• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 31, 2017
Pops used to go to Gibraltor Trade Center/flea market every month. I ate real good off the demos.

Some of these electronic soundtracks are burned into my memory just as much as the classic console franchises as far as what video games sound like.
The harshness adds something absent from even NES games.

Just something so dark and moody about even the colorful platformers.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Major deja vu moment on that Galactix intro. I remember playing that game on some CD stuffed full of random shareware in the 90's and that poorly made TV news segment stuck with me for some reason.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Really depended on the audio hardware your computer had in those days. My parents old 386 had nothing but a PC audio speaker, and would let out some nasty "bleeps and bloops". The first PC I had with a MIDI audio out was the Creative Sound Blaster Live PCI /128. Which had a pretty good MIDI sound to it, I don't know if it was one of the best MIDI output cards though, but it did come out near the end of DOS/ MIDI era in 1997 and was a good cheap solution for the time.

The thing about MIDI is, different PC hardware had their own distinct sound, which made tracks sound different on different hardware.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
the best track in Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is the one that plays during the "Buy the full version!" spiel in the shareware demo:

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Configuring your sound blaster and making it work with Dos games was a process in itself, i love my childhood.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
There's a game I can't remember the name of, where you're on a type of skateboard, the view is top down, you're traveling on train tracks or something, you can jump from track to track. It's either set in the future or a wasteland. I still remember the music to this day.

I'm on my phone right now but will try and Google it later. Think I played it on Atari ST in the 90s.