesn't respond when I say when. So I'm like, it's the catfish MO: never wants to meet because they're not the person in the pics they sent.

I reverse image search a pic he sent and found the celebrity that he's "impersonating." The pic comes up immediately on Google Images when you Google the celebrity's name (the picture he used was part of a photoshoot).

Again....the guy is insanely hot, so the catfishing immediately makes sense. He gave me a fake name as well (to obviously conceal his identity)

I do a little bit of research on the celebrity, but then I start to question whether or not he's a catfish. I go to the celebrity's IG account, and the celebrity mentioned something they did recently that the "catfish" also told me. Again, it could have been as simple as the catfish being remarkably dedicated to impersonating celebrities, but I think that that is way too much work involved for a random catfish. *shrugs*

So I'm totally faking my interest now to see how far this catfish will go or how much he will tell me about himself. I playfully ask if he's a model and he's like "how did you know?" I roll my eyes. This MFer....

I continue to be playful and tell him that he's just trying to trick me. I ask for ways for him to prove his identity, and he suggests that he DM me on Instagram and we can video chat as well. I'm confused....because that would clearly show whether he's a catfish or not. So if he backs away from this, I'm going to just call him out. So he sends me his IG. I have not only already gone to this account and know about it, but I was also going to confront him with it, lol. I play along and don't call him out on the fake name he gave me.

I send him a message....and he playfully replies. He's like, "I bet you thought I was a catfish." Uhhhh......ya think?

So.....yeah. That happened. lol

(And before anyone asks, I'm not going to reveal his identity. By all accounts, he isn't openly gay/bisexual/etc., and I'm not going to out him.)

I've always come across stories of random people encountering celebrities on dating apps and stuff. But I don't know if I always 100% believed them, even though the stories were pretty detailed and seemed genuine. But it's the Internet. People lie. But now I know it actually happens lol. Then again, celebrities have confessed to using dating apps...just never figured I'd ever run into one. Ever. Especially on Grindr of all places.

EDIT: We did eventually video chat, BTW

Last edited:

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Also it's funny if he used super pro pics from a promo shoot or something, he hella flexing lol

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many instagram followers? I don't want to be disappointed and find the "celebrity" only has like 50k or something.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Wtf grindr sounds dope as hell. Happy to hear my bois are having fun over there. Tinder is still a pain in the ass.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Did you actually meet up though?

I watch the TV Show Catfish and a lot Catfish have hacked IG accounts to reply to their victims so I would still be careful.

OP
OP
MIMIC

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
yeah what are we talkin here OP, tiktok famous? reality tv person? movie star?

Definitely not a "social media" or reality tv person. Again, I don't want to get to close to IDing him.

Also it's funny if he used super pro pics from a promo shoot or something, he hella flexing lol

Exactly. It looked soooo fake that for a brief moment I considered blocking him. You get so many messages from fake profiles that I instantly block some of them. So yeah he was clearly flexing.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
legit never knew MIMIC was into dudes after all these years on gaf/era, oldschool american idol give keeps providing surprises

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Go for it. Worst thing that can happen is that you lose some time and a kidney.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if that ever happened and you had his instagram you could just be like "If you're this person, post a picture of a tree on your Instagram story right now. You can delete it after I see it"

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this dude in movies, or tv shows, or what? I'm not trying to identify him, just curious what you're pulling here.

Also, grats on a cool story! If dude ever comes out publicly, you must tell us.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I can never wrap my head around the obsession with celebrities, but congrats on the impending sex anyway!

Also, say hi to Gonzo.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i should ask my wife if she's cool with me jumping on grinder to meetup with celebs

she'd laugh a lot and then say yes

jokes on her though, i just wanna have pancakes with Tom Cruise and talk about Edge of Tomorrow

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
wait - did you video chat too? Cause otherwise can't this still be a (slightly meta) catfish?