• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I've been seeing this nonstop and it's been driving me crazy.

Disclaimer: I totally get and appreciate the message about inclusivity.

The adaptive controller is an awesome thing, but...

wtf is he playing? It tells me nothing. Halo? Jet Set Radio Future?

Ikaruga? (No wonder they're so impressed at the end. )

I feel like it's begging to have some gameplay footage edited in.

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I've been seeing this nonstop and it's been driving me crazy.

Disclaimer: I totally get and appreciate the message, and the adaptive controller is an awesome thing, but...

wtf is he playing? It tells me nothing. Halo? Jet Set Radio Future?

Ikaruga? (No wonder they're so impressed at the end. )

I feel like it's begging to have some gameplay footage edited in.

He can be playing anything and that's the beauty of it.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It's not about the game he's playing...so there's no need to know what he's playing.

Iyagovos

Verified
Jan 18, 2018
I don't think the game is important, and would make the ad more focused on the game than the message that it's trying to send, as well as away from the product, which is the Adaptive Controller.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It does not matter what he is playing, it's just that he is playing with everyone else.

And it's probably Dark Souls.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's advertising the adaptive controller, and a wholesome message of inclusivity. Slapping "HALO 5: GUARDIANS RATED T FOR TEEN" would insanely cheapen any goodwill the commercial evokes. It would be so tasteless.

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
Cities: Skylines and he just hit 100k

Source: me, as I also flossed upon hitting this milestone.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What a cute commercial. Doesn't really matter what he's playing I think, the point is that he can play whatever he wants with the accessible controller.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would say probably some kinda classic arcade shmup. He just beat the hardest difficulty mode with no deaths or something like that.

Oct 27, 2017
It's about being inclusive. How on earth did you miss that?

A legit complaint would be the kid doing that moronic dance and making the disabled child's accomplishment all about him. Someone should have booted him out the window.

Why are you sticking around the TV long enough to watch the same commercial 20 times is probably the question you should be asking.

That's about how many times the ad runs during a 3 hour football game.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
It's advertising the adaptive controller, and a wholesome message of inclusivity. Slapping "HALO 5: GUARDIANS RATED T FOR TEEN" would insanely cheapen any goodwill the commercial evokes. It would be so tasteless.

Using it to promote EDF would be pretty great though. Kids love killing giant bugs!

It's about being inclusive. How on earth did you miss that?
I didn't? That's the whole point of the disclaimer.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This commercial shows up a ton for me as well, but I absolutely love it. Such a positive vibe and it highlights a great product.

Not sure if it was intended this way, but OP sounds a bit like an asshole with the way things are worded right now. Like it shouldn't be exciting that this kid can play games in general thanks to that controller. I got serious vibes of "Well if it was just game X then wtf are these kids excited about anyway?"

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
This commercial shows up a ton for me as well, but I absolutely love it. Such a positive vibe and it highlights a great product.

Not sure if it was intended this way, but OP sounds a bit like an asshole with the way things are worded right now. Like it shouldn't be exciting that this kid can play games in general thanks to that controller. I got serious vibes of "Well if it was just game X then wtf are these kids excited about anyway?"

It's definitely not my intent, it's just something I wonder every time I see the commercial.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the last thing you want to do is actually advertise a game in an ad like this.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The point is that he can be playing anything. It's not about what you play, it's about loving what you're playing. This isn't a commercial for Fortnite or Halo or Gears of War. It's a commercial about sharing in the love of play because gaming is for everyone.

You're looking for something you don't need. Just jump in, my dude.

MXAGhost

Nov 3, 2017
Sears Tower | Earth 616
I believe there is a longer ad that was just for TV that shows he is playing Fortnite. Hence the dancing after he gets his VR.

It's a good ad showing that everyone can play video games now no matter your limitations in life.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I know. But yet you still don't get it. The game is irrelevant.
I would say not only is it irrelevant, the fact that it is irrelevant is relevant, because the kid is able play anything now thanks to that controller.

The important selling point is that you can play whatever game you wanted now, not that you can now play Halo 5 or whatever. Putting in a specific game would take away from the message of the commercial, I feel.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
This ad is about video games being for everyone, and that you can buy the controller for XBOX one (and PC maybe?). I can not find anything to complain about.

About the game it is probably some arcade space shooter

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose it is up to us to figure it out, although I refuse to believe it was fortnite. Not to say the kid couldn't be playing Fortnite, but really that dumb dance at the end would leave some to think it is because "OH! It's the dance from Fortnite!" Really if the kid wasn't doing that dance, we could have an easier time putting the claim in that it could have been any dance. As for what the game could have been... who knows. Honestly, I'm having a harder time trying to figure out that many kid friendly games on the Xbox One at the moment and I doubt that Microsoft would want to imply that kids would be gathering around because the kid in the wheelchair just chainsaw'd a guy down the middle in Gears of War (even if it would be funny).

Still, the commercial itself is the adaptive controller, not the game itself.