• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Hey fellow ERA members!
The thing is that I'll make a trip to Spain (my mom lives there) and then we'll travel to Paris, Rome and London for (4, 6 and 3 days respectively)
So... any renowned places that are a must to visit?

Info, recommendations and advice are welcome!

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As a Londoner who been travelled to both Paris and Rome. I would say any top 10 places on google search result are worth a visit. Sorry can't be more specific as it's really just that. Otherwise I would just end up repeating the same list that is all over the internet.

Word of advice though, you might want to prioritise London > Paris then Rome. Due to the size of the city and amount of attractions. There are not much to see in Rome comparing to Paris or London.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
A lot of Rome is tourist hell central, the Colosseum especially feels like a theme park attraction.

That said, visiting the Vatican and St. Peter's Basilica is absolutely worth it. Take the stairs and not the elevator, too (if possible).

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Walk a lot around Rome. It's the smallest and most walkable city of the three. (As long as you don't get run over) Paris and especially London are huge and more expensive, so you will have to plan those trips a bit more. I second taking the stairs in St.Peter's Basilica.
Go to the Eiffel Tower early in the morning because the queues can be long. Take those stairs if you dare.

Dec 2, 2017
Don't skip out on St. Paul's in London. Worth the entry price. Notre Dame is more famous but St. Paul's beats it imo.

If you have a day for a side trip, Glastonbury is worth it just for the vibe, that part of the country might have been the highlight of my time there, aside from time with family on the other side of the country.

Oxford & Cambridge have to be seen to be believed as well. There's so much insanely elaborate architecture I would have thought they were unrealistically overdoing it if I saw it in a video game.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of Rome is tourist hell central, the Colosseum especially feels like a theme park attraction.

That said, visiting the Vatican and St. Peter's Basilica is absolutely worth it. Take the stairs and not the elevator, too (if possible).
Yeah the Colosseum is kinda hellish. I had more fun walking around Rome and just coming across stuff. Trevi Fountain was cool, Pantehon Square, all the random squares, and fountains, and churches, and ruins. You really just end up stumbling on to interesting things no matter where you go.

And so much good food! We found this tiny hole-in-the-wall pizza place right by the Pantheon, it was so good, and they had liters of house wine for 5 Euros. Also, always ask for house wine! If you're into wine, that is.

Vatican tours can be alright and really interesting, if you get the super early tour when there's less people around, otherwise it's also hell.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the stuff you assume to be popular is on there. Museums. Tower of London. Paris catacombs. Etc...

but let me just say take time to just eat, drink, and just walk. You'll see great stuff just spending time and the moments. i just back from London and my favorite thing was just a walk along the river with a pint and hanging out on a sunny day with friends. Sometimes just wandering out with not a rigid plan and seeing what is there is the best thing.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Best thing to do first thing in London is to get the tube to Westminster. You can see quite a lot of the sites within a short walk of each other (Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, London Eye, Trafalgar Square etc.)

for Rome I would recommend going for a meal around sunset at Castle St. Angelo in Vatican City, the view from the top there is breathtaking if the weather is good.

The last time I went to Paris was around 25 years ago when I was eleven so I can't really help there.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
In Rome? Just walk and chill. You can literally go everywhere by foot, it's an awesome walking city.

In Paris watch out in metro/trains when you get off the train. I got robbed once because couple of people made a "fake crowd" and I couldn't get out and they when I did my wallet was gone. The same thing happened to my friend a year ago so I guess it's a parisian method, lol.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
the french generally love it when you speak english to them, so do it as often as possible and don't put in any effort to learn basic phrases

My experience was that speaking english never got me a bad reaction in Paris (or Barcelona, Madrid, or Berlin). If anything, trying to start a conversation with my 2 semesters of French led to more confusion and frustration than just starting the conversation in English.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
1. If you can take a train from London to Paris or Paris to London, do so! The Chunnel is pretty cool. But make sure you're on time to the station going from Paris to London, the security is like boarding an airplane you had better be an hour early and have your passport and lodging information ready.

2. Buy your Vatican museum pass in advance and get it WITH entry to St. Peter's Basilica. The line for just the Basilica can be upwards of 4 hours. But it's the only place you can see the Pieta. If you go with a Vatican museum ticket, you skip the line.

3. Watch out for scams in touristy places. People handing out flowers or friendship bracelets or selfie sticks. When you see them coming, just politely say "no thank you". Rome is some of the worst when it comes to this nonsense. The Eiffel Tower in Paris is a close second...with people coming out of the woodwork to sell you sketchy Eiffel Tower statues and cheap champagne.

4. If you need to get from spot to spot quickly and don't want to wait for a train ride, it's not as romantic or anything, but check out some of Europe's budget airlines like RyanAir. It's way cheaper to fly place to place in Europe than the US.

5. Same as the Vatican, book your Lourve tickets far in advance, the line at the door is ridiculous. Also realize that there's an underground entrance in a mall that skips the big line up by the glass pyramid.

6. Tipping. Don't do it. Tipping isn't really a thing in Paris or Rome. They'll look at you funny. The wait staff generally isn't going to be at your beck and call, mostly just to get your drink order, your food order, and the meal and the check. No drink refills or stopping by to ask how everything is.

7. Don't skip out on the Roman Forum. It's free with your Colosseum ticket. A really large ancient city scape untouched by time. Really cool.

8. In Rome bring a water bottle. There are a number of places that supply free water from the aqueducts and it's the most refreshing water you will ever taste.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I've been to all three, but out of them spent the most time in Paris, so I'll focus on that.

For Paris, the metro makes getting around super easy and convenient. There's also a weekly pass available called Navigo Decouverte, which for some reason isn't well advertised. But it does require a slightly smaller than passport sized photo to get. This also gets you to Versailles and to the airport if that's relevant, so it's a pretty good deal (pays for itself just with a round trip to the airport). Sadly, it's only valid on a single Monday-Sunday period, so if you arrive on Saturday and depart on Tuesday, you'd need two passes which probably won't be worth it (and I don't think the only one you could even buy on Saturday would be for next week).

Read up on common scams. This is good advice anywhere, but Paris in particular was filled with people trying to get you to sign random petition sheets and the like. I was even hassled at the airport of all things. Just ignore people like that and they'll go and hassle someone else.

Also important: if you're an EU citizen and under 26, basically all cultural attractions are free to enter. Including the Louver, Versailles, d'Orsay, and so on.

I don't know if this changed recently, but when I was there everything had security checkpoints. I'd travel light so that you don't spend too much time getting through them.

Sights wise, you're not going to be able to see absolutely everything in 4 days. So I'd suggest looking things up on tripadvisor/wikivoyage, and prioritizing based on your interests.

If you're into art, Louvre is obviously great, and so is d'Orsay. I'd recommend getting the audio guide for both, since it adds a ton of info to the visit. And the one in the Louvre also comes with a map, which you'll likely need because the place is huge. Just note that the Louvre one requires a piece of ID as a deposit, so make sure to carry one with you (or if you're using the free admittance mentioned above, carry 2, as you'll need one to actually get in the museum). The Louvre also has a side entrance that is supposedly less crowded, but I went there in November and just walked in the front door. Pompidou is also pretty cool, even if you aren't super into modern art.

For churches, Saint Chapelle is incredible, but can be a bit tricky to get into because there are two lines for the building it's in. One for the actual court house, and one just for the Chapel. Don't be like me and spend time waiting in the wrong line. It's also closed between 1pm and 2.30pm every day.

I found the Eiffel Tower to be pretty disappointing honestly, but it's still something you want to go to just to say you've been there. Just don't get your hopes up too much I guess. The touristy restaurant in the middle of it is also pretty crap, although not all that expensive for lunch given its location. Champs Elysées was also pretty disappointing to walk down, and I generally love walking down main streets in most European cities.

In terms of food in general, the best food I ate in Paris was in super small local restaurants. But it was generally all good but expensive. I also don't have personal experience with them, but there's apparently a bunch of pretty cheap Michelin star restaurants in the city if that's your thing.

For Rome, I was only there a couple of days, but the Vatican Museums and St. Peter's Basilica are absolutely a must. For London, a ton of museums have free entry, and a lot of them are great.

In all three cities, "free" walking tours exist (not really free, since you absolutely should be tipping the guide). I like taking the first day in a new city to go on one, since they generally give you a pretty good overview of the city and where you might want to go next. But on the other hand, you're pretty limited time wise in Paris and London, so they might be a waste.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Since you're going to be in Italy for so long, you might think about talking a day trip to Florence. Beautiful city...or at least it was when I went there in high school like 20 years ago.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. And go early. Buy tickets in advance for the first slot and be there 30 min before opening. You avoid the crowds this way.

As it is your first time in these cities (I think) I would stick to the famous sights. They are popular for a reason. Just don't go up the Eiffel Tower. It's cool but not worth the wait. You have a great free view from the Galerie Lafayete roof too.

Dec 13, 2018
In paris now traffic is fucking nuts... residence champ de mars is a reasonable rate hotel with a kitchen so you can have a nice dinner of bread, meats, cheeses and wine you pick up around town.

Visit montmare and go out for some drinks in the Latin quarter

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Prepare to wait in lineups in Rome. Lines everywhere for tourists attractions even if you pre-book. I've traveled a decent amount and I've never seen tourist hordes like in Rome. Organization in Italy in general seems poor.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Since you're going to be in Italy for so long, you might think about talking a day trip to Florence. Beautiful city...or at least it was when I went there in high school like 20 years ago.

I really don't understand why everyone says this.
I heard nothing but amazing things about Florence, but I went in 2017 and was not taken with the city.

Perhaps it's beautiful? But I'm not sure I'll know since it's beauty was covered by tourists. Florence was PACKED. I can't remember ever feeling so claustrophobic in a crowd before.

The highlight of Florence is Michelangelo's statue of David, which lives up to the hype in my opinion (a stark contrast to say the Mona Lisa, which is tiny and hard to be impressed by since you'll never get close enough to enjoy it surrounded by a throng of people). There's other things in Florence to see like the Duomo, Michelangelo's tomb, the rest of the Uffizi gallery, Pallazzo Vecchio and Ponte Vecchio...

But is it worth giving up time to Rome when there's so much to do in Rome? I don't know.

I'd probably give up a day in Rome to go to Cinque Terre before Florence, but that's just me.
It's about the same distance from Rome as Florence and has a way different vibe from either. Complete with a church in Vernazza that is like something lifted straight out of Dark Souls.
Oneofthe5villagesVernazza-rsz-20092019080545100.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I heard nothing but amazing things about Florence, but I went in 2017 and was not taken with the city.

Perhaps it's beautiful? But I'm not sure I'll know since it's beauty was packed with tourists. Like PACKED. I can't remember ever feeling so claustrophobic in a crowd before.

The highlight of Florence is Michelangelo's statue of David, which lives up to the hype in my opinion (a stark contrast to say the Mona Lisa, which is tiny and hard to be impressed by since you'll never get close enough to enjoy it surrounded by a throng of people). There's other things in Florence to see like the Duomo, Michelangelo's tomb, the rest of the Uffizi gallery, Pallazzo Vecchio and Ponte Vecchio...

But is it worth giving up time to Rome when there's so much to do in Rome? I don't know.

Florence is like Disneyland. Kind of artificial and lots of tourist traps. At the moment, the crowds won't be too bad, though.

Speaking personally, I didn't think much of the Uffizi or the Duomo. Most of the churches have been stripped of their artwork thanks to Napoleon's religious suppression. The Pitti Palace and Palazzo Vecchio are worth seeing though. And Tuscan street food is great.

In Rome, the Palatine is essential, as is the Vatican museum and St Peters. Even if you aren't religious, the Vatican museum contains some phenomenal examples of Roman artwork. St Peters is just plain creepy with all of the dead popes. I would recommend the baths of Caracalla too. You could also go on day trips to Ostia Antica or Hadruan's villa.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Museums.
The most famous are popular for a reason, so start there.
And I don't know about London or Rome, but a lot of Paris Museums are free if you are European and under 25

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Louvre and Versailles are both amazing, go on top of the arc de triomphe too. Get a Paris museum pass. It covers everything you'd want to see and you get to cut lines.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
Only been to Paris of the three, and only for two 1 day stays, but the best thing I did was sit outside at a cafe bullshitting with my girlfriend, drinking wine and eating oysters for 3 hours while people watching.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Watch out for pickpockets. Don't put anything in your back pockets, and don't wear backpacks that you can't cover at all times.

A lot of places let you order tickets online and display them on your phone when checking in. Tickets bought this way typically have shorter lines.

The Louvre is freaking huge and can easily take way more than a day to look through. It's best to decide what you want to see first before going in.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
If you get a taxi in Paris then be prepared to nearly shit yourself out of fear.

Especially if it goes around the Arc De Triomphe roundabout.
Scariest experience of my life.

BIG-JG

Oct 27, 2017
In Paris, The Louvre, Picasso Museum, & just walking around. On my next visit there I will see Museum of Modern Art, Atelier-lumieres, & Musée Marmottan Monet for sure. As Far as Food, We loved L'As du Fallafel, it maybe the best Falafel and Schwarma in the world. Paris is just an amazing city to wonder around.

In London, Eat at Dishoom! really this is the best Indian food of all time. Sometimes the wait can be over an hour but it is so worth it. The Tate Modern, The VA Museum are a must. Poppies Fish and Chips was our favorite. Borough Market, you have to get Kappacasein Dairy Cheese melt sandwich it's unreal. If you are really feeling to splurge afternoon Tea at Fortnam and Mason is amazing and pricey, but there are other good options but they are the best. For a good middle price meal, "Cheeky" Nando's.

We found a ton of great info an advice by watching countless youtube videos about each country. It gave us a great idea of what to see, avoid, and eat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TRUE ORDER

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I've only started reading but wanted to start by saying thank you for all the replies and advices!!

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm traveling to Paris in a few months for the first time and I'm super worried about pickpockets. I generally don't keep things in my pants pockets so I'm hoping the strap-guarded laptop compartment on my Goruck Backpack will be enough to protect stuff like my passport, phone, cash, etc.

goruck-gr1-laptop.jpg

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In London go to Brick Lane Beigel Bake and get a salt beef beigel.

Also seek out a Pie and Mash shop. Get a pie and mash with liquor.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Buy a travel backpack that you can put in front of you, had one of those and never felt unsafe.

Buy a Paris pass that also includes the museum pass.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully you avoid the strike in Paris. The whole city is paralyzed because of it. It would be like visiting L.A. if the highways were closed.

I enjoy walking around Montmartre. It feels like the purest "Paris-y" experience because it's beautiful but there's no line or people trying to sell you junk. Versailles and the Louvre are great too.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
If you have 6 days in Rome, I would consider staying one night in Naples. Rome-Naples train journey takes like 1 h 15 min. The pizza is really great (and cheap) and the city has completely different vibe than Rome. Vesuvius and Pompeii are both easily accessible with public transport.

In London, I really enjoyed Shakespeare's Globe Theatre on my last visit. The tickets are very cheap and the atmosphere is unique.

Edit: Also, check all the day-specific opening and closing times in advance! I almost missed going to Vatican because I realized too late that it was only open on the first day of my three day visit. In the end, I had to resort to buying a scalper ticket to skip the queue and have enough time to visit the museums properly.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018
If you're about to go the metro is closed right now because of the strikes and sadly some of the national museum. Hopefully, you'll be here later.

also, I find Uber pretty reasonable if you avoid 4-7 weekdays

paris^

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Subbed. Traveling to London for New Years and spending a couple days in Paris too. Keep the recommendations coming!

Dec 13, 2018
^ out of this world , the team is young and definitely shooting for their second Michelin star. For what it is the price is fairly reasonable. Book ahead.

Also there's a charming little island on the seine River near notre dame that has some shops with nice prices on cheese, way less than the fromageries that are 'famous' but precut their cheese and sell it at a massive markup.

Also, in a lot of ways the museum d'orsay is better imo than the louvre. Though on the exit to the louvre sometimes they have free exhibitions going on hosting modern artists, definitely suggest checking it out.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this is what I was going to recommend as well. Florence is beautiful and small enough that you can see a lot in 1 or (ideally) 2 days.

OP
OP
TRUE ORDER

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks once again to all of you!! I'm writing down all the places and try to come with a plan before I travel to Europe.

Hopefully you avoid the strike in Paris. The whole city is paralyzed because of it. It would be like visiting L.A. if the highways were closed.

I enjoy walking around Montmartre. It feels like the purest "Paris-y" experience because it's beautiful but there's no line or people trying to sell you junk. Versailles and the Louvre are great too.
Don't know how many days will the strike go on but I'll visit Paris the first week of February.

If you have 6 days in Rome, I would consider staying one night in Naples. Rome-Naples train journey takes like 1 h 15 min. The pizza is really great (and cheap) and the city has completely different vibe than Rome. Vesuvius and Pompeii are both easily accessible with public transport.

In London, I really enjoyed Shakespeare's Globe Theatre on my last visit. The tickets are very cheap and the atmosphere is unique.

Edit: Also, check all the day-specific opening and closing times in advance! I almost missed going to Vatican because I realized too late that it was only open on the first day of my three day visit. In the end, I had to resort to buying a scalper ticket to skip the queue and have enough time to visit the museums properly.
Will talk about the options with my mom and see what can we do but it seems like a really good idea!

Oct 2, 2018
PARIS apparently is a real mess right now and unless you want to spend all your money on cabs, you'd be wise to steer clear.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

Perhaps it's beautiful? But I'm not sure I'll know since it's beauty was covered by tourists. Florence was PACKED. I can't remember ever feeling so claustrophobic in a crowd before.

I'd probably give up a day in Rome to go to Cinque Terre before Florence, but that's just me.
It's about the same distance from Rome as Florence and has a way different vibe from either. Complete with a church in Vernazza that is like something lifted straight out of Dark Souls.
Oneofthe5villagesVernazza-rsz-20092019080545100.jpg
While I loved Cinque (I also liked Florence, but Cinque was my favorite place in Italy), I don't think it's really the same distance as Florence. When we took the train to Cinque, we had to stop IN Florence to change trains. IIRC, it was like a 6 hour train ride from Rome, while Florence was only about an hour.

I would absolutely recommend going to Cinque, but only if time permits, which with only 6 days I would stay closer to Rome.

This is a good idea too. From Rome we took a day tour that covered Naples, Pompeii, and Sorrento. It was a full day but we saw a ton of stuff, it was super cool.