• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
I'm talking about the ones where they rudely take the water pack away from you.

These levels might be the best designed bits of 3d platforming I've ever encountered.

They are also punishing and incredibly frustrating since the margin for error is so low.

Once you do manage to best one it's so satisfying. I do feel that Sunshine would have done well to keep them as optional levels though.

How do you feel about them? Love them? Hate them? Let me know why.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
They are by far the best part of Mario Sunshine and, I think, the blueprint for how Mario Galaxy's levels were done later.

Love them.

DynamicG

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of my favorite parts and I feel that they, to some degree, inspired or informed the format of Galaxy.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I don't remember them super well but i know i hated them and Mario Galaxy was basically a "they finally got it" moment

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely loved them. A great test of your abilities and a good change of pace.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
To me the only Secret Level that is a bit unfair and wonky is the Chuckster one. Sometimes even if you are a tiny bit off center they will throw you completely the wrong direction. The rest though are great platform challenges.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy most of them but I enjoy them even more when youo through them again for the red coins and you have FLUDD.

And following these we got Super Mario Galaxy which is all about platforms floating in a void. =D

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
If those courses existed in Odyssey, they would've been placed on the Dark Side of the Moon. Instead they're part of the mandatory path in Sunshine. Interesting seeing how Nintendo's design philosophy has changed over the years.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I used to be a Sunshine Poser and regurgitate the same "these levels are the only good part about the game" argument because yeah they're really good

Over the years I've come to accept that it's a small brain take because even the non-secret levels in Sunshine are really good

But yes those levels are really good

May 19, 2020
"Rudely take the water pack away from you"? lol, i know this is a jest but it has very 'let me speak to your manager' energy.

Oct 27, 2017
Hated them because Mario's controls were not reliable without the jetpack in that game. I specifically remember one stage where you had to stand in some floating rolls, and Mario would fall to his death for no good reason if you happened to stand slightly off center, but nowwhere close to the edge. I remember how many times I died because of that and still pisses me off.

Citizen Rizer

Oct 27, 2017
They're fantastic. Mario is like a Ferrari in that game. If you don't know what you're doing, you'll be flying all over the place, but once you're comfortable with the controls it's so smooth and fun.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I'll go against the grain of this thread and say, nah, didn't like 'em that much. Sunshine's non-FLUDD platforming doesn't feel precise enough to warrant the difficulty of these levels. Plus, "disconnected, boring-looking platforms in a weird Mario-themed void" is not exactly exciting theming.

Homura

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 20, 2019
They're one of the reasons why Sunshine is the 2nd best 3D Mario game.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Having them fresh in my memory now reminds me that they are the best thing ever.

ChrizzSTARR

Avenger
Jan 7, 2018
I hated them so much. When I bought the 3D Anniversary collection, I was expecting to find that it was me just being a bad player as kid.

Nope, still just as frustrating as I remembered. I never got a sense of satisfaction, just a sense of relief that they were finally over.

However, going back WITH the FLUDD to find the 8 red coins was honestly the peak of Mario platforming, even better than Galaxy in my opinion.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I used to hate them a lot when I first played the game but now I kind of like them quite a bit.. except the one in Noki Bay where you perform a tightrope jump to arrow wall and then jump to side to safety. That's such an one-time jump in an entire game. Also the rotating wooden gears can be little frustrating due to how easily you can slide off them.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I used to be a Sunshine Poser and regurgitate the same "these levels are the only good part about the game" argument because yeah they're really good

Over the years I've come to accept that it's a small brain take because even the non-secret levels in Sunshine are really good

But yes those levels are really good

This for real.

They weren't as frustrating as I remembered when replaying them on Switch. Maybe it has something to do with having more practice, dunno. I generally found Sunshine isn't as frustrating as it gets called.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I liked them too but the one in the hotel lobby made me stop replaying the game. The camera is just a bit too far and that last jump always gets me. No need for that stress. bye sunshine.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
If those courses existed in Odyssey, they would've been placed on the Dark Side of the Moon. Instead they're part of the mandatory path in Sunshine. Interesting seeing how Nintendo's design philosophy has changed over the years.
Yeah I said it in the OT about the stages too; they should have been actual secret in each level and not apart of the needed 7 shines in each stage. They should have showed you one of them in bianco hills and then left it up to you to seek them out.

This for real.

They weren't as frustrating as I remembered when replaying them on Switch. Maybe it has something to do with having more practice, dunno. I generally found Sunshine isn't as frustrating as it gets called.

They are tough but forgiving since each has at least one 1up shroom

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Well, Sunshine has more obligatory stars than 64 (you need to complete 7 shines per level in order to get to the final one). They had to stretch the game due to it having so few stages compared to its predecessor.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some of them are fun, some of them are a pain. Getting a game over in them is painful though and has made me put down the game multiple times now.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
They're hit and miss in terms of design imo - the one that's just a line of sand blocks leading to a sand pyramid is bland, chuckster one is ass, and the one(s) that's just a string of rotating logs and gears isn't very interesting. The ones that are longer and throw in more variation and escalating elements are pretty good though. Outside of the design I still don't think they're that good because they highlight the poor camera controls, funky object and player collision, and samey platforms and flat lighting on objects that hurts depth perception - especially without the FLUDD.

While I do miss the challenge those levels brought, Mario 3D World and Galaxy 2 are basically entire games packed with much better versions of these obstacle course style levels.

Last edited:

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
The timed red coin challenges on those stages where you can use FLUDD are the best missions in the game. They are literally the only platforming sections in Sunshine that require you to skillfully use Mario's full moveset (FLUDD included). It shows how great Sunshine could have been if they didn't drop the ball on level and mission design as hard as they did.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
I used to suck at them as a kid, but thank goodness they're actually a breeze as an adult. Who knew!?

Funny enough, the most difficult level of that nature is the one you have to access using Yoshi and it requires you to use FLUDD to propel downstream on a giant leaf collecting red coins and you cant touch the water or hit the sides... PULL MY HAIR OUT

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm pretty sure the best part of Sunshine is getting high, and unfortunately only like one of these levels has any real vertical ascension, so I'm gonna have to disagree with you OP. But they're pretty alright. I don't even think the chuckster one is that big a deal, like yeah it probably tanks speedruns but if you have patience it's pretty trivial.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I enjoyed messing around in the open worlds with the Fludd, just making my own fun with no real purpose. But a tightly-designed platforming level is sooo good and so satisfying. I think the Galaxies and 3D World do this better, but Sunshine got it started.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
I mean... how many of those are there? Around 9-10 - I would say only about 2-3 of them are legitimately challenging, because of being well-designed. The rest is either relatively easy and not really interesting (the first sand secret from Gelato beach for example), only difficult because of the camera (Rico Harbour) or frustrating because of its inherent bullshit mechanics (Chucksters).

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I always assumed they were levels from Super Mario 64-2 that never materialized being recycled.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
EjNwUcPU8AAGz7_

Super Mario Sunshine walked so Super Mario Galaxy could run.

I really enjoyed them (both with FLUDD and without it), really tight platforming.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're fantastic. Mario is like a Ferrari in that game. If you don't know what you're doing, you'll be flying all over the place, but once you're comfortable with the controls it's so smooth and fun.
Yeah, this right there. Mario's movements were so fluid and fast, that's one of the things I was disappointed with in regards to Galaxy, although maybe it's needed for the type of game it tries to be.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a big fan of them

For any level that involves Mario riding on a spinning or rotating cube, the challenge is almost trivialized when you just walk across the surface of the object instead of worrying about timing your jumps

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
everything that rotates is not fun to platform on, they are literally easier to just walk on than to actually jump, and like half of the challenges are various rotating things lol

Sir Sonic

Jan 14, 2020
they're so fun and also very stressful.
I think not having any sort of mid-jump to change your trajectory or the ability to long jump, make them a kind of unique levels that no other 3D Mario games have.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I dislike Sunshine, but these special levels were easily the best parts of the game since they actually had challenge and were fun. If you died, you didn't have to reclimb an entire level just to get back to where you were unlike the bigger open world levels. Great stuff, clearly inspirations for the great levels that would be in Galaxy games.