• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good lord at the number of "keep it down" posts. I didn't realize my dad was on Era. And had like 12 accounts.

Being there on opening night and being part of a genuine mob reaction to exciting and thrilling things on screen is fucking awesome.

Like, the What's Up Danger sequence in Spiderverse was awesome, but hearing 75 other people getting hyped as fuck with you magnifies it.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The amount of people upset by people getting excited about a movie is baffling. Just don't go the theater and wait for it come out at home if you don't want to deal with people expressing themselves.
I see. So I have to wait 6 months because you think a public space is your living room. Why not get your phone out too? Do some surfing in the slow parts.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Being hyped and excited gives you free reign to act like a toddler who can't control themselves? Again, you're negatively affecting others who do not feel the same way you do. Other people have paid to see and hear the movie, not your fucking hyena screeches as your emotionally climax to a Marvel film going where it telegraphed it was going to go about an hour earlier.

Or maybe those people should wait a little bit to see a movie that is meant to bring that excitement and hype out. Like really at this point it should be especially expected at opening weekend, and it doesn't mean a bad thing.

I don't even do much cheering to be honest, but by damn was the midnight launch of the last Harry Potter movie one of the best theater moments ever.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
How dare we want to hear the movie we're paying for, instead of being pulled out of our the experience so you can whoop and clap for nobody present, because you can't control yourself in a public setting. Do you do the same thing in an art gallery when a work moves you?

I know I've had people at art gallerys aproaching me to ask me what I think about the piece I'm watching, and I've never asked them to, and that just made the whole experience more enjoyable because I get to know other perspectives. In fact from experience people "bothering" other people in art galleries is pretty common

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing The Last Jedi was awesome, all the jokes killed and all the hype moments got great reactions. There were a lot of 'wows' and 'holy shits' during the Holdo maneuver. If I could I would re-watch The Last Jedi over and over with that crowd.

You could hear a pin drop during the Holdo maneuver in my theater, and even some gasps and "whoaaa"s. People responded through the whole movie: cheered when Yoda showed up, hooted when it was clear Luke was Force projecting, clapped when Luke disappeared. And I treasure that movie experience especially because it, to me, showed how contrived, subjective and/or disingenuous so many of the bad takes on TLJ since have been.

Oct 28, 2017
It may be the single most hyped moment I've ever seen and the only other time I heard a crowd that excited ,outside of Cap at the train station was this:

This shit sounded like the Philly Special at Chikie and Pete's

Yes, we regularly watch American-made movies dubbed into foreign languages or with foreign subtitles. It's completely random, you never know what you're going to get when you go into the theater. One time, I went to see The Aviator and everything was in Norwegian with Dutch subtitles.

I was at that same show. Shit was dope.

Staggering levels of pompous self-importance in here.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I assume this is more the day 1 crowd? I've seen all of these movies in theaters but never day 1, often opening weekend and can't recall people being this obnoxious. Like I get hyped for these films and stuff too but I'd never start screaming in the theater. I stay quiet because that's what I expect others to do too.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was lit. Thor is my favorite so I was going nuts

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that you can't emotionally resonate with a film. Something involuntary like laughing or crying is different to clapping your hands together and whooping like a seal in heat.

Again, involuntary reactions are completely fine. So if you literally can't control your urge to clap and whoop, then you're okay. You're also probably 5 years old.
Have you never been to an event with a crowd like a sports game or concert? Do you just sit there silently as the people around you clap or cheer or whatever?

Going to a big movie with a crowd on opening night is a social event; you don't do that if you just want to watch the movie. You do it to experience it with the crowd

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, my favorite recorded theatre "reaction" somehow was the oral history of the opening night of The Phantom Menace mixed in with the actual footage of people lining up all the way to the opening crawl smash.

And how the crowds went from a high sense of elation to "oh no..."

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have you never been to an event with a crowd like a sports game or concert? Do you just sit there silently as the people around you clap or cheer or whatever.

Going to a big movie with a crowd on opening night is a social event; you don't do that if you just want to watch the movie. You do it to experience with the crowd

Imagine getting in line on opening night with hundreds of superfans, about a dozen of them in full fucking costume, because you want a "cinema experience" lmao okay

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people upset by people getting excited about a movie is baffling. Just don't go the theater and wait for it come out at home if you don't want to deal with people expressing themselves.
This is an incredibly obnoxious opinion, because obviously in most countries, this behaviour isn't tolerated. Hell, it isn't tolerated in a lot of the better cinema chains as well in the US, like the Arclight.

That you're arguing that people who think obnoxious - but most of all, inconsiderate behaviour, shouldn't be tolerated, should just stay home and miss out on the cinema experience is pretty shitty.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome. I've never seen any of those movies, don't really go to the movies very often, but I think it's cool people react that way.

People getting upset about it need to relax. It's an action movie of super heroes fighting super villains, if someone gets excited during an entrance of their favorite hero, in a scene that is insanely loud to begin with, big deal. When I go to the movies, I don't usually cry, get excited, laugh hysterically or show a lot of emotion it's just not me, but if other people do then let them enjoy it. If it bothers me if people cry at a sad movie or cheer during an action movie, I can watch the movie at home or at any other time when there aren't likely to be a lot of people in the theatre.

This is a community where people stood up and hollared and lost their hats at a fucking E3 tech conference when a company unveiled that they'd be releasing a sequel to Shenmue someday. But, apparently, getting excited when the THOR GOD OF THUNDER appears in a movie called GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is bad form. I didn't stand up and scream when shenmue 3 got unveiled, but other people did, and whatever, if that's how they want to enjoy a tech conference, who am I to yuck on someone else's yum.

Also, different cultures are different. The take that someone else's culture offends you because they're different from your own is an ignorant take. What might be acceptable somewhere might not be acceptable somewhere else, and vice versa, you don't have to be a cultural supremacist just because something isn't common where you're from but might be common elsewhere or among different people.

Last edited:

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People who are like "who are you cheering for, Thor can't hear you"

Of fuckin course not. Joy is compounded when you know that people around you are just as psyched. When other people are happy it adds to our own happiness. IT's why we experience things in crowds at all. When a miracle grand slam happens at a baseball game you are not only cheering to say good job, you are cheering because something cool as hell just happened.

Sure, sometimes you miss the start of a quip or something. But that movie will always exist, you can go back and get it later. The shared hype of an opening night for the first time? That's finite.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

BimmyLee

Oct 30, 2017
Good lord, some of the posts in here...

I'd been hoping, since watching the first Raimi Spider-Man, that somehow some studio would some day make a giant ass superhero team up movie and we fucking got it. Of course I'm gonna be hype as hell when the cool shit happens.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Having fun at movies will always baffle here on ERA
Seriously wasn't there a thread where people were complaining about people cheering and clapping when Cap came on screen.

This scene with Thor was like the most hype thing in the whole movie because it showed how one guy can just turn the tide despite all these other super heroes being around. It was insane.

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
I don't do it myself bit I don't mind people that do and let's be honest their are only a handful of superhero moments that can generate that sort of Buzz and I'd put it in my top 5 all time greatest superhero moments in film.

Nothing tops Superman for me though when he flies up and saves Lois then grabs the chopper with John Williams theme blasting.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is an incredibly obnoxious opinion, because obviously in most countries, this behaviour isn't tolerated. Hell, it isn't tolerated in a lot of the better cinema chains as well in the US, like the Arclight.

That you're arguing that people who think obnoxious - but most of all, inconsiderate behaviour, shouldn't be tolerated, should just stay home and miss out on the cinema experience is pretty shitty.

Going to Avengers opening night and high fiving the stranger next to you when Cap shows up at the train stating IS THE CINEMA EXPERIENCE my dude.

Y'all really rubbing elbows with super-nerds on opening night thinking it will be a soothing and normal environment? Just complaining cause you want to complain lol

It's a god-damn comic book movie not some boring oscar bait.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'll be the "no fun allowed" guy, I hate this sort of thing. Years of Star Wars, superhero and horror films have made me loathe audience reactions, it can outright ruin the film for me. I don't need to know your Wikipedia level insight on basic plot developments as you explain it to your friends aloud, I don't need you to cheer for Chris Hemsworth as if he's in the auditorium and you're giving him a standing ovation, save that stuff for your house. I don't pay $15+ to watch and listen to the audience participate, I have two/three hours set aside to watch the movie, not hear your damn howler monkey impression or have you explain shit to the people around you. It's rude, knock it off.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a false equivalency. Not remotely. I am showing you that the things some people find fun can be unpleasant to others.

Cheering in a theater is always rude even if you only do it for a second. Being excited at an exciting moment is fine. You don't need to hoot and holler because you're excited. Laughter is much harder to hide and I think we all expect people to laugh at funny parts in movies. Everyone who's not 15 should be well aware that screaming during a movie because you think it's cool is not acceptable.

This is getting stupid. What is and isn't considered rude is based upon the societal norms and standards of where you are at.

It's like people on this forum don't understand how society works and think if they disapprove of others enough they're doing something productive.

Your piss analogy absolutely doesn't hold up because that's considered rude both where you are at and where the person you quoted is at.

Some locations (notice this is granular enough to even be theater specific) find noise during the movie rude and unacceptable. Other locations do not and as a result it is okay to react loudly (see posted video in OP).

I personally would hate to go see a movie where everyone is yelling. I'm not going to sit here and say no one in the entire world is allowed to make noise at any theater in the world. The same way, I wouldn't say it's okay to make noise at every theater. It's situationally dependent.

Last edited:

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
It may be the single most hyped moment I've ever seen and the only other time I heard a crowd that excited ,outside of Cap at the train station was this:

This shit sounded like the Philly Special at Chikie and Pete's

Being in the UK reactions are a lot more reserved here but the biggest exception I've ever been a part of was that "Always Angry" moment. That got a massive reaction.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Again, I enjoy the opening weekend experience as well. Involuntary reactions are fine. Laughing, screaming at jump scares, crying, whatever. I completely get the communal experience of going on a journey in a shared space.

But it's when you decide (ie: not involuntary) to make yourself heard, that it becomes a problem. A problem where you put your selfish ego ahead of the consideration of other paying patrons around you.

And you guys can act like I'm a stick in the mud all you want, but in every country outside of the US, you guys are the outliers.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I live in the UK and barely anyone reacts at anything. But I went at midnight for Infinity War and during that Thor part was bloody insane, everyone cheering and clapping like mad. By far the greatest cinema moment of my life, not even close.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would be so pissed if people started yelling during a movie

Also it's just Thor, who cares. You saw him just a few scenes ago, it's not like you should be surprised he's still in the movie.

Nov 30, 2017
I never experienced any other movie like this movie in the theatres. That was quite something I tell you. I'm from Canada.

Also funny hearing Thanos speak Hindi lol

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Again, I enjoy the opening weekend experience as well. Involuntary reactions are fine. Laughing, screaming at jump scares, crying, whatever. I completely get the communal experience of going on a journey in a shared space.

But it's when you decide (ie: not involuntary) to make yourself heard, that it becomes a problem. A problem where you put your selfish ego ahead of the consideration of other paying patrons around you.

And you guys can act like I'm a stick in the mud all you want, but in every country outside of the US, you guys are the outliers.

Man you don't get to decide what's voluntary and involuntary for people, especially a group of marks.

I'm proud of the US if we're able to express ourselves like this. *salute*

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I would be so pissed if people started yelling during a movie

Also it's just fucking Thor, who cares. You've seen him in several movies by now. You even saw him just a few scenes ago, it's not like you should be surprised he's still in the movie.
Think some of you guys are being deliberately obtuse about this. Like, obviously nobody was cheering because they just remembered Thor was in the movie.