• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
So that "Movies you used to adore but they actually suck" thread got me thinking back to the days I used to spend doing kid things with a near-constant flow of Disney and knock-off Disney movies I'd have on in the background. My family couldn't exactly afford a ton of them and hardly ever anything recent, but we had a decent collection of animated classics. Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Lion King, various Winnie the Pooh episode collections, things of that nature. And while I loved all of them, the one thing I remember more clearly than the actual movies themselves from that time is the "Coming Soon" previews at the beginning of each one.

So much of my childhood was spent with just those same movies we owned that the ones we didn't which I would see the trailers for over and over in the previews just had such a sense of mystery about them strictly because they were things I didn't have access to. Movies that, admittedly, were rarely actually coming soon and had almost universally already been out for years and just weren't in our collection. And never did. Movies like The Aristocats, The Great Mouse Detective, Quest for Camelot, Angels in the Outfield (not animated, I know, but that didn't stop it from showing up on a bunch of these animated movie VHS's), and a bunch of other movies/sequels to movies I never actually owned and only knew about through previews.

I don't know, something about them just always made me excited whenever the previews had come on, despite having seen them dozens of times.

So basically, now that it's all I can think about, did anyone else have a similar situation back in the day? Or is this just a weird aspect of my childhood that, for once, isn't secretly some sort of generational touchstone.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'll have to go with The Pagemaster just for the behind-the-scenes featurette of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie:

maddieJ

Oct 27, 2017
South Portland, ME
The teaser/prologue for Dinosaur on the Pocahontas VHS (I think) blew my mind as a kid. Too bad the rest of the actual movie wasn't nearly as good as the opening.

Dec 11, 2017
I think it was the Lion King VHS that had the Pocahontas preview, which was just Colors of the Wind in it's entirety, which was the best part of that movie.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
All I remember was that Mickey silhouette logo thing at the beginning always freaked me out as a kid.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot VHS tapes had previews before movies started, lol. DVD's had them to when they were getting started.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Not a preview, but I also used to watch this on the VHS, hoping one day I could go to Disney World.

OP
OP
TheCthultist

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I literally found a youtube channel dedicated to this sorta stuff last night lol 🍿

love when the timing on this sort of thing just happens to work out like that! Going to go fall down this rabbit hole in just a minute here...

Colors of the Wind. Lion King VHS.
Yup, this is one of the ones that constantly springs to mind anytime I think about the previews. Like... they literally just put the best portion of the entire movie in as the trailer.