• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone has. Dude hasn't been seen since Bendis used him in his Thor run.

Hey, we wouldn't have Rachel Grey without it!

And we definitely wouldn't have Rachel stealing Zack from Aerith!

1236544-rachel_grey_marvel_girl_8.jpg

korvus04.jpg
Last I seen of Atum was his spine getting ripped out by one of the Skrull gods during the Chaos War. Did he come back? When they made the Phoenix a Soul Cutter, they should have stopped

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I'd go as far as to say it's the most popular take among those who have been reading comics as long as we all have. Served on ice, just the way I like it.
Everytime someone tries a new take of the Phoenix it either fails to miss every point about the Phoenix or takes it in a bizarre other direction.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Shit was a whack version of Blackest Night built off of the corpse of something greater.

You need something good in your life, like some Fruit Snacks.

bulk-welch-s-fruit-snacks-sup----sup-mixed-fruit-packs-250-pc-~k1420-b
Nope, anything gummy disgusts me. The texture sickens me, for real, something gummy hits my tongue and i start gagging

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Blackest night wasn't even that good, except for the joke moments

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
People hate Aaron now? I don't know about his avengers, but Scalped, Southern Bastards, Wolverine and the X-men, Thor, Dr Strange, were all great runs so i find it hard to believe it's that bad.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Everytime someone tries a new take of the Phoenix it either fails to miss every point about the Phoenix or takes it in a bizarre other direction.
I guess I am bitter because the whole point was it was always Jean, and the whole more power than one can handle and corruption and self sacrifice, all wiped out and the Phoenix being a separate entity thanks to editorial and Busiek when Layton 1. Was willing to not use Jean 2. Left the book while it was still in single digits.

It's one of the few retcons I don't just dislike but actively despise and want nothing to do with anything that has come from it since.

Last edited:

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Hot take but anything involving the Phoenix Force outside of Jean Grey is trash

No, you are absolutely right

And every time it has gotten less and less special

It used to just be a Jean Grey thing

Then just a Grey thing (Rachel)

Then a Grey and powerful mystic thing (Original Feron...but still kept the generic component, as the insufferable Excalibur Feron felt he was entitled to being a host but clearly Rachel was preferred)

Then Morrison and his damn Quentin Quire making him destined to be a Phoenix Host...but at least it's an exclusively Omega Psychic thing which Jean still shown as the prime Phoenix avatar, even among a multitude of universal, maybe multiversal Phoenix hosts

Then Phoenix Endsong and Emma is inexplicalbly temporarily a host...but ok she's not really a host, she says herself she's just a shell and is getting burned out...afteralll the Phoenix also possessed a firefly. Jean is once again shown as the White Phoenix of the Crown

(We won't even touch Phoenix Warsong)

Then more Shi'ar BS with Korvus and his freaking Phoenix Blade containing a "blue echo" remnant of the Phoenix power that was imbued by his ancestor, Rook'shir, before turning Dark Phoenix and being the "chaos bringer" of Shi'ar legend. ..lame retcon, and makes their shock at Jean Dark Phoenix really stupid...but at least there's still a family/genetic link

Then bloody Hope "plot device" Summers and another "destined" Phoenix host...and she's not even a psychic...but it's still an Omega mutant thing at least right?

Enter Avengers vs. X-Men and the extremely random Phoenix Farce/Five...all logic and restrained has been forfeit and any ties to established lore severed...instead reduced to the most basic and lame interpretation as an "evil" world destroying parasite and apparently there's nothing special about who is a host...at this point Toad could be a Phoenix Host.

(Btw, not including other one-off, alternate reality, or far future stuff like "just a regular human guy" Phoenix, Giraud from the Guardians of the Galaxy 3000)

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
No, you are absolutely right

And every time it has gotten less and less special

It used to just be a Jean Grey thing

Then just a Grey thing (Rachel)

Then a Grey and powerful mystic thing (Original Feron...but still kept the generic component, as the insufferable Excalibur Feron felt he was entitled to being a host but clearly Rachel was preferred)

Then Morrison and his damn Quentin Quire making him destined to be a Phoenix Host...but at least it's an exclusively Omega Psychic thing which Jean still shown as the prime Phoenix avatar, even among a multitude of universal, maybe multiversal Phoenix hosts

Then Phoenix Endsong and Emma is inexplicalbly temporarily a host...but ok she's not really a host, she says herself she's just a shell and is getting burned out...afteralll the Phoenix also possessed a firefly. Jean is once again shown as the White Phoenix of the Crown

(We won't even touch Phoenix Warsong)

Then more Shi'ar BS with Korvus and his freaking Phoenix Blade containing a "blue echo" remnant of the Phoenix power that was imbued by his ancestor, Rook'shir, before turning Dark Phoenix and being the "chaos bringer" of Shi'ar legend. ..lame retcon, and makes their shock at Jean Dark Phoenix really stupid...but at least there's still a family/genetic link

Then bloody Hope "plot device" Summers and another "destined" Phoenix host...and she's not even a psychic...but it's still an Omega mutant thing at least right?

Enter Avengers vs. X-Men and the extremely random Phoenix Farce/Five...all logic and restrained has been forfeit and any ties to established lore severed...instead reduced to the most basic and lame interpretation as an "evil" world destroying parasite and apparently there's nothing special about who is a host...at this point Toad could be a Phoenix Host.

(Btw, not including other one-off, alternate reality, or far future stuff like "just a regular human guy" Phoenix, Giraud from the Guardians of the Galaxy 3000)
I was going to make a thread but i knew you would come in with all the smoke

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to make a thread but i knew you would come in with all the smoke

Me(Gamora)...Nonsensical Phoenix stories(Thrashed U.N. soldiers)

YxwQcj4.jpg

I get a lil extra sometimes, lol

Oh I forgot to add...so crucial is the genetic affinity to the Phoenix Force, that the Shi'ar preemptively massacred the entire Grey family line and branded Rachel...but apparently not if Tony Stark can just "repulsor blast" the Force into some random hosts (one of whom turns Dark anyway)...so they were all killed for nothing? That's some bullshit

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

YxwQcj4.jpg

Oh I forgot to add...so crucial is the genetic affinity to the Phoenix Force, that the Shi'ar preemptively massacred the entire Grey family line and branded Rachel...but apparently not if Tony Stark can just "repulsor blast" the Force into some random hosts (one of whom turns Dark anyway)...so they were all killed for nothing? That's some bullshit
Avengers vs X-Men is a shitty crossover except for the middle issue Hickman wrote. The whole premise behind it is stupid.

In fact, after this crossover, the Phoenix Force should be given to the X-Men team to fix all of the nonsense that's plagued it since Messiah Complex.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

YxwQcj4.jpg

My thread was going to be about Jean maybe not being the most powerful X-Lady

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Thor run was good. I haven't seen any of his avengers stuff. Though, I think that he is suffering from the same thing all over extended writers goes through.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Last I read, Aaron's Avengers has a lot of fun concepts, but just doesn't feel...substantial. The Proto Avengers, the Vampire Team, the Celestial Base, etc. All interesting, but it just doesn't click for me. It feels like it should get me hype, but it doesn't.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Would explain why he didn't do anything when the defenders tried to beat up Gaia
I just happened to stumble on that panel in a google image search earlier today and was looking at it trying to figure out why they were all blasting her and she just was sitting there like it didn't even phase her. It was pretty funny.

iu

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I just happened to stumble on that panel in a google image search earlier today and was looking at it trying to figure out why they were all blasting her and she just was sitting there like it didn't even phase her. It was pretty funny.

iu
They are under a curse that is powered by her. When big shit is going down they are teleported together to stop it. With personalities like that you can see how they got over it quick

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Avengers vs X-Men is a shitty crossover except for the middle issue Hickman wrote. The whole premise behind it is stupid.

In fact, after this crossover, the Phoenix Force should be given to the X-Men team to fix all of the nonsense that's plagued it since Messiah Complex.
Which was funnily enough what I thought the whole endgame of AvX was going to be but NOPE. Just 5 more mutants. Have fun with thst.

Oct 28, 2017
Always weird when comic needs freak out over new stuff. As if they don't know how all of this works already. Just wait awhile and it'll get changed back or forgotten completely.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always weird when comic needs freak out over new stuff. As if they don't know how all of this works already. Just wait awhile and it'll get changed back or forgotten completely.

Depends on how important the change is, I think. And some last longer than others.

Like, is this a "Doc Ock is Spider-Man for a bit?" Or is it a "Osborn had sex with Gwen Stacy?"