• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
But Minecraft is huge on Nintendo platforms. Halo is... not. I don't know how Master Chief would even make sense.
Neither is Persona, but Joker still got in because Persona Q2 was released in the weeks after he was released in Smash. He got in through pure promo, not because he or the franchise are big on Nintendo systems. I don't see the issue with Master Chief anymore, to be honest.
That's a super weird line to draw. If 2 isn't a problem, 3 isn't a problem. If there's another pass at least. If anything, this makes it more plausible, since Steve is the 2nd biggest character Microsoft could add behind Chief. Before this we didn't know for sure if they'd be open to doing that (outside of Banjo which is heavily tied to Nintendo and not tied to any recent MS games so very different).
I know that it's a weird line to draw, but wasn't it confirmed that there won't be a Fighters Pass 3? If Chief got in almost 1/3 of all DLC would've gone to Microsoft. And MS would have more characters in Smash through DLC alone than some of Nintendo's japanese partners have added over the entire franchise history, like Square or SNK (2 and 1 char respectively) and as much as Konami, Sega and Capcom (3 each). I know it's stupid to assume that, but I don't know if Nintendo wants to have that many Microsoft characters anymore.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's really insulting to be handed a poorly defined block man that is replaceable and has no story at all, and then see people like you come in here to say "here's your black character, now take it and stfu".
No one is saying take it and stfu.
The guy he was responding to says Steve isn't a POC. He is. Is he great representation. Absolutely not. He is a POC though. Nintendo should absolutely have actual representation though. Not just Steve who, while being a POC, having zero real character to him isn't really representation

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Nothing. I genuinely don't care about Minecraft making it into Smash.

What I have a problem with is people not being able to muster the empathy to recognize other people are passionate about Smash, are passionate about characters they want to see in Smash yet may not care about Minecraft. Steve's inclusion causes disappointment, maybe even anger, and that's fine. That kind of reaction is not embarrassing, it's not immature, it's just human.
I'm sorry but feeling anger because of a dlc character in a videogame is definitely immature.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
This was a fun announcement for me. I'm sure it was not easy to implement as Sakurai mentioned, but I am happy that they went the extra mile on this.

Day 1 purchase.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Msn, seeing that they maintained the janky weird minecraft animations and shit is such a huge appeal to me. I love watching his dumb floaty jumps and shit in this trailer. The juxtaposition is hilarious.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I think Minecraft Steve is an excellent addition but I've always held out a completely unrealistic hope for Chibi Robo to get a slot.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Literally anyone to be honest.
Steve looks like shit and just out of place compared to every other character.
A Mii costume would have been just enough imo (and the stage, why not).

Minecraft is fine, I just hate Steve for many reasons and it seems I'm not alone on this boat.

Oct 28, 2017
Spoiler Alert: We are at the stage of the internet, and deep enough into the roster, that literally anyone is going to drum up a large amount of criticism from some corner of the community.

The secret to contentment? Don't care, don't speculate, don't blind-buy DLC like this and then grouse about "I can't believe I spent money on this".

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Geno. Instead we got Minecraft. Doesn't exactly help shed the kid game image IMO.
The same Geno who is literally a wooden toy doll? Don't think that would help shed the image you have of the series either.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Edelgard from FE tbh

Steve feels like he should be an assist that came with a stage. For a Microsoft rep I'd have chosen Master Chief. I know Minecraft is huge and iconic but the character just doesn't feel like he has a personality, though it's clear Sakurai is trying to give him one. The whole aesthetic also feels very out of place, which is weird to say given Smash mixes a bunch of different styles together, but there's something about the Minecraft art style and blocks that doesn't look right. Personally I was hoping for Impa or a Xenoblade character. Having all women for this second pass after the first was all guys should've been a conscious decision they made tbh.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm super baffled that some people see this as a flavor-of-the-month "what's popular with the kidz" inclusion. I get if you don't like it or never played it, but this a decade old, generation defining, mainstream reaching game.

There's "out-of-touch" then there's "the last 10 years never happened".

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you are really mean-spirited. The first few pages of this are so angry. I know it's simmered down, but it's still astounding at first glance. I can't wait for my little brother to wake up soon, honestly. He's going to freak out over this news.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Literally who?

Just kidding.
I can't believe this is real. It still looks fake. It's what everyone joked about, but now it's really here. Gotta admit though, it certainly didn't look exciting. The reveal, specifically. And Sakurai as well. Maybe that impression will change at the next showing. But Minecraft is definitely not my cup of tea. I am over the age of 20 so I'm not nostalgic or anything for it.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft absolutely deserves a representation, but Steve seems kind of boring. Boring design and animations, no personality or backstory, etc.

That said, i also think most FE characters, Joker, WFT, etc. are boring so this is nothing new to me. And unlike many other characters, Steve has the potential of making Smash even more popular.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Msn, seeing that they maintained the janky weird minecraft animations and shit is such a huge appeal to me. I love watching his dumb floaty jumps and shit in this trailer. The juxtaposition is hilarious.
The whole trailer with Mario being terrifyied and Steve's dead pan look while eating meat slayed me.

Or at the end of the final smash and he is just staring into the camera.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I'm just happy it's a character representing a game that wasn't already being represented. But if I had to choose someone... Claire, Chris, or Leon from Resident Evil.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
yes, that's what so many people are doing re: this announcement

steve's inclusion is raising their blood pressure for no reason lol
Isn't that true for a lot of things, in video games and beyond? You and me both got tilted over a dumb dragon kicking our asses in MHW. Now Steve got announced for Smash and people get salty, but apparently that crosses the line?

You can reduce every hobby people get passionate about, good or bad, to inconsequential nonsense, but that doesn't mean you have to.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
There's like 75 or so characters in ultimate, more than most other fighting games. They dont all have to be ones you like.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
But Minecraft is huge on Nintendo platforms. Halo is... not. I don't know how Master Chief would even make sense.

It's always been pretty clear that it's a celebration of gaming, not a celebration of Nintendo. Hell, Cloud is in the game, he has zero history with Nintendo until FF7 came out on Switch. We got Joker too. Snake to a lesser extent, he's in the NES games and Twin Snakes but that's pretty close to nothing in terms of the modern day. I guess Halo not being on Nintendo platforms makes it very slightly less likely, but overall it's irrelevant, and he's still possible.

I know that it's a weird line to draw, but wasn't it confirmed that there won't be a Fighters Pass 3? If Chief got in almost 1/3 of all DLC would've gone to Microsoft. And MS would have more characters in Smash through DLC alone than some of Nintendo's japanese partners have added over the entire franchise history, like Square or SNK (2 and 1 char respectively) and as much as Konami, Sega and Capcom (3 each). I know it's stupid to assume that, but I don't know if Nintendo wants to have that many Microsoft characters anymore.

Yeah, I guess that's true. I always assumed another pass would come regardless and many other people have echoed it, but I forgot they did say that so maybe not.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused, why does Shantae have a rich history with Nintendo consoles, while Minecraft (which like Shantae had its games released on every relevant Nintendo platform on the market at time of their release) doesn't?
If we ignore the recent ports:
The original Shantae was exclusive to GBC, and even with re-releases is still exclusive to Nintendo platforms.
Risky's Revenge was originally exclusive to DSi (initially planned to be GBA exclusive before delays)
Pirate's Curse was originally 3DS and Wii U exclusive before slowly getting ports to PC and other formats in following years

And then throw in Wayforward having a long history of putting out Nintendo exclusive games dating way back to the GBC era. Compare to Minecraft which.... is a PC game that eventually got ported to everything (with Nintendo versions being basically always the last of the lot in their respective generations).

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I feel like Hunter (From Monster Hunter) and Chosen Undead (Dark Souls) are characters that represent franchises that have redefined or pretty much created those genres. Quite literally there are games that 'copy' the MH formula (Toukiden, Gods Eater, Dauntless) and games that copy the souls-like formula (Mortal Shell, Code Vein, The Surge, etc).

I feel like this is massively deserving of representation. Doom Slayer pioneered the FPS genre, and now since Bethesda is Microsoft owned it might be easier to incorporate?

Edit: This comment is in no way undermining Minecraft. It did exactly what I said above and much more. It deserves to be in Smash.
Idk about monster hunter, but picking the Chosen Undead as the representative of Dark Souls would be the same problem as picking Steve is for Minecraft. He's not really interesting.

If hypothetically they were to pick a Dark Souls character, someone like Ornstein should be the one chosen.

Or hell, Artorias.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Minecraft absolutely deserves a representation, but Steve seems kind of boring. Boring design and animations, no personality or backstory, etc.

That said, i also think most FE characters, Joker, WFT, etc. are boring so this is nothing new to me. And unlike many other characters, Steve has the potential of making Smash even more popular.
It's not just Steve though. If you don't like Steve there is skins for the Alex, Zombie or Enderman too, so if Steve himself is painful there is other options

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Are we really going to make a big deal about this DLC character? Look Minecraft ain't my cup of tea either, but we're still a long ways to go before reaching the final DLC character for fighters pass #2.

Criticism is fine, but calm down people!

Jun 23, 2019
The same Geno who is literally a wooden toy doll? Don't think that would help shed the image you have of the series either.

Geno, a character that was used in an game before a good portion of the people in this thread was probably alive? Ok. We managed to put in several DLC characters recently that only adults would appreciate and then Nintendo goes backwards to Minecraft. I'll pass.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Glad for for those who wanted him, but this is yet another misfire for me. Nintendo is now 2 for 7 on DLC challengers in my opinion, and I'm now wondering if there'll be any of the new pack I like at all.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Tingle- The 35th anniversary of The Legend of Zelda series is next year & would be perfect.
Masthead_Tingle.17345b1513ac044897cfc243542899dce541e8dc.9afde10b.png

Keep that fat rupee hoarding bastard out of Smash. I would take 10 more Fire Emblem characters who all use swords to avoid Tingle being in Smash. I still have PTSD flashbacks to Wind Waker's tri-force quest.