• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, the title says it all. Also please try to explain your position because it would be a shame to turn this thread into mindless shitposting

For me it has to be that Nintendo made stellar games during the Wii U era. They made a few standout titles that really hit it out of the park, (Splatoon) but man, it was never more dull to be a Nintendo fan. So much of the first party output was a safe retread of the Wii output, except way worse. There was no ambition, no creativity and everything felt limp and lifeless. Some of these games were even unfinished and completely awful. (Star Fox Zero, Mario Party 10, Mario Tennis, Color Splash)

Another one would be that 2008 was a good year for gaming. 2008 for me was the year of overly hyped sequel that ended up disappointing. (MGS4,GTA4,DMC4,Brawl,Burnout Paradise,BK Nuts and Bolts...etc) Anyway compared to 2007 this year was kind of a joke. That was the year that cemented the "This generation won't be as good as the last one" mindset for me.

I also feel that Console life spans should be longer and not shorter. Really development cycles for games have gotten so insanely long for many devs many of them don't even put out more than two games at most during the entire generation. That's crazy and yet despite this you have many people on this forum demanding a generational leap after only five years. LOL. There is no way that a shorter generation could be a good thing in this climate. It's cool to get new hardware but it's just not worth it, if the jump is going to be less and less and less noticeable and the games start being cut off from the generation that they were designed for.

That's it for now.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Oxenfree was good.

The game was boring at best and frustrating at worst when you keep getting zipped backwards. Walking and talking at the same time isn't a large enough bullet point to make a game fun.

Speaking of which, fun as a descriptor works. Even if a game evokes existential dread, if I'm still playing it I'm having fun.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
God Hand is good lmfao

Mikami really made that slop shit hole of a game and there are people who are offended by it's justified negative reception on his behalf

Then he made The Evil Within lmfaaaoooooo please retire

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
"Resident Evil 4 is the best game in the series"
"Vanquish is good"

Damn all of those opinions are all surrounding Mikami developed titles lmfao

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
that graphics/presentation values don't matter at all

they certainly do for me, I'm not playing any game with Pong-level graphics even if somehow the gameplay or writing is considered good

Nov 23, 2017
Bruh, xenoblade x and 3d world were great though

Mine is the belief that anthem isn't a good game. It is. Yes, It has a real lack of content and bugs, but that is different than game design.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Honestly, the whole 'games have never surpassed 8bit/ 16 but gaming' or the even worse statement that it was a more diverse time for games.

You mean when everygame was virtually a plat-former or JRPG with similar art styles, tropes, and musical melodys ?

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Tales of Vesperia is almost as bad as Tales of Zestria, both having issues of horrible stories and characters that make me care absolutely none about what is happening in the game. The only benefit Vesperia has is its closer to the original style of gameplay, albeit a flawed version.

OP
OP

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the whole 'games have never surpassed 8bit/ 16 but gaming' or the even worse statement that it was a more diverse time for games.

You mean when everygame was virtually a plat-former or JRPG with similar art styles, tropes, and musical melodys ?

Yeah, i love the SNES and the Megadrive/Genesis but i don't think it's wrong to say that games on the whole have gotten better as technology improved.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I can't speak to Color Splash but nobody is really citing SFZ (although it has its fans), MP10 or Mario Tennis when people refer to why they think Wii U had a solid library. Those titles were basically to put something out while Nintendo was clearly focusing on Switch.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I agree with you, OP. Yeah, Splatoon was pretty cool but most Nintendo games of that era had a bland-ness factor to them and were really dull.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Breath of the Wild is the:

- Best Zelda game ever made
- Best 3D Zelda game
- A course correction after Skyward Sword
- Is better than Twilight Princess
- Did the same things right that ALBW did right for the franchise.
- Ocarina was the first "mistake" and BotW fixed it.

It's Nintendo adapting Ubisoft, admittedly in a Nintendo fashion. Climbing on everything is a novelty that often proved to take away any special locations that should've been unique to get to, the shrines being quantity > quality and having to climb a dozen towers to unlock the overview of the map is not innovative, it's derivative of a lot of the same trends that went wrong in AAA in general in the last decade.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
"Breath of the Wild is amazing"

As someone who despises the open world genre, I always feel my eye twitch when I see this. I won't say it's a BAD game, before anyone tries to misrepresent me, but in my eyes it's another run of the mill open world that happens to have awful weapon mechanics.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Pokémon has been doing the same thing for years while hardly changing anything. The jump from 2D to 3D did not do the games any favors either.

Also: longer games > shorter games

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Don'tsayPersona5Don'tsayPersona5Don'tsayPersona5Don'tsayPersona5Don'tsayPersona5Don'tsayPersona5Don'tsayPersona5

Persona 5 was not good.

Damn it!

Also I second those who are saying Breath of the Wild. Least fun 3D Zelda game ever.

OP
OP

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

- Best 3D Zelda game

I kind of agree with all of those.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Nier: Automata was a good sequel.

It made the world feel smaller, along with having a bunch of predictable story elements where it felt like Yoko Taro was creating a game as his built up persona rather than as himself, especially when you look at his track record of past sequels. The ending was also short nothing, and if you played Nier, rehashed an element that made the original special.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
That the Uncharted series has good gameplay.

People are blinded by the presentation, the gunplay is perfunctory and the traversal is a tedious bore.

The grappling hook they added in 4 is so automated that it sucks all of the fun out of landing on an enemy.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

- Best 3D Zelda game

It's Nintendo adapting Ubisoft, admittedly in a Nintendo fashion. Climbing on everything is a novelty that often proved to take away any special locations that should've been unique to get to, the shrines being quantity > quality and having to climb a dozen towers to unlock the overview of the map is not innovative, it's derivative of a lot of the same trends that went wrong in AAA in general in the last decade.

mm.. playing ffxv i really appreciated zeldas climbing.

People are blinded by the presentation, the gunplay is perfunctory and the traversal is a tedious bore.

The grappling hook they added in 4 is so automated that it sucks all of the fun out of landing on an enemy.

thank you. except 2 i was bored with all of them
Don'tsayPersona5Don'tsayPersona5Don'tsayPersona5Don'tsayPersona5Don'tsayPersona5Don'tsayPersona5Don'tsayPersona5

Persona 5 was not good.

Damn it!

Also I second those who are saying Breath of the Wild. Least fun 3D Zelda game ever.
persona 5 is so stylish and has all the right ingredients but manages to fuck it up. i dont really know why. maybe its the pacing. maybe its the poorly designed dungeons.

its such a bore compared to 4

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's this weird belief that people on Era have more distinguished taste in games when the truth is that it's only me. It's really weird how everyone acts about this so please stop.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn is good

This game plays like a bad Ubisoft game. Platinumed it and don't remember anything good about it.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Nintendo is genius: they keep remaking the same games (full price!) while adding strange new mechanics which ostensibly make them more tedious (sup, durability) yet creativity is the name of their game. Give me a fucking break.

Also pls don't ban me.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017

- Best 3D Zelda game

This plus the idea other game developers should be "learning" from BOTW

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
This plus the idea other game developers should be "learning" from BOTW
Wellllll.

When it comes to other open world games that are still heavy on gameplay-focus, like Assassins Creed or what have you, there is a lot they could learn from how the game puts the player's own pursuit first in what the objectives are, rather than the UI throwing all kinds of blips and numbers in your face. I'll give it that BotW is a very "natural" open world experience, made recently and being a AAA product, however my reservations are that it's supposed to be the latest Zelda game, and most of the core Zelda traits are buried underneath the chase of industry trends to be adapted to Zelda's formula somehow.

That being said, you will trigger me big time if you say "I hope Witcher 4 learns from Breath of the Wild", ah yes, and I hope you will then also appreciate branching dialogue choices and long conversation segments in BotW2 ;)

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Open World being some bad trend

I couldn't be happier that games like Breath of the Wild are the main direction in today's market.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
(insert 1st party Nintendo game) is the GOAT.

Idk why. I've just never been able to get into Nintendo games, even as a kid. I know they're actually good

OP
OP

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

When i saw the grappling hook for the first time in a gameplay vid, i kind of got excited because it seemed like it was going to allow for more interesting gameplay scenarios. Instead it was about as automated as the climbing was. Such a disappointing mechanic.

Oct 25, 2017
"Goku shouldn't be in Smash." - You already know my stance on why that's wrong.
"The Switch is a 3DS successor." - It isn't. We're just losing that style of game for good now. Thanks.

Considering every Zelda game after oot was nothing more than a glorified expansion pack, I agree as well.
I don't agree, but wouldn't glorified remake make more sense in that sentence?

So, the title says it all. Also please try to explain your position because it would be a shame to turn this thread into mindless shitposting

For me it has to be that Nintendo made stellar games during the Wii U era. They made a few standout titles that really hit it out of the park, (Splatoon) but man, it was never more dull to be a Nintendo fan. So much of the first party output was a safe retread of the Wii output, except way worse. There was no ambition, no creativity and everything felt limp and lifeless. Some of these games were even unfinished and completely awful. (Star Fox Zero, Mario Party 10, Mario Tennis, Color Splash)
Considering how plurals work, you agree with what you can't agree with.

I also feel that Console life spans should be longer and not shorter. Really development cycles for games have gotten so insanely long for many devs many of them don't even put out more than two games at most during the entire generation. That's crazy and yet despite this you have many people on this forum demanding a generational leap after only five years. LOL. There is no way that a shorter generation could be a good thing in this climate. It's cool to get new hardware but it's just not worth it, if the jump is going to be less and less and less noticeable and the games start being cut off from the generation that they were designed for.

That's it for now.
Holy shit, you actually said something I agree with.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
"Well, Whatever, it doesn't matter because I don't play old games anyway."

It's absolutely farcical, you're allowed to feel that way, but people should legitimately be embarrassed saying it out loud.
It's like picking up a beet at the grocery store, then saying, "beets, huh? I don't like beets, not gonna buy this one, that's for sure!" Loud enough that people can hear.

And unfortunately, a lot of people DO feel this way, chasing the newest games while letting their previous purchases collect dust, or even selling them for pennies back! And don't forget not caring about any older games they might be interested in, they might as well not exist except for "Mario" and "Final Fantasy 7."

I get it, people want to be part of a community, feel like they're experiencing the best, newest thing, all sorts of stuff. And that's Fine! People can, and people will feel this way. Old flames can die, and people change, It's natural.

But it's just so frustrating in practice, like finding out your friend sold a gift you both enjoyed a year ago to buy the newest madden, or hurting online discussion with banal cries for attention.

It's fine to feel like this, and your way to enjoy games is valid, but I hope for more people to be more respectful about others enjoying older games they themselves don't or no longer care for.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Trying to resits the urge and not interpret this as yet another variation of an 'overrated games' thread.

I disagree that new consoles should be 400 dollars/euros max. I think they should steadily become more expensive with every generation, like with smartphones. Obviously with new innovations and improvements to add to that. I wouldn't mind a ~500 console right now as long as the added costs are justified.

Freelance7

Dec 20, 2018
"Inside was a masterpiece"

I'll admit it was a well polished game that was good, but for me, the ending just ruined it for me, personally. It's a 7/10, to be honest.

Jul 20, 2018
I'm not sure if some of these posts are stating opinions they don't agree with or their own opinions.

"Dark Souls II did NG+ right."

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
When i saw the grappling hook for the first time in a gameplay vid, i kind of got excited because it seemed like it was going to allow for more interesting gameplay scenarios. Instead it was about as automated as the climbing was. Such a disappointing mechanic.

Yeah, you can watch a gif of combat or a trailer and it looks incredible. But once you get your hands on it you realise that you're a marionette, and the developer will constantly pull on your strings to extend your jumps and draw you towards an enemy midair.

I played the game on hard hoping it would feel a little more deliberate and all it made me realise is that the encounter design is also shit.

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think ive seen the same type of thread on here a bunch of times over just slightly changed on wording making it seem as if its different when from what I can see from the arguments made, its not.