• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will they have?

• New game.

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • F-ZERO collection.

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • F-ZERO GX remaster.

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • You'll get one official drawing on Twitter and like it.

Votes: 98 27.4%
  • Nothing, OP. It's dead.

Votes: 231 64.5%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
220px-KDCEnglishBoxart1.jpg
61oxzPhd4KL._SL1075_.jpg
81xyaZP6LQL._SL1500_.jpg

Nintendo, of all companies, likes to celebrate the anniversaries of their franchises with new games or collections. Pictured above are Kirby's Dream Collection for his 20th annviersary, Super Mario All Stars Wii for Mario's 25th anniversary, New Super Luigi's U for Luigi's 30th anniversary and Super Mario Maker which featured some anniversary themed things as well. We also know due to rumors that they're planning on a Mario and Zelda 35th anniversary collections or something for the Switch, which got me thinking... maybe there's a chance of Captain Falcon showing up again?

It's been 17 years since the release of F-ZERO GX with the franchise's only showing very faint signs of life in the form of Smash stages and Mario Kart tracks, but I think if they're ever going to revive the IP, the 30th anniversary this year is the most likely place for it to happen. Some reasons why:

• As mentioned above, Nintendo is very likely working on collections for Mario and Zelda's anniversary. Sure, you can argue that they're bigger IPs than F-ZERO and you'd be right, but at least it's not unprecedented of them to celebrate anniversaries this way.
  • With Mario Kart 9 likely not showing up until the next console, Nintendo has essentially a "free" slot for a racing game since they didn't have to do much for MK8D. A new F-ZERO wouldn't eat into MK8D's sales, instead capturing the AG-Racing fanbase that's desperate for new games to enjoy.
  • While GX's sales can be used as an argument against the IP coming back, it's also not unprecedented for series to find much bigger success on Switch than on previous consoles. There's a whole generation of Nintendo fans that have been exposed to the IP in Smash / MK, SNES Mini, Switch Online, etc. and that they'd likely love to give it a shot.
  • This happened:
11743_1_5ef0d9c826dd7.jpg

Why give him the spotlight if there's nothing on the pipeline, huh?​

So, personally, I think expecting some sort of return for the franchise is not out of the cards. I don't really expect a new game to be honest, as the series should have to prove itself worth reviving first, but a collection or remaster isn't out of the cards, imo. GX is already a beautiful game on emulators, they could probably get away with just an upres, some tweaking to the controls so it works on digital triggers and maybe online if they're feeling brave. What do you think?

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
My favorite racing series. X and GX still get loads of play to this day. Enjoyed GP Legend and Climax.

Edit: We ain't getting nothin' :(

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, not at all. The only anniversaries Nintendo cares about are Mario and Zelda. Kirby, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem seem like separate deals celebrated by their particular companies.

For example, DKC's 25th anniversary was last year and it got nothing, the original game wasn't even on NSO then.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I don't think they really celebrate their franchises anniversaries. Mostly Mario and Zelda, really

Edit: ^ what the user above me said

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
An enthusiastic intern brought it up to a higher up & they went "really? what's an F-Zero?"

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
To celebrate they'll wipe every reference to the franchise from their servers and buy back every second hand copy of all entries and shoot them into the sun

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
A post on Twitter from NoA after someone at Nintendo sees this thread and remembers the anniversary.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
30 year anniversary, and it's been dead for over half of that time now. I'll be surprised if they even mention it.

Supaidaman

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
At most is getting a shout-out at twitter and MAYBE an spirit thingy on Smash Ultimate.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
With all these successful remaster hitting the market lately, this is the best time there ever was for a GX HD remaster by Nintendo.
They always argued over the last few year that they couldn't imagine a fresh gimmick for the series to bring it back into the spotlight.

With a remaster, they won't need that. They just have to deliver something that's up to the standards of Crash, Spyro, Tony Hawk etc.
I believe there's a market for this. The genre didn't have a AA or AAA title for ages since Sony shut down Wipeout.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
You will get a F-Zero themed spirit board event for Smash Ultimate and that's a best case scenario otherwise, absolutely nothing.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Reality : not even a single tweet. Captain Falcon seiyu coming back to voice Falcon eating ramens is as much you'll get.

In my dreams : fuck yeah they're doing a big ass new game, made by EPD 9, assisted by Bandai Namco (like for Mario Kart 8 and ARMS)

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why would the sales of F-Zero GX count against it? Apparently it sold reasonably well?

That being said, F-Zero is one of my favorite franchises of all time but Nintendo just doesn't seem interested in it like others. Yeah we've heard reports that in the Wii U days they wanted a dev to make a game for it but they refused, but it always seems like they want some new gimmick with it when it's not necessary at all.

Give the franchise online, make a comprehensible track editor available for it and bring back death race. That's pretty much all you need as long as you keep the 60fps.

Nintendo would rather rehash mediocre franchises like StarFox for the fifth remake in a row rather than make a new F-Zero game with a logical mode like online play.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Did you know Captain Falcon from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has his own video game series? Well it just turn 30 years old today!"

-Nintendo Twitter

if even this

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At best you'll get a Twitter post telling you to play the SNES game on NSO. That's it.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: Captain Falcon has as many appearances in Smash as he does F-Zero.

If you count Wii U and 3DS separately like Nintendo/Sakurai did internally, he's in more Smash games than F-Zero games.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I went to Nintendo's offices and asked them what they were going to do for F-Zero' birthday, nobody answered, it was like I was in mute city.