• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...origin.

Soooo, in the midst of some Phoenix-based tournament (I don't usually read the book), the Phoenix - or her avatar - tells Thor that his real mother is

Well, her. Not Gaia. Idk what this is leading to, but man, a bunch of Thor stuff happens in Avengers events, huh?

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Man, does everyone need a new father and new mother and new siblings?

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
and this is why i stopped actively following comics, the constant need to change shit like origins for no reason resetting great character back 20 years because the company is tying in to new movie or video game. trying to make the same character into new character with a new history when you can just make a new character

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've never understood what people saw in his Thor, and his Avengers is outright abysmal. What he did with Moon Knight and Mjolnir was shit too.

Wish he would get the Morrison treatment, keep a few things (gorr, Jane Thor) and bin the rest before his run is even finished.

He has gotten way too comfy and I think it's time Marvel let him go.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Aaron's Avengers has had a couple of ideas I like, but on the whole it's been pretty awful. I really hope someone else takes over the book sooner rather than later.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Dunno whats happened to Aaron. His Wolverine and the X-Men was exceptional, and Godbutcher was great, and then he just lost the magic and went into endless bullshit revelations and retcons. I mean, I do know whats happened. Its what happens to 9/10 cape comic writers where they just run out ideas, get exhausted and are just treading water creatively and nobody in management has the stones to politely shuffle them off.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It's not the Phoenix itself that is potentially Thor's mom (note Thor is convinced it is a lie) but the Phoenix's first mutant host.

I don't hate it. And it's an easy retcon as most people don't even know Freya isn't Thor's real mom in the first place.

But it seems a bit unnecessary and honestly the only thing I actually dislike about Aaron's run is his constant need to tie modern things. to his Pre-historic Avengers stuff that has been boring since the second time he did.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Hm? I could be wrong, but I don't think she played any part in this arc at all. Jean is just one of the Phoenix hosts.
Jean was in the beginning issue with Wolverine.

And Jean isn't just a Phoenix host, she's the physical representation of the Phoenix in Earth-616. Every universe has one person who's the Prime Phoenix Force user, and that's Jean Grey.

She's actually #1 in the multiverse, but she doesn't want that shit anymore so now it's looking for second string.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Jean was in the beginning issue with Wolverine.

And Jean isn't just a Phoenix host, she's the physical representation of the Phoenix in Earth-616. Every universe has one person who's the Prime Phoenix Force user, and that's Jean Grey.

She's actually #1 in the multiverse, but she doesn't want that shit anymore so now it's looking for second string.
Thank you for the correction!

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Aaron started kind of telegraphing the importance of Phoenix to Thor (and in Avengers 1MBC) for the last couple years so I'm not shocked. I'm sure this will be a part of the next big crossover.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for the correction!

1619174-foxworld009.jpg

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Aaron started kind of telegraphing the importance of Phoenix to Thor (and in Avengers 1MBC) for the last couple years so I'm not shocked. I'm sure this will be a part of the next big crossover.
This will probably fall away to be forgotten by the next crossover.

Hopefully they get around to doing the same with Iron Man's current origin.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Hasn't Aaron been writing Thor or books with Thor for like 8 years straight at this point? Guy has probably run out of ideas on what to do with him anymore.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird to look at Hickman's rich, textured Avengers run and then look at Aaron's flat, corny, Saturday Morning Cartoon run.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Would explain why he didn't do anything when the defenders tried to beat up Gaia

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
would not be surprised this is why they are doing this
This is way too convoluted to be in a movie.

Hell, the retcon that Thor was the son of Gaea and not Freya was kind of too convoluted to be in a movie until you could just rationalize it as Odin being a cheating bastard (who kind of hooked up with his great great great grandmother).

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
This is way too convoluted to be in a movie.

Hell, the retcon that Thor was the son of Gaea and not Freya was kind of too convoluted to be in a movie until you could just rationalize it as Odin being a cheating bastard (who kind of hooked up with his great great great grandmother).
I thought Odin and Gaia had thor as backup plan for the celestials?

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna get back into Jason's run of Avengers but then I hear about nonsense like this and I'm like "I'll just stick to the X-men books" lol

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Hasn't Aaron been writing Thor or books with Thor for like 8 years straight at this point? Guy has probably run out of ideas on what to do with him anymore.
I remember when Aaron wrote Thor, a God, and his big story was about all Gods being killed. Then he later wrote Doctor Strange, a magician, and the big story there was about all magic being killed... Dude has been out of ideas for a while

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This sort of bullshit that will eventually be erased is one of the reasons why I stopped reading comics. Feels like a writer trying to put his own stamp on the character rather than serving the story.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
I think the God Butcher arc is really great. The rest of Aaron's stuff I can take or leave.

NexusCell

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Aaron is awful at anything that's not Thor. One of the most hilarious things about his run is how clear pretty much all of the other writers at Marvel ignore his Avengers stuff.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Time to introduce Jean Grey in the next Thor movie

Folks I know everyone wants to see mutants in the MCU like yesterday but they're not going to start dropping major X-Men characters into random films 3+ years before any X-Men movies are on the schedule. We might get a mention of the Phoenix Force in one of the Phase 4 cosmic movies, but you won't be seeing Jean Grey.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Folks I know everyone wants to see mutants in the MCU like yesterday but they're not going to start dropping major X-Men characters into random films 3+ years before any X-Men movies are on the schedule. We might get a mention of the Phoenix Force in one of the Phase 4 cosmic movies, but you won't be seeing Jean Grey.
The way Wandavision is going I doubt you will see the Phoenix any time soon. Would be too redundant

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
This Phoenix Arc has been REALLY bad.

I'm a huge mark for Marvel's supernatural shit so I loved the fact that Blade and Ghost Rider joined the team, but man Aaron's run has just been getting worse.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel needs to forbid Jason Aaron for using the Phoenix Force ever again.