• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The alert music after killing major targets in the first Assassins Creed was really fucking good. Even listening to it now makes me want to run the fuck away.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
All of Sayonara Wild Hearts is basically this

And for the low price of $13!

Sayonara actually builds each of its levels around its music, start to finish. It's not a rhythm game, but the gameplay is synchronized and changes with each segment of the song. Hazards and button prompts are also synced to the music to an impressive degree. Collectibles in some of the levels even act as additional instruments for the song based on the noise they make when you grab them. It's glorious.

Donsonite

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The music changes depending on your actions for DMC5's last boss fight, and it's perfect. That comes to mInd for me, but lots of good examples in this thread.

Nocturno

Oct 27, 2017
Ikaruga. In every stage of the game the music adapts incredibly well.

Last edited:

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Sayonara Wild Hearts is literally those kind of moments but for an hour straight it's incredible & deserves so much more love & praise than it got

Oct 25, 2017
Recently? When you turn Fortnite on for the first time after C2S1 was released. The combination of not realizing that the game was going to cold open like that, and the song choice (surprisingly) worked to be a cohesive celebration of Fortnite's history up to this point, and the game turning a corner in general with a new map and approach to on-ramping new players. Check out the whole thing:

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
No mention of the souls games yet?
I am really bad when it comes to noticing and remembering music, however do remember moments being epic partially due to it.

Control comes to mind like someone else posted. Most of the Souls games. Destiny too.

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Picking up the sword and preparing to smite Crota in Destiny. I know it's "on cue" but it's soooo good.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
There is a really cool segment in Ace Combat 7 when you fight that huge aircraft. When the shield goes down the main theme starts playing really loud.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017

The Riven fight in D2 Forsaken was the last time I really felt moved by the music and action on screen. It has a real sense of urgency to it, and the fight, done without cheese is really intense and great.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
That one section when you start attacking space whales in Child of Eden. This is probably cheating though since it's a music game

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
The more I read the posts in this thread the more I realize that both Destiny 1&2 have some of the greatest BGMs ever.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Little detail, but in Super Robot Wars V, if you let the animation of the Cross Ange protagonist's final attack play at normal speed, the animation syncs up with the music, so when the angelic singing sound comes up it will look like the character is singing it herself.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Ffxiv's Bahamut Prime used the opening fmv music of the game, but set to escalate with each phase of the fight.

In the final phase, some of the lyrics of the song acted as punctuation for the boss' signature attack.

mORTEN

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The ending of the intro to Doom 2016. That shotgun-cock ending the beat. That shit hyped me good!

Noosa

May 27, 2019
The shockwave sequence of Inside.

It starts with just an explosion sound every few seconds, and after solving a certain puzzle it transforms in a warm ambient wave song.
It really brings home that you are now safer than in the beginning of the sequence.

Don't have audio right now so I don't know if this clip contains the correct audio:

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway

A recent example that comes to mind is When you're escaping with Paz in Ground Zeroes with bullets zipping by you, lightning storms and rain pouring down and this kicks in. Nothing in Phantom Pain came close.

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The moment in Watch Dogs 1 where CREAM plays during an ambush is the only really memorable part of that game. But man is that an incredible

Also the airport scene in Max Payne 3.
HEALTH really aced this soundtrack.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Say what you will about the games themselves, but the 3D Sonic games final bosses almost always have moments that seem perfectly tuned to match up to the music's hypest moments

Also the final bosses of both MGS3 and 4 do it perfectly, by having the music transition through various stages (No Music > Snake Eater no vocals > Snake Eater with vocals for the former, various boss themes from thru the series in the latter)

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Thread reminded me of when someone did freestyle musical to Smash footage which is a cool concept (that game is pure freestyle)

The shockwave sequence of Inside.

It starts with just an explosion sound every few seconds, and after solving a certain puzzle it transforms in a warm ambient wave song.
It really brings home that you are now safer than in the beginning of the sequence.

Don't have audio right now so I don't know if this clip contains the correct audio:

Inside in general has incredible audio-visual synchronicity. ie. the perfect marching in time

yup, was going to post that, here's the gameplay version of it :

at 0:50

Recently beat the game and that one stands out. At that point it becomes the Starfox game ive wanted for generations.

Ori and the Blind Forest - Ginso Tree.

Best moment of the game.

Yea... Polygon lost me with not even mentioning that game. All the escape sequences were great.

Nier Automata: The EntireGame!

A Beautiful Song

Last edited:

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I see Nier A have been posted but this...

the music is so integral into the whole experience, especially when that part hits.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
Title drop and shotgun sound FX to DOOM 2016.

And I'm also -slightly- biased, but every single fight in Killer Instinct. Ultra combos were actually designed to compose with the music.

Thanks, Mick.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
The Wonderful 101 has this song that begins to play when you are getting the advantage over the boss you are fighting against - and it's GLORIOUS:

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
*melancholic violin*
"FUCK YOU!"
*Devil Trigger remix starts*

*bashes bosses heads together*
*Lyrics kick in*
"You feeling accepting yet!?"