• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cyress8

Avenger
300/150 connection.

Like Kuro said, looked like a youtube stream and fps was less than 60 fps the whole time.

After playing the free copy on my PC. The input lag during streaming was too high for action games. Thought I sucked for a bit.
I was constantly getting hit and not dodging properly while streaming, but the moment I got the retail version installed, I was bobbing and weaving like a master.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
On a wired 100/20 connection it felt really good and looked really good.

On WI-FI same speed there was a lot of input lag and heavy artifacting. I tried disconnecting everything from my network and playing on a 5GHz signal, still the same issues.

I think a lot of it is gonna be how close you are to Google's servers. The closer you are the better experience your gonna have.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this thread should have a poll up to. From a rating of 1-5.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 250/15 connection and it was mostly smooth for me, entirely playable. The only real complaint I had was that the visuals were noticeably desaturated. The colors made it look like I was watching a video rather than playing a game. It wasn't too big of a deal, but definitely noticeable.

Leonadar

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't notice any input lag. The image quality was horrible and blurry though. I was hardwired with 150 Mbps down. When I first tried it I would get connection warning messages. I tried again after they announced the free PC version give away and no longer got those messages. Still had the poor image quality though.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I tried it with my PC connected via Ethernet on a 300Mbps connection. The experience was consistent.

The image quality was surprisingly good, input lag didn't seem horrible, but I was pleasently surprised how well it all felt.

I imagine the experience wasn't so great for those with slower connections.

Oct 25, 2017
For reference, my internet at the time was 50/50Mbps and I put in 10+ hours. There were several momentary instances where the image quality degraded and input became very delayed as it tried to fix itself, but this was rare. Majority of the time it ran without a hitch and felt very responsive with an XB1 controller. I was impressed by it and would've happily beat the entire game that way. If Stadia is an improvement on Project Stream, then I can definitely see myself playing certain games through it that I know my PC wouldn't run well.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
I have 175/5 and it wouldn't even let me attempt it for some reason. Probably something to do with CableOne throttling or some such.

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
I only played for about 90 minutes. I used a hardwired gigabit connection and an Xbox Elite controller hardwired to my PC. The input lag seemed fine for a game like AC. The image quality was also acceptable but not ideal. I'm used to playing games at higher than 1080p so it was a noticeable downgrade. It surpassed my low expectations but I think we are still several years away from something like this competing to replace the way we play games now.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Considering my down/up speed I'm not expecting much from this.

Deleted member 26900

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I tested it on a Lenovo laptop at work one time and on my home PC with Fiber Gigabit:

• Image quality was slightly below console quality (for me) and virtually no input lag.
• Connecting was super quick and was in the game within a minute to two minutes.

All in all, I played AC:O for 15 hours and with the occasional hiccup (stutters, poor IQ), it was a fine experience.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
150 Down 30 up - Played on a Wired connection on my pc. Latency was ok - but noticeable; seemed to vary on how responsive it was. Artifacts were a thing from time to time. Some things blurred where I really wanted details - When my connection was shared with other people, the thing went to crap for awhile and was unplayable. Overall the best thing was it didn't take long to boot up and start playing the game (psnow takes almost a minute sometimes) Wouldn't consider it head and shoulders above the streaming competition, but it was not terrible.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was super impressed by itinitially, but when Ubi gave me the free copy on Origins I realized how noticable the input delay actually was in combat against mercs. That's not to say you can't adapt to it, but input delay is still noticable if you have a baseline to compare it to.

Old ignorance is bliss rings true here.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Had 300/30 during then and was wired. It ran pretty damn well for me. There was just occasional freezes for a brief second like once every couple of hours, but otherwise was pretty solid.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have about 40 Mbps down, with 4ms ping, on a wired connection. The image quality was a significant downgrade from my old-ish PC, with frequent drops in quality, and pretty severe artifacting at times. The input lag was better than I expected, and was tolerable for a game like AC using a controller, but it would be awful for faster paced games, or anything that uses a mouse for input.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Had a 200/200 connection, and it was suffering from heavy artifacts and input lag all the time, even at it's best quality you could notice that the picture was slightly compressed....

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Just put this in the main thread:

Y'all ever hook up a retro console to an HDTV using component cables?

That image quality and lag was about what my average experience with Project Stream was like. I think we can expect the same with Stadia. It's playable, but it's not gonna replace dedicated hardware soon, if ever.

I was using a 2013 Macbook on a 60 down, 5 up wifi connection. I also encountered frequent stutters and occasional freezes.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Mostly amazing with a few hiccups. Really cool to load up (any) game on my MacBook Air, progress a little and then play on my wired desktop and have everything sync.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
I played in a few locations on a controller and mouse and keyboard.

At home, it mostly ran great, with tolerable input lag and minor artifacting while on m/kb and Ethernet. I can generally run games at high or ultra at 1080p, so streaming would be a last resort at home.

On my friend's old ass laptop on wifi, the result was generally...quite good! Detected PS4 pad immediately, there was slightly more artifacting and quality drops, but input lag was acceptable. I'd be happy to play this way if it were my only option, but I wouldn't play DMC or fighting games on it, I could see playing RE2 being fun, though.

Oct 25, 2017
I streamed the PC version of Crysis 2 over Gaikai years ago and I hated it - was literally unplayable.
Tried Project Stream on a Laptop over home wifi and on my main Desktop over a dedicated lan connection. It worked very well in terms of input lag, but there was a noticeable amount of compression.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Subpar. The image quality was blurry and you could see macrobolocking at times. Input lag was noticeable as well. The most disappointing thing to me was that the game didnt even look like it was running with all the bells and whistles, it looked like they had lowered some settings for the stream test.

Wired, 80 Mbps connection.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
They are probably banking on raising kids with lag in mind when playing games. Like how tablets and phones on screen buttons are natural to them.

Playing with a game direct from a console with zero latency might become "old-school" lol
Might be one of the few times we agree on something, but yeah, I believe Google is mostly trusting the new generation of kids to push this tech, they know us older people who are used to native hardware and local processing will have a tough time fully embracing Stadia, but the kids who are growing up with tablets, subscription models, internet, social networks and everything available at a moment's notice will definitely be more accepting of this kind of technology right off the bat, plus they won't be bothering with technicalities, latency and specs.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
They are probably banking on raising kids with lag in mind when playing games. Like how tablets and phones on screen buttons are natural to them.

Playing with a game direct from a console with zero latency might become "old-school" lol

Very well might. :p

Like the transition from arcades to home systems as the primary gaming platform before it, if the right amount of dedication and consumer interest is expressed, cloud gaming may blur the lines between local and remote hardware services until eventually the deficiencies are minimal, and, in relative to the average joe's eye, pretty much a non-factor entirely. And like with the transition from arcades to console systems, gaming via stream may successfully cast a bigger net, if stable enough to handle it.

At the least, I just hope Google is serious about this and not churning out one half of their buttocks for their promise of a full serving. *fans gas out window*

With Jade and a whole first-party studio under their belt, it seems they're going to invest the proper amount of resources for Stadia, which we'll see the fruits of in due time, I figure.

Last edited:

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
At the time, had 50u/6d, and played for a bit over an hour on my PC which is hardwired (located in Northern California). I generally thought it was fine. I had previously played some PSNow stuff a few years prior (mainly just trying a few different games, but I completed Resistance 3 without issue), and it compared favorably. Launching it was fairly painless, and when not in motion it looked great. It got a bit worse looking when moving due to compression artifacts (sort of like a bit better-than-normal 1080p Youtube stream), but was not really an issue for the majority of my time playing. The input latency didn't seem to hinder me much (if at all), and felt similar to playing Odyssey on my PS4 Pro (although visually it was a large step down due to the resolution and artifacting). Having recently played Odyssey on console, the 30fps cap didn't bother me (although if they are now shooting for 60fps for the baseline, I'm assuming it'd feel even better?).

I did occasionally run into bouts where the resolution would drop considerably, I assume due to some kind of issue on my network (I've been having an issue with BFV where my ping will skyrocket to 300-500 for 10 seconds or so every couple hours; haven't noticed it in other games though so idk). It was pretty impressive how the latency didn't change much in those instances though, so although the game looked significantly worse, it was actually still playable. I don't think I'd give up a dedicated device like my consoles or PC, but for people that are OK with playing on a smaller screen like a phone/tablet (which I just can't get into), or possibly an older laptop on the couch or something, it'd be totally fine. No idea what it'd be like in multiplayer situations though. (as a note, I have since played the native PC version, running at 1440p and 60+fps. Obviously much nicer looking, and better playing, but I still don't think the streaming version was that bad).

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I played it at my previous place of employment w/ business class internet connection. I was impressed by the novelty of streaming a game from the cloud. Input lag was not bad for me but artifacting & frequent graphical downgrading was more severe. I would also stream from my PS4 to my laptop at the time for lunch-time game sessions. The two streaming services were similar in practice. Neither made me want to make it my dominant method of play.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
It was blurry at times for me. But I didnt mind it as I was getting to play for free. Though sometimes the game didnt even start because the speed was too low (normally during the day)>

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
I only tried it over wifi. It worked decently, but there were some pretty nasty stutters, freezing, artifact. When it worked it worked pretty decently. I wouldn't pay 60 dollars to play a game like that in the current state.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I played on both of my Chromebooks, PC, and my older backup rig and was quite surprised how well it held up on all four of them. Input lag was a bit more noticeable on my Chromebooks but that's likely to being on Wi-Fi rather than a wired connection. The IQ would drop depending on the time of day but it was pretty cool seeing entire game streaming in front of my very eyes.

Obviously, a lot depends on one's internet connection but it got me interested for what they are doing here.

EDIT: Figured I should mention places I played as one poster noted. Most of my play time was at home but I also tested it out at my campus's internet were it obviously didn't run as good but was playable. I also tried a couple coffee shops and other public internet locations and surprise, surprise got mixed results there. Some looked fine and one place it didn't even let me in.

Last edited:

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hardwired 200 MB connection, was basically unplayable. Everything was in slow-motion, video artifacts, input lag, it was a mess. I spent around 10 minutes using it over a month but it was an awful experience. All the tech in the world isn't going to fix infrastructure, especially at the last mile.

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The experience was good enough that I completed the entire game on Project Stream.

Deleted member 10908

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We've come full circle, I grew up playing Turok 2 on my N64 in splitscreen at 10fps lol

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread would be a lot more useful if people mentioned at least a general ballpark of their physical location. As it is right now it's just a series of "it was great" and "it was unplayable" with no other data to correlate it to.

Internet connection speed is probably secondary compared to your physical proximity to Google's closest datacenter.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You say that, but my 5 year old and his friends would prefer playing Minecraft on Switch or PC any day over the iPad version. Kids will take what they can get and make do, but I haven't lost hope that superior control schemes are going out the window in favor of touch controls for everything.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was on a gigabit connection through google fiber, so it was basically flawless. I only played on a 1440p monitor, would have liked to see it on a native 1080p screen. It definitely seemed blurry to me, but the 60fps rarely had any drops at all.

Uhm the stream was only 30fps...

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
I had a 175/12 connection and I wasn't impressed. I didn't notice any lag, but the image quality was really lacking. The compression was really bad, looked like a sub-hd youtube video at times, mainly during the gameplay, where it counts. Cutscenes looked ok, but it was a blurry mess during gameplay. Only reason I continued playing was so I could get the free copy on pc.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Have a 300/25 connection. It played great with little input lag. I wouldn't want to play a game like CoD MP on it though. Unless everyone else was also streaming it lol.

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
300/12 wired connection, had some somewhat regular artifacting, and the input lag was definitely noticeable to me. I was impressed, but I still prefer playing games locally for as minimal input lag as possible. I do think that many people won't notice or be bothered by it though.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 950/50 connection, when I played it on my PC hardwired, it played at 1080p/60fps with barely any hiccups or latency. Felt super smooth. When I tried it on WiFi with my MacBook Pro, it wasn't a smooth experience anymore, there was some lag/hiccups every now and then.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
The game was locked at 30fps.

Moreover, for some reason, I feel OnLive's service felt a lot snappier.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I played on both 25 and 100mbps connection and it was smooth and very playable. It had brief quality dips a handful of times over dozens of hours of gameplay, but in all honesty I would totally sign up as it was so easy to just pick up and play. I used a DS4 and a PC and a laptop streaming to the TV to check it out and the ease of use was incredible. Hit a button, in game a few seconds later.

And I say this owning a gaming PC and PS4. Now that i have the free copy of Odyssey they gave out and played it, it's a barely noticeable difference in quality at 1080p on a monitor. I imagine playing on a TV would be indistinguishable.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Less than 60, compression artifacts and input latency on the 4 test machines, including a completely different provider at a different location. Fastest was 1000 down 200 up. Still noticeable compared to local

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Wow I didn't know Google offered a beta for Chrome streaming in December. All this and noone suspected that they may release a streaming device in the future?