• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When are you going EV?

• My next purchase cycle!

Votes: 401 23.2%
  • Probably the purchase cycle after my next vehicle.

Votes: 116 6.7%
  • Probably not before 2027.

Votes: 156 9.0%
  • They'll have to pry my V8 Supercharged/Turbo engine from my cold dead hands.

Votes: 92 5.3%
  • Going V12. Fuck global warming. I have air conditioning.

Votes: 34 2.0%
  • When these prices come down. SHEEESH.

Votes: 724 41.9%
  • When they get enough range per charge that I don't have to worry about it. 🙃

Votes: 205 11.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we'll see mass adoption of electric cars until they can compete evenly with gas powered cars in everything. The masses don't care about the environment if it causes them any kind of trouble or inconvenience.

I mean, an electric vehicle doesn't need to idle since it doesn't have an engine. But I know Ford is working on an electric F150. Not sure when it will actually arrive.

It's not even that simple.

I'd actually like to see a definitive study on environmental impact of an EV vs a 40mpg gasser. Does it take into account people replacing batteries 10yrs in?

Do we have one?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dreams-Visions
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the environmental impacts of getting a new car are always worse than sticking with your current car, so until my 25 year old Volvo dies.

Given how hardy it is and its current mileage... 25 more years.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
When I can afford one and when I live somewhere where charging them is practical. My apartment parking lot is not a good fit for a charging station and EV stations are rare in my county outside of the big mall.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
My car is 10 years old and I'll drive it until it does. It my next car will be at minimum a hybrid.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I believe the environmental impacts of getting a new car are always worse than sticking with your current car, so until my 25 year old Volvo dies.

Given how hardy it is and its current mileage... 25 more years.

Judging by how old, I'd bet its an 850. They last forever if you keep up with maintenance. My friends 850 has like 410k miles on it. My S70, which is just a facelifted 850 is currently at 273k miles.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be a while for me, since I Iive off a disability check and in an apartment.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
Probably my next car. That said, my next car probably won't be for almost another decade...

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
When I can charge it from where I live. Not possible at my townhome.
Exactly. Good luck charging your electric vehicle if you live in a flat/apartment or other property that doesn't have a drive or garage. Could wait for universal kerbside charging in all major cities but we'll all have jetpacks by then.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
didn't answer the poll because I hope to keep my current vehicle but move it to a weekend warrior while a EV/alternative fuel car is my daily driver. I almost bought an EV a few months ago but decided to get a dying breed instead (2 door, 6 speed, sports car)

Last edited:

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
I won't consider a BEV until a few years after the Japanese majors enter the market. Maybe a PHEV if Toyota/Lexus sticks the RAV4 Prime powertrain into a sedan. 42 miles of EV range would easily handle my daily commute and grocery runs.

Next car is likely going to be ICE, and its days are definitely numbered. Maybe go for a last hurrah with an Alfa Romeo Giula or something else fun.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Not anytime soon.

What I need right now is a beater truck that can last forever like a Tacoma or something. I don't really have a use case for an EV commuter car. I don't commute to work and I have a C8 for the weekends.

Maybe in like 10 years when I can buy a used Cybertruck?

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I'll be buying a car in the next few months, but it probably won't be an EV. Domestic cars, including Tesla, are a nonstarter. Everything else is a crossover and I don't want one of those. I'll probably end up getting a three year lease on an ICE car and reevaluating my options when that's up.

DarkCronos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perugia, Italy
My next car (i plan to purchase it in the next 2 - 3 years) will be an hybrid. I don't plan to buy an EV until i get the same range per charge and charging times as a standard vehicle and i believe it's not gonna happen in the next 10 years

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully in the next 5 years. Really the only thing that will stop me is the number of charging stations around me (depending on if I don't have the accessibility to charge at home). Hopefully by then there will be enough used models on the market that I can just scoop up a 2ish year old model.

Jan 29, 2018
I would love my next car to be electric but I'm not sure I can justify the cost. If they can get sub $25k it'd be hard to resist.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
When we replace our CRV I'll consider it but that thing probably has another 10 years left in it. We're getting a minivan here soon and looked at Pacifica just not a fan

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Going to run my current car into the ground, and even then a may buy one last used ICE vehicle. The carbon costs of making a new electric car are pretty huge. People replacing their 2 year old ICEs with Teslas are not having as much of a positive impact as they think.

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
My two year old car gets over 40 MPG on my commute and still has 170 HP. I plan on keeping it for at least ten more years. By that time battery cars should be common and relatively inexpensive.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
It's not even that simple.

I'd actually like to see a definitive study on environmental impact of an EV vs a 40mpg gasser. Does it take into account people replacing batteries 10yrs in?

Do we have one?
youtu.be

EV or Gas, What Pollutes More?

A lot of misinformation out there about pollution generated by Electric Vehicles, I spent over a year researching this and was shocked to find out what actua...

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Unless something drastically changes with the way the majority of the US functions I don't see an end to gas powered cars by 2030. Cost, the prevalence of used cars as the primary way many people are able to afford a car in the first place, lack of standardized public transportation, little fucks given about boosting infrastructure by many with the power to change anything are all factors in why I just do not see it happening in the US.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Cheapest ones in Canadian dollars are still like $40,000 and my vehicle budget is like $20-25,000. It also doesn't help that the shitbag conservative government in Ontario cut the EV rebate incentive. When they get around $30,000 and I can stack some federal and provincial rebates it would be a hard thing to turn down. I am actually gonna get a new vehicle this summer, so hopefully we reach those goals by the time I need my next one after that. In fact, if my next car after the one this summer isn't an EV, it will probably be a colossal failure on the industry and government. I'm ready.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably be driving my current car (2018 Honda Civic) for at least 5 more years. Maybe after that I'll look into an EV.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna drive my 2014 Sonata til the wheels fall off and then look at EV. With my usage looking to dwindle even post-COVID I'm not looking to buy until 2025 at the absolute soonest.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably the next time I buy a car, but I'd be surprised if that's by 2027. Like, I got mine in 2008 and it's sitting at 60k miles. If completely autonomous vehicles become a thing and I can afford one I might buy a new car before this one falls apart, but barring that I expect to drive it into the dirt, very, very slowly.

Damn, do you not drive to work? 60k miles over 13 years is pretty wild.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If when my current car dies I can afford an electric car/hybrid I'll definitely go for it. I imagine I have some time before I get there, though.

Gabriel

Oct 25, 2017
If I buy a new car in the next year or two, it will definitely be a gas powered one. We just aren't there yet for electric charging infrastructure. 3-4 years down the road? Maybe!

Currently I am enjoying the bliss of having a fully paid off car that still only has 44k miles on it so I don't see myself replacing it anytime soon. I am not missing the car payment.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got an incredible deal on a 2010 Prius a couple years ago and I'll never go back. I don't know if I can go full electric until I own a home, but I love my Prius.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
When the prices are the same as gas powered counterparts, when the charging infrastructure is fully set up in my region to an extent that I don't have to worry about range. regardless of where I go (rural, urban, or trans-country highway)

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
450 mile range in a large SUV (Range Rover) or Estate / Wagon style body. That, or +250 mile range in a 10-15 minute stop.

Not convinced the latter would be that helpful to me though, given I live in the ass end of no-where (the entire country only has three fast chargers). Also, installing a decent charger at my current house would be upwards of ten thousand dollars worth of work... so fuck that.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
Sorry random youtuber doesn't do it for me. Also no comparison to 40mpg gasser

Even if it were true that EVs pollute more because their power is derived from fossil fuels, you still want to switch to EVs. Eventually the goal is to have all power come from renewables. And you don't want to wait until then to begin having everyone switch to EVs.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
When I own a house, and can guarantee I'll have a home charging point for several years

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Live in the uk, my next car by 2024 will be a hybrid, that's for sure. The mpg on one of those things, especially a Toyota Yaris or Prius is fucking marvellous. My current Toyota is in good to great condition, very good mpg and has features like stop start tech so already doing what I can for the environment until the switch. Hoping Toyota releases a full ev by 2030. They already dominate the hybrid cars where I live and the areas around me.

Will jump into full EV by 2030, when even the tories in the uk over the next few years realise they have to push for green tech up and down the uk. So far for standard electric chargers the network is improving fairly quickly, over the last 3 years my commute to my sisters house few time a year has seen a marked improvement in the amount of electric chargers at rest stops and petrol stops.

The price IS dropping of full Evs in the uk, a quick glance at car wow shows a bunch of full EV cars as low as £16k, albeit small low range ones and basic trims, still I remember when they were above 25k a few years ago.

Anyone in this thread who's is in the uk would need to switch to at least a hybrid by 2030, both the populace and parts of the government will push hard in the years to come, diesel cars especially have dropped in sales sharply and will get fucked once Sunak realises he has to raise fuel duties SOMEWHERE in the scheme of things.

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017
Currently have a Kia Optima Hybrid. Next car will not be a hybrid. Ev. Whatever. I did have a Nissan Leaf before that one also.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
5 years from now current hybrid F150 might be reasonably priced in the used market. I'm hoping moving down to midsize makes more sense for me financially. If it can pull 5000lbs without stress and is less than 14L/100km (better than 17mpg) combined then it's a no-brainer for me. My current half ton has 200,000 miles on it so odds are high I'll need a replacement in the next 3 years. I just really don't want to buy a V8 ever again.

Hah. Me too.

2003 v8 Tundra 202k miles

I dont need V8 but 4WD has saved me ans family alot in snow and mud.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't afford to buy a shitty used gas car right now let alone invest in newer, cleaner technology.

It's definitely on my agenda though, just hard to fathom when it might become something I can personally purchase.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand the argument about charge times not being fast enough. If you have the home charging station (not the standard wall-plug in that takes many hours), you don't really have to worry. Come home, plug it in, done.

Long trips aren't an issue as well. We took ours from Vancouver to Edmonton really easily. Had to stop off at a few places and use the Tesla chargers for about half an hour but it wasn't a big issue as you can use it for bathroom / food / leg stretching. Plus, Manning Park is a lot of fun. Plenty of tools online that help with travel routes with an EV.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
My plan is to keep my current car until it becomes too much of an expense/pain in the ass to keep running. I don't drive much so that might be a long time. After that getting an EV is a real possibility as right now the only thing stopping me is that there is no reason to replace my current car.