• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Think up an IP; maybe it had multiple entries, maybe only one, but it's been dead for a little while now. Say, most recent, absolute earliest days of the current generation but preferably lost to the passage of time by the end of last generation. Maybe it's beloved, maybe it's not, but the likelihood of it returning is basically zero. Zilch. Nada. It's dead, friend.

ONLY IT ISN'T. Surprise, fuckers; it's back, for next generation consoles. But it's not quite how you remember it.
- It nails the tone, it's got the mood you remember, and is clearly faithful to its source material
- It's gorgeous, the art is on point, and feels coherent with what you know
- It is, by all merits, a great title that has hit goals in all the areas that matter
- HOWEVER, it's not exactly the same genre as before. Maybe the camera perspective has changed, and the way the game is paced and structured. Maybe the genre has changed entirely from top to bottom. Either way, it's not a perfect recreation of the past, but it's still really good! And more importantly, it nails the transition in the best possible way it could

So, what is the IP, and what has it become?

McPoo

Jan 25, 2018
UK
I'd like to bring back the RPG Shadowrun, but as a team based shooter with magic, tech and a Counterstrike-style weapon purchase system.

Please. I'm begging here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would be totally fine with BioShock coming back as a different genre, like an immersive sim RPG. The FPS aspects of Infinite were widely criticized for their ludonarrative dissonance issues so that wouldn't be a problem at all if they changed genres.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Advance Wars, but it's a military first person shooter called Advanced Warfare

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Golden Sun 4, direct sequel to Dark Dawn, is now an action RPG where you can change characters ala Ys VIII. Great, rewarding exploration, great puzzles, djinns are still back and you change classes just like the old games, MC now talks and has a defined personality but you still make the choices for them.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Darkstalkers is back as a character action game by Itsuno.

Probably blasphemous but I'd honestly prefer this as I've always admired the series from afar but could never get into fighting games

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
For some reason the first thing I thought of was an isometric Billy Hatcher puzzle game

I have no idea why on earth I thought of that but honestly? It'd work.

McPoo

Jan 25, 2018
UK
I'd like to see Overwatch in some other format. Maybe some sorta XCOM style strategy game. Someone mocked it up as a turn based RPG a few years ago and that looked cool too.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to bring back the RPG Shadowrun, but as a team based shooter with magic, tech and a Counterstrike-style weapon purchase system.

Please. I'm begging here.
613N6mioLoL._SY445_.jpg

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The transition for Zelda to open world is precisely what you describe, but it wasn't a dead IP.

I could see something like Metal Gear return to a top down view.

TheRyzzl

Oct 5, 2018
Legacy of Kain series is back but now its an open world first person RPG. That would be my luck anyway as I dislike first person and fkin love the kain series.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Twisted Metal Battle Royale

You are a pilot similar to being a pilot in Titanfall. After amassing a certain amount of resources you can summon your vehicle that is fully customizable. The island arena gets smaller and smaller forcing you to decide if you want to risk remaining in your vehicle or finish the fight on foot.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
BioShock immersive sim made by Arkane lol

Killzone but it's a Stalker like game survivor/rpg.

Oct 26, 2017
Alien franchise as either...
A telltale style story based game.
Or an X-Com style tactical shooter focused on the Colonial Marines, possible eliminating the Alien element all together.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
WipEout but it is a tactical espionage game where the player infiltrates the various teams facilities to steal their tech secrets.

I just love that whole world's style and there really is enough lore existing to make this work.

Imp

Dec 18, 2017
Lincoln, UK
Syphon Filter but it comes back as a 2d metroidvania style game but with the stealth and puzzles worked in somehow.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
...Is this supposed to be some not so subtle hinting about the new Perfect Dark about to be revealed at the Xbox Event?

Oct 26, 2017
I remember playing this game. I got invited into the alpha/beta and regularly played it with some of the Devs.

I liked the concept and creativity. It never entirely clicked, but it was a cool attempt.
I think there were a lot of cool concepts for FPS's back in the 360 gen, but they just didn't stilck because it was either COD or Halo for most people.
WipEout but it is a tactical espionage game where the player infiltrates the various teams facilities to steal their tech secrets.

I just love that whole world's style and there really is enough lore existing to make this work.
Okay now this is a cool idea. For those who aren't aware, the backstory to the teams in Wipeout is surprisingly in depth riddled with corporate backstabbing and the like.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect Dark, but it's a Naughty Dog-esque third person cinematic action adventure game with Mission Impossible inspirations.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Playstation All Stars Battle Royale 2.
Bigger roster, more vaired characters, great artstyle.

But its rebranded "Playstation All Stars Sport" and is developed by ClapHandz, has following modes:
Hot Shots Golf
Hot Shots Tennis
Hot Shots Karting
Hot Shots Bowling

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
I prefer first person games but I'm willing to give a third person Perfect Dark a chance.