• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I just had to do it...

Gaul-Warriors.png

now, if only Tecmo had the same urge of getting that license :p
Yes. This must happen. It's just the perfect franchise for a Musou game.

One is about a colorful cast of characters beating up legions of similar enemies using huge attacks tailored to the personality of each character... and so is the other.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if the Spectrum game that came out (Asterix and the Magic Cauldron, formally) is the same as the game that appeared on other platforms at a similar time:

q4q32Ou.gif

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Les gau ... les gau-gau .... Les Gauloiiiiis!

Love me some Astérix, great thread OP. Actually only ever played the old arcade beat'em up waaaay back when. Big fan of the BDs and the movies. Really h ave fond memories of reading them and watching them with my mother.

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Les gau ... les gau-gau .... Les Gauloiiiiis!

Love me some Astérix, great thread OP. Actually only ever played the old arcade beat'em up waaaay back when. Big fan of the BDs and the movies. Really h ave fond memories of reading them and watching them with my mother.
"Ils sont fous ces romains!"

I have a soft spot for the Asterix arcade game, and XXL2 was a fun beat 'em up/platformer. I do need to check out the other games that you have listed, OP.
Glad all you've been so positive about the subject! I was a bit uneasy since XXL 3 wasn't even properly discussed at Era before;

I blindly recommend any of the Master System games, the SNES titles and Bash them All on GBA! Of course, I can't say much more on the XXL games that everyone already said, they're all good;

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
That GBA game is a work of pure magic. It deserves more acknowledgement.

And I've never thought about how many games this IP got—that's quite the stable and a new game could find an audience I'm sure.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the asterix books growing up. I wasnt aware the franchise had so many games :O
And i now want an Asterix warriors game that will never happen

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I blindly recommend any of the Master System games, the SNES titles and Bash them All on GBA!

I'm not sure I'd recommend any of them--the two Sega-made ones are fine, the one made by Core Design, based on their Mega Drive game, isn't so great... but I'm not a big enough fan to remember which is which.

hergipotter

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for making an Asterix thread, OP!
I played this one A LOT. One of the first games on the system to come in Spanish :) I think it's a port of the snes game looking at the screens?

Hah, that's the one I played as a kid. I think I never finished it, though. Was quite tough for me at the time if I remember correctly.
Although I'm a big fan of the comics and the old cartoon movies I never played any other Asterix game I think.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Thats an awesome post OP. I have only played the Arcade game but it's brilliant. Absolutely love the books.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Asterix and the Great Rescue for the Mega Drive was one of those games I knew was terrible, but kept playing it because it was from a license I enjoyed immensely and my parents already bought it. Oh, the pain.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
My personal favorite is this one:

NTSC%2B392x450.png

This was a legit party game. Like, one of the best I have ever played. Some of the mini games could have been separate big releases and I'd still have played them for hours like Roman camp demolition, Catapult race and wild boar hunting.

Only downside was lack of characters, there were only 4. I wish there were more, crazy characters is nothing Asterix series is short of. Vitalstatix, Unhygenix, Goudrix, Edifis, Ekonomikrizis, Boneywasawarriorwayayix, pirates, Normans...
I still pkay this on ps3 every now and then. this game was gold

at the very least, we need some kind of pc mod to enable 4 players mode

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Asterix was huge in the UK if I'm not mistaken for a comic book series. I remember reading stuff like Asterix and the Golden Sickle and Asterix in Belgium. Anyone ever been to Parc Asterix out in France because supposedly that's a great theme park.

Anyway, that Konami beat em up always mystified me because Konami took a relatively obscure IP for a beat em up unlike TMNT/Simpsons/X-Men. Asterix is all about two insanely powerful Gaul warriors beating the shit out of Roman mooks. It's a great fit.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Asterix was huge in the UK if I'm not mistaken for a comic book series. I remember reading stuff like Asterix and the Golden Sickle and Asterix in Belgium. Anyone ever been to Parc Asterix out in France because supposedly that's a great theme park.

I have been but it was shortly after it opened and I was very young. I'd quite like to go back; all I really remember was a water ride.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Very nice OP! Asterix was huge here in Italy and I've always loved its design. I had the Sega game and Gameboy one about olympic games. Both crazy hard at times.

Aurelioking

Oct 28, 2017
When i was a kid i used to play a lot of Rayman 3 on the PS2 so when the Rayman themed roman showed up in Las Vegum i flipped my shit.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Astérix has always been a lesser favorite of the big franco-belgian comics for me. (points to avatar *cough*) Especially after Goscinny's death, there were a looot of duds and bad writing. Still have some amount of nostalgic fondness for it though.

I've played a ton of the two game boy games by Infogrames back in the day. They weren't great per se, but good enough for me as a kid.

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
I played a lot of those as a kid (especially the Master System and SNES ones), but my real jam was Caesar's Challenge ("Die grosse Reise" in German) for PC (I guess it was on CDi, too), a edutainment board/minigame kinda deal. Holy shit ultimate nostalgia flash by just googling these pics.
s-l1000o3j1i.jpg

hqdefaultlekjt.jpg

76419kkkzm.jpg

764205fkw7.jpg

Edit: Apparently there was a (another?) Beat 'em Up also called Caesar's Challenge? This shit ain't easy lol

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Asterix was huge in Italy up until the mid-90s, a true pillar of European comics. Like many French comic productions it's basically unsellable in the US, and even more so in current times (like Tintin), because half if not more of Asterix's stories are heavily based on sterotypes about just any people and country a Gaul could possibly visit at the time.

While the comics are great (if you don't find them offensive) and I have a complete collection of them, I don't remember ever playing an Asterix game.
That Konami beat-em-up looks incredible.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
It's so weird seeing a successful series that's pretty much non-existent in my region (US). Even weirder, licensed games that seem to be generally pretty good. Some of these are really impressive!

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Caesar's Challenge, is not a good game. It's a PC board game, but I played a lot of it with my friends way back when. Some of the mini games were a lot of fun. The one with Obelix punching Romans or the colouring one. Worth a look see on DOS Box or on a CD-I.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
When I was a kid back in Haiti, Asterix was huge. Sadly we hardly got any of the games as we got our comics from France but our games from NA. I remember only playing a gamegear Asterix game and having fun with it

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I'm glad people still got a bunch of other games to share; --of course other titles popped up during my search for screenshots and what not, but I think I could end writing the little blurbs better about what I personally have a story with xD

I'm not sure I'd recommend any of them--the two Sega-made ones are fine, the one made by Core Design, based on their Mega Drive game, isn't so great... but I'm not a big enough fan to remember which is which.
Absolutely, the first one and Secret Mission are the best ones, but 8-bit Great Rescue isn't as terrible as the Genesis version, I can assure. At least I remember having a better time with that.. And as I mentioned, they only share name and the little plot, but they are two distinct games.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Asterix & Obelix SNES was amazing, played it all the damn time. I had no idea it got a GBA remake, gotta try that.

Also yes, I am anticipating the current game as well. Love Asterix!

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
I'm gonna see if I can convince Alberto to sign up here and post. He did the music and graphics as well as some of the game design for the Asterix NES and Game Boy games, as well as the music on Asterix and Obelix on SNES and Paf Them All on GBA.

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I'm gonna see if I can convince Alberto to sign up here and post. He did the music and graphics as well as some of the game design for the Asterix NES and Game Boy games, as well as the music on Asterix and Obelix on SNES and Paf Them All on GBA.
That actually would be awesome! It would be great to have some shared stories from someone that were involved with these games and another Astérix fan onboard! xD

Also the story behind the NES game, which apparently was done but cancelled in the end?

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
That actually would be awesome! It would be great to have some shared stories from someone that were involved with these games and another Astérix fan onboard! xD

Also the story behind the NES game, which apparently was done but cancelled in the end?
It was released EU only, but the North American release was to be published by Electro Brain who essentially focused on bringing European made games to the North American market. The NTSC version was ultimately canceled due to lack of awareness of the franchise in NA, and at the time there was also a cancelation of some of the comics being made available there so this also played into the decision.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
They gave away a demo for Mega Madness in cereal boxes in the UK, proper nostalgic for that eating content mini game

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
It was released EU only, but the North American release was to be published by Electro Brain who essentially focused on bringing European made games to the North American market. The NTSC version was ultimately canceled due to lack of awareness of the franchise in NA, and at the time there was also a cancelation of some of the comics being made available there so this also played into the decision.
Interesting, .. but not surprising about the reasoning on the cancellation in the US, especially at the time (though I never knew about other Asterix media suffering the same fate).

I actually thought the game was never released in any territory. I'm more familiar with the SNES version which, despite being European, was very common in rental stores where I lived in Brazil.

They gave away a demo for Mega Madness in cereal boxes in the UK, proper nostalgic for that eating content mini game
seems like all the PS1 games were also on PC, including the one based on the first live action movie.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know about the other versions but the Switch port of XXL2 is disappointing. It has a lot of bugs and performance issues. The fire punches mechanic for example, straight up doesn't work.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading Asterix and watching the cartoons as a kid, as the comic was pretty huge in Norway. I still have the first Master System game, and it's a damn fine platformer that still holds up today. Definitely recommended.

Picked up the PS4 version of XXL2, and it's... OK, I guess. Nothing amazing, but not a bad game by any means. Worth picking up for cheap.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Still own the 1st one for Master System, it was my favorite game after Sonic back then. It also helps that i grew up with Asterix books, so when i played the game i was already familiar with all the characters.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
CyberWolfJV what a lovely thread. I came across it as I did an Asterix search this afternoon.

I was searching to see if there's anything about the XXL Trilogy is hitting next month in Europe and came across this beauty of a thread.

I read the comics growing up and still own a lot of them (except for the ones from recent years). I even have duplicates via omnibus editions. Also have a DVD collection of the cartoons.

My first video game experience with Asterix was the game called Asterix on the OG GameBoy. I still have it!

This thread has inspired my to go hunting for some of the older games, though. Gonna be doing some eBaying.

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
CyberWolfJV what a lovely thread. I came across it as I did an Asterix search this afternoon.

I was searching to see if there's anything about the XXL Trilogy is hitting next month in Europe and came across this beauty of a thread.

I read the comics growing up and still own a lot of them (except for the ones from recent years). I even have duplicates via omnibus editions. Also have a DVD collection of the cartoons.

My first video game experience with Asterix was the game called Asterix on the OG GameBoy. I still have it!

This thread has inspired my to go hunting for some of the older games, though. Gonna be doing some eBaying.
Hey! Nice to read another story on Astérix legacy! As I said, I watched cartoons and read the comics, but the constant presence of the character on games, always make me associate his image to gaming media more!

It seems XXL 3 wasn't that well recieved in the end.. I still want to check it out, though (couldn't get at the time of release); But we did get the XXL 1 Remake recently which seems to knock out the park (and was released digital internationally!). Microids also announced a physical triple pack with the whole trilogy:

CJTudfB.jpg

Hope you find some of the older games, they shouldn't cost much these days! I will always be biased on the Master System titles though, and I highly recommend!

Last edited:

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017

The Master System game was developped by Sega and is pretty great.

The Konami arcade game was a solid brawler.

The Infogrames games were pretty tough but were decent and had fantastic OSTs :

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Hey! Nice to read another story on Astérix legacy! As I said, I watched cartoons and read the comics, but the constant presence of the character on games, always make me associate his image to gaming media more!

It seems XXL 3 wasn't that well recieved in the end.. I still want to check it out, though (couldn't get at the time of release); But we did get the XXL 1 Remake recently which seems to knock out the park (and was released digital internationally!). Microids also announced a physical triple pack with the whole trilogy:

CJTudfB.jpg

Hope you find some of the older games, they shouldn't cost much these days! I will always be biased on the Master System titles though, and I highly recommend!
I'm planning to pick up the trilogy cart when it launches next month. I'm glad these older games aren't super expensive or sought after. I'll have to get the XXL GBA game too...it doesn't look like a GBA game!
The Master System game was developped by Sega and is pretty great.

The Konami arcade game was a solid brawler.

The Infogrames games were pretty tough but were decent and had fantastic OSTs :
I think the OG GameBoy game was by Infogrames too. I feel like Infogrames either turned into or got bought by Ubisoft...or maybe I have that wrong.

It's a shame the Konami game is stuck on arcade - I'd have loved to have tried it based on what you guys have said.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I love reading Asterix as a kid - the only game I played was the NA Genesis game (Asterix and the Great Rescue). I distinctly remember the controls being annoying but the sound effects and music were awesome!

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
I need to get XXL 1&2 as soon as they hit a lower price(well, 2 did already but I'm torn between switch and ps4). had a blast with xxl2 back then and I loved how it referenced games even beyond the usual pacman/mario

my secret favourite pne will always be Mega madness though. best minigame collection ever

how are the switch versions of XXL 1&2? 60 fps?

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I need to get XXL 1&2 as soon as they hit a lower price(well, 2 did already but I'm torn between switch and ps4). had a blast with xxl2 back then and I loved how it referenced games even beyond the usual pacman/mario

my secret favourite pne will always be Mega madness though. best minigame collection ever

how are the switch versions of XXL 1&2? 60 fps?
Not sure about the FPS but if you're open to buying digital, I'm sure at least one of the XXL games has been on sale on the cheap and will like be on sale again.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017

CJTudfB.jpg

I really like the XXL 3 demo on Switch. Did anyone here buy it? I'm certainly interested.