• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It really doesn't change the fact that his creator is still a racist prick and while he may not own the character anymore is probably still very elated at the recognition his work is continuing to receive.

Honest to god I would have rathered Camillia from fates than to give Notch this ego boost

Notch's involvement in the active development of Minecraft ended a mere 2 years into its lifespan, long before he'd publicly outed himself as a bigot. Microsoft has owned Mojang and the entirety of the Minecraft IP for longer than Notch ever did. His name has not been officially tied to the game outside of its credits since a rare easter egg was removed early last year. Notch himself is currently a bitter man with no real future and no real friends who chooses to waste his time and money getting into Twitter spats.

Meanwhile Minecraft has become the definiton of a global phenomenon and an inspiration for kids practically everywhere. It's got an official education program that teaches basic coding to children. Reporters Without Borders uses it as a library for content censored by authoritarian regimes the world over. The community, on top of being one of the most genuinely inviting ones around, has provided genuine refuge for literally thousands of neuro-divergent kids who would have otherwise not had a place on the internet to truly feel safe in.

Choosing not to represent that in Smash simply on the off-chance that the miserable racist twat who initially made might feel happy about it is just... I don't get it. That you instead choose the definition of a "sexualised female character design," as the alternative doesn't exactly paint the idea in the best light either.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
No problem with Steve

But it should be
KATTAPPR001.jpg

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Not a fan of Minecraft at all, but tbh is one of the last big franchises not yet in Smash.

Yeah, it was such an obvious missing piece. Minecraft is huge around the world, and huge on Switch in Japan. It was going to happen.

With such a large roster of all time favourites, I can't understand why some people get annoyed because one DLC character doesn't suit them.

I don't understand this either. People have it in their heads that somehow every character should be tailor made to their specific interests, which is of course impossible.

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
People talk about the financial incentive, and while that's true, I feel like its such a cynical take that removes the special from this announcement.

Minecraft has literally lived through a decade, and children have grown into teenagers playing the game, and kids still play it now. They have the emotional attachment to these characters and concepts that we do to our old SNES characters. They have crafted worlds and experienced the emotional Rollercoaster of developing along with this game.

Its not so young of a series to just talk about the financial incentive, but it has been an entire childhood to people and still plays a huge importance to this day. Adults will grow up having forged bonds in childhood through minecraft, like how console warring, game magazines, early internet, ,old console games etc. brought us together in the 80s and 90s.

So yeah, this is an important announcement.

gfbandito

One Winged Slayer
Apr 5, 2020
Again, "WHY NOT ANOTHER OBSCURE ANIME SWORD GUY?!?" is not this super clever gotcha when this place loses its goddamn mind whenever sakurai puts in yet another fire emblem character!

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
I don't contest that he's a great pick, he's a good fit and his move set looks interesting.

He's just not exciting to me personally. I'm more interested in niche characters from decades old RPGs that will never actually be in the game.

A Pokemon or Fire Emblem character would have been exciting for me.
But the game already has what, eight FE characters? Geez.

Feb 7, 2020
My personal top three somewhat realistic picks:
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Professor Layton
  • Ryu Hayabusa.
Other characters that would make me happy:
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Wonder Red
  • Crono from Chrono Trigger
  • Neku Sakuraba
  • Dante/Nero from Devil May Cry
  • Geno
  • Terra from FFVI
  • Heihachi Mishima
  • Chibi Robo
  • Skull Kid

And if I'm allowed to make some picks that are realistically just never gonna happen:
  • Gyubrush Threepwood
  • Klonoa
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • Okami
  • Tingle
  • Sam & Max
  • Kat from Gravity Rush
  • Kazuma Kiryu
  • Graham from King's Quest.
Keeping preaching the good word... this 100%

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
When I saw the announcement, I was like, "WOW, MY KIDS WILL SCREAM WHEN THEY SEE THIS!!"

And they did! While I'm neutral about the series, I do love what they are doing with the Minecraft concept. It's a BIG deal because it is one of the best known video game series ever. That representation in Smash really makes sense.

Bonus points that the main skin added ethnicity.

FZed

Dec 30, 2019
Kazuma Kiryu from Yakuza
d4c.gif

But more realistically someone with a big "Sony's rep" would be great!

Donizetty

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Mexico
They redesigned Mr. Game & Watch for Smash Melee. This is how I remembered it:
iu

My problem with Steve has more to do with the ugly texture I guess, so it would have been nice if they toned it down (even if just a bit) for smash and kept them looking more like flat colours. It would also remove that "model rip" impression that no other fighter has.
iu

I'm sure that people who played the game for hours and hours actually like them, though.
with your pic I just noticed... Steve's smile is a beard!!!

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I mean, from what we've seen of the mechanics so far this already far and away the most fascinating character in Smash. Even if you're a grumpy old, you should be able to appreciate how unique this is.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Tbone5189 I think that character is making SSBU look like a new game from Nintendo coming out in holiday (word of mouth wise).
Do you think that SSBU will sell more because of Minecraft in Smash in holiday, than MK8D;)?
Would be courious to know your pov!

Oct 27, 2017
A ton:
Travis Touchdown
Flynn, Demifiend, Nanashi or the SMT V protagonist
Rex
Elma
One of the champions from Botw
Shantae
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
The Gatekeeper from 3 Houses or most any other Fire Emblem character
Phoenix Wright
Just about any Pokemon
Wonder Red
Astral Chain protagonist
I can keep going on, but I'll stop here.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Master Chief would been boss or Elma from Xeno2
I honestly expect Waluigi at this point only because Sakurai has listened to fan requests before with K Rool, Dark Samus and Chrom

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Any number of first party characters would've made me happy. Still a few choices from Switch and Wii U games that I think would fit well. Rex/Pyra may be the most obvious choice here. Tsubasa Oribe is my "recent first party character that's probably not ever going to happen" pick. A Breath of the Wild character would still make sense, especially with the game not being a one-off and those characters remaining relevant over several years now.

I'm pickier when it comes to third parties. I still think Arle seems like a great choice. Saw someone else mention Terra from Final Fantasy VI and I still think that'd be a great choice. Will always think she was a better fit than Cloud was.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
People talk about the financial incentive, and while that's true, I feel like its such a cynical take that removes the special from this announcement.

Minecraft has literally lived through a decade, and children have grown into teenagers playing the game, and kids still play it now. They have the emotional attachment to these characters and concepts that we do to our old SNES characters. They have crafted worlds and experienced the emotional Rollercoaster of developing along with this game.

Its not so young of a series to just talk about the financial incentive, but it has been an entire childhood to people and still plays a huge importance to this day. Adults will grow up having forged bonds in childhood through minecraft, like how console warring, game magazines, early internet, ,old console games etc. brought us together in the 80s and 90s.

So yeah, this is an important announcement.
Eloquently put. I'm also bit surprised so many just sees Minecraft as a game for kids. Especially weird on a forum where Pokemon is one of the most popular IP:s discussed. The demographics arent that different. I say this as someone who sees every day at work what kids are into.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Literally anyone other than the Minecraft guy. I know people who are excited about this because their 9 year old is over the moon about it, but I'm not one of them.

Tails or Knuckles (Sonic), Pyra, Rex, Rhyn, or Tora (Xenoblade), Geno (Mario RPG), Crash, Coco or Neo Cortex (Crash), young Impa (Zelda), X, Zero, Protoman or Roll (Mega Man), Alucard (Castlevania), Rayman, Conker (Conker), Chris, Claire, Jill or Leon (RE), Locke or Terra (Final Fantasy), Chase (LEGO City), the dude from Daemon x Machina, the twins from Astral Chain, War or Death (Darksiders), Ori (Ori), Abe (Oddworld), Travis Touchdown (NMH)...

I could do this for days. Minecraft guy was a bush league choice.