• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Love it but thought some of characters were two dimensional in the first season except the mom
But any show with text adventures is a winner for me

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I watched the first two seasons last year, and I've been desperately meaning to get back to it. Even just over those first two seasons it was fascinating to watch it evolve. At first it seemed to want to be 80s tech Mad Men, but it slowly started to shift away, and in the second season it exploded into its own different thing. Had I not been shifting back into one of my depressive "can't muster the energy to consume any media" phases I would have absolutely burned through the rest.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Yep it's incredible and people really don't talk about it that much. The good news is I've heard a lot more buzz about it lately... thanks to all the quarantining?

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, people who are quarantined: watch halt and catch fire. it's great television.

OP
OP
sn00zer

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Also Boswarth is the best. I fucking love the turns with his character where he surprises you by not being a piece of shit.

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
Loved this show. I really enjoyed the growth and development of all the characters throughout the seasons. Great ensemble cast

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I must be one of the only people who likes S1 a lot, lol.

It is my favorite show, though. I think it's way, way, way better written, better played, more relevant to our times and poignant than Mad Men, which is just an exercise in frustration and 60s wankery.
I like s1 as well, the whole thing with the giant, the ibm code, it's great.

Helios_Hutch

Oct 27, 2017
IMO once it hits it's stride it's tier A television, and by tier A I mean up there with shows like The Sopranos, Mad Men, Deadwood, etc.

Love it.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Ironically the show kept getting better reviews with each season. AMC must've liked how HaCF was a critical darling with a dedicated enough viewership,
Yeah, it's kind of wild how the better the show became, the lower the viewership dipped. AMC was definitely hungry for an awards contender post-Mad Men, though. Sadly this show was completely overlooked by the Emmys as well.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I only really liked the first season. It got steadily worse afterward. Being a game nerd probably made the inaccurate parts of the game dev arc more difficult to swallow. (Actually now that I think about it a lot of its tech aspects struck me as questionable and annoying.)

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
This show must've suffered from the horrible title. Didn't Breaking Bad or Mad Men lead into it?
Yeah, it was Breaking Bad. Maybe Mad Men too? To be honest if it weren't for that, I probably wouldn't have given it a chance, largely because of the title. I caught a few last-time-ons and was intrigued enough to start DVRing it. I was hooked from the first full episode I watched. My wife mocked me when she caught me watching it, but she fell in love with it as well.

I've tried suggesting it to people who I'm quite sure would like it, but once I get go the name they visually zone out. Heh, my dad started laughing.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Might be my wife and my favorite show. The characters were fantastic and the last season was about perfect.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You convinced me, OP. I'll start the show tonight since it's on Prime and I need a break from my Bosch Binge.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's one of my Top 5 best shows of all time. I'm so glad AMC gave the show a second chance after the not so good public response to season 1.
I absolutely love every minute of it and I'm still longing for a full series blu-ray box set.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Recently watched it, and yeah, it's up there. The last season is incredibly good.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I like the title. :(

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It holds up to repeat viewing well. I think the first time I watched it I was a bit taken aback at the time jumps between seasons, but the second time around without the surprise and readjustment of that I realised how great the show was.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Also Boswarth is the best. I fucking love the turns with his character where he surprises you by not being a piece of shit.
He was introduced as an obnoxious good ol' boy, but he had the human touch the rest of them lacked.
I only really liked the first season. It got steadily worse afterward. Being a game nerd probably made the inaccurate parts of the game dev arc more difficult to swallow. (Actually now that I think about it a lot of its tech aspects struck me as questionable and annoying.)
I noticed technical inaccuracies and slight anachronisms too, but they did a fairly good job at accuracy nonetheless. I've seen much more blatant flaws in most mainstream dramas. You just have to let it go and enjoy the human element, the tech is just their motivation.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Finished watching this show after reading this thread.

The show gets better with each season. Really quite fantastic and one of my favorite tv shows. First it draws you in with the story and tech, but the characters are what keeps you watching.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
It's one of those shows that retroactively makes the first season better due to the character development. It all goes down like fine wine on the rewatch having known the arcs.

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
Yeah easily one of my top 10 tv shows of all time it really is great. I think all the seasons are still on netflix (US) as well great time to binge watch it if you haven't seen it.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
It's a good time, though I still need to finish it... No reason I haven't, outside of just being bad at getting through shows.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I miss it. :(

Beautiful ride thru time.

I will never talk shit about AMC for giving this show a full run despite everything. I will even give it a pass for the dumpster fire that is The Walking Dead.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the show a lot, and it is in the upper echelons of TV shows, but unfortunately only lasted four seasons. Incidentally, my aunt happened to be the one to actually recommend this to me, and she rarely watches anything other than the talent shows on TV, random soaps and rescue shows on Hulu. Except for when I got her hooked on Game of Thrones anyway. No idea what prompted her to start watching this, but she kept asking me if I had, and initially I assumed it was going to just be another one of the standard shows she normally watched.

I think the intro is one of the best too in recent memory, with only American Gods edging it out.

Last edited:

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Thanks to everyone on Era over the years who recommended this show, and especially this thread! Me and my partner started watching last week and are already on Season 2 Episode 9. So many twists, turns, tech, and human feels. If this show keeps getting better it will be top 10 all time for me. I just hope everyone can get a happy ending in the end ^_^

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to everyone on Era over the years who recommended this show, and especially this thread! Me and my partner started watching last week and are already on Season 2 Episode 9. So many twists, turns, tech, and human feels. If this show keeps getting better it will be top 10 all time for me. I just hope everyone can get a happy ending in the end ^_^
It gets better AND BETTER! and then it...
GETS BETTER!

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if I liked it while watching but for some reason I couldn't not watch it either. Going to have to watch it again one of these days, I have a feeling it's going to click and become one of my favourite shows.

Just wish there was a blu-ray set out there. I don't like how many great shows and movies don't have physical release these days, for example Sense8 would look glorious in proper 4K.