• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
There are 7 more excruciating days of waiting left before AC:NH comes out, but 7 days is a long time when global cases of COVID-19 are increasing exponentially.

This time next week your local game store might not even be open. Because of this likelihood, I'm personally considering preordering through a big box store or supermarket chain just in case.

What about you? Are people considering switching to digital?

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was close to ordering physical but im a masochist and couldn't resist preload

now it stares at me

taunting me

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Pray the postal service doesn't close.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Wanted physical but it seems digital will be the only option since we are one step away from curfew

nadbmal

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I ordered it so it gets thrown in my mailbox. If I don't have it on release day, and really wanna play it, I'll get it digitally and return the physical once I get it.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'll just walk into Best Buy and pick up my copy. It'll take five seconds.

I'm stuck working retail this weekend, so picking up a game is nothing. Funnily enough, I took next weekend off to catch up on schoolwork and play Doom and Animal Crossing, so good timing there.

allongo

Jun 29, 2018
Animal Crossing is one of the absolute best games for having digital. You will have it with you always, and can jump in for a short bit without switching cartridges.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Digital, as always. COVID-19 will probably start impacting smaller businesses next week so I expect to see closures in major cities for many of those brick and mortar electronics retailers. Why take the risk?

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
There is a huge part of me that wishes it would ship early. But I'm more concerned for people's health so if I have to wait it's fine by me.

Nov 17, 2017
Walk in and buy it. I'm going to have to go to work that day so going to a store for a few minutes to buy a game doesn't seem like a big deal.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

yes im here to pick up my copy of animal crossing.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Not to derail the thread, bu I've always felt that a physical version of AC wasn't ideal, because it's the kind of games you check a little bit every day, and you keep playing other games in between. So switching the game card every time sounds like a pain, and I feel like it would make me drop the game much quicker. Yes, I'm that lazy.

TechMetalRules

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 11, 2019
United States
I always go digital on Switch games I know are a sure thing, which Animal Crossing definitely is! Otherwise, I'd probably just drive over to the Gamestop near my house and pick up a copy like I do with every other physical game.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a physical die hard, but there's no way I'd buy AC as anything but digital to be on my console at all times.

FreeangelGP05

Oct 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'm planning on walking into my GameStop and picking up the two copies I have pre-ordered. If they are closed because of COVID-19, then they are closed. I may switch to digital then or just wait.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still not sure on getting AC but if I wanted physical I'd just go pick it up. I gotta go shopping at some point and my job sure doesn't seem to be closing anytime soon so if I wanted it I'd just pick it up.

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018
I have it preordered from Best Buy for in store pick up... but I think I'm going to see if I can change it to delivery.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Torn between ordering it online or getting a code.

The code will work out a little cheaper but I never played AC before so its a bit of a risk + I like having most Nintendo stuff physical as they retain sell on value for years. The other negative as I don't have an SD card means I gotta delete basically most of my games off my Switch to get it to fit on there.

It didn't even cross my mind that the delivery service could go tits up with the virus. I think I'll have to get a code and hope I enjoy it.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Switched my order to digital, I'll be able to play it 10-15 hours sooner than getting it physical anyway. It's costing me about ÂŁ5 more digital over physical but not a huge deal.

Philia

Oct 25, 2017
Some physical copies are out there in the wild, so I'm hoping to get lucky with my ghetto Walmart lol.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Not to derail the thread, bu I've always felt that a physical version of AC wasn't ideal, because it's the kind of games you check a little bit every day, and you keep playing other games in between. So switching the game card every time sounds like a pain, and I feel like it would make me drop the game much quicker. Yes, I'm that lazy.
Sure, but I'm just not sure if I'll like it or not, and then it's nice to be able to resell it.

And supposedly if I do like it enough to wanna play for months and years, I can buy it digitally and just continue on the same save.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
My copy is being shipped to me.

My bigger worry is for my wife, who has to wait an excruciating additional two weeks for the Coral Switch Lite to be released before she can download and play her copy.

Edit: Any know digital code deals, btw, or is it just MSRP? If anything I guess I can buy it from Best Buy to get 6% back in rewards.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of my last Best Buy GCU pre-orders. Expecting it in the mail this time next Friday.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
I made the choice to switch to digital last night.

This is a game I want to be day one on so I didn't want to take any chances.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Nah, it's a bad situation currently but stores won't be closed at the end of next week, at least not in Germany. So I will get my version either 2 days before release from our small gaming store, or one day before from Saturn, the big electronic store.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Ordered mine online from Amazon, don't know how the situation is going to be in a week, just hoping they delivers mine on time. Shouldn't Amazon guarantees the punctuality, I think I'm gonna go DD cause I can't wait and that would be the first time that I buy a game in digital at D1 that has also a physical version.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is one of the biggest games of the year and will be available at every store that has a videogame section. Go to Walmart and buy it if you want it. This isn't a zombie apocalypse situation. Ignore the fearmongering, keep informed from reliable sources, practice healthy habits to protect yourself and others, but panicking is detrimental.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the biggest games of the year and will be available at every store that has a videogame section. Go to Walmart and buy it if you want it. This isn't a zombie apocalypse situation. Ignore the fearmongering, keep informed from reliable sources, practice healthy habits to protect yourself and others, but panicking is detrimental.
This. Maybe it's worse where OP is but where I'm at everything is still spinning besides a hand sanatizer shortage.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Preordered from Best Buy coming in the mail to me (hopefully by the time i get home from work) plus the Nook sticker thing.

SRV

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Only decided today that I was getting it, so I'll pop in to my local store on launch and grab it.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
The game store in my city has a crazy deal where you can trade in certain Switch games and get AC for 20 euros, so I selfishly really hope it's open???

We're not allowed to have gatherings of more than 100 people though, so perhaps they'll just limit how many people can come into the mall instead of closing it completely.

OP
OP
Cyanity

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Another potential issue down the line that still has me wanting to buy physical is Nintendo's history of making it difficult to transfer games between consoles or console generations. Fingers crossed, but I'm hoping to be able to play this on the Switch 2 if that ever happens.

This. Maybe it's worse where OP is but where I'm at everything is still spinning besides a hand sanatizer shortage.
Boston is one of the emerging hotspots for the virus, so things have been shut down pretty hard around here

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i'm getting my copied delivered from amazon.

if it doesn't arrive by monday (because i plan on playing Doom over the weekend anyway) then i'll cancel it and just buy the digital version.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Stores definitely have to have copies by now or in the next day or so so there shouldn't be any worry unless your government is specifically telling people not to go anywhere at all.

I still haven't decided if I'm even getting it, part of me wants too but I played new leaf for almost 400 hours and I don't know if there's really been enough changes through qol and additions for it to feel like a new experience. If(maybe more like when) i do get it it has to be digital, this is a must have digital game that you wont want to be dealing with cart swapping.