• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Sauce: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/Colorful-Column

When we shared the "Monarch" armor render in our last update, we also saw some feedback around it looking "like plastic" or being "too clean." While we are very excited about the return to a more classic Halo art-style, we do want to acknowledge that the nature of these work-in-progress renders is such that they aren't completely representing the base material as shown in-game with 'real' lighting. Additionally, as you can see with Red Shift above, the overall look will also depend on the design style of each specific armor coating.

hi_mark_vii_red_shift_waypoint-362df36003ce472e9a9014409a02f00a.jpg

hi_azure_warthog_vehicle_coating_waypoint-4e82e8df21f04bbe982229df206e4914.jpg

That redshift armor coating definitely has that awesome, dirty-metal texture similar to Reach.

Happy they know what a lot of the community didn't like about the armors overall look, although, I have stated that Halo 5's initial armor renders looked nothing like in-game armors either, nice to see them respond to it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VinFTW

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, can a mod edit my title to change "weapon coatings" to "vehicle coatings".

I've failed you Era.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Yeah, imma need the beta ASAP.

Oh no they are going the Destiny shader system for armour coloration. They are going to monetize the fuck out of this game now that its F2P huh?

Last edited:

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Those honestly still look like plastic lol, but my takeaway from this is that there will be armor coatings with different material properties ala Anthem? If so, awesome!

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
That armour looks so good. Some much needed good old fashioned wear and tear.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It should be noted that coatings are taking the place of traditional primary and secondary colors.

We now have Destiny shaders.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Damn it looks like better Reach. Reach is like the epitome of the Halo artstyle imo so that's good to see.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It's kind of cool but I really hope there'll be an option to disable seeing cosmetics on other players for Multiplayer matches to avoid visually distracting or non-color blind friendly set-ups.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A little disappointed that they're basically going with the destiny shader system, but the armor looks great! Classic Halo art style was the right choice!

SleazyHyena

Oct 27, 2017
In regards to Halo 5's customization unlocks, I already hated having emblems thrown into the loot box pool, slowing down an already slow armor unlock system. So now assuming in infinite, there's armor pieces, weapon skins, vehicle skins, armor "coatings" and lord knows what else, the MP is gonna be an unlock grind-fest and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
So they now have 7 layers of shaders they can apply to armor, weapons, and vehicles.

So why the fuck are they all tied to one "coating" you have to unlock? That's not increasing options in customization.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, it looks weird? Maybe I need to see it in an environment with lighting or something.

Aug 30, 2020
hard to judge without proper context (lighting, scenery) but this still looks like plastic ?

*wisely* Wax paper.

But for real, there isn't much specularity going on, no glints of metal that you see on real metal, or even painted metal. So that's why it doesn't look metallic. Personally when I see something like this I just assume their engine isn't set up to allow such materials, the specularity introduces too much aliasing, or their lighting engine is really simple. There's still a lot of games that don't have great materials.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm not concerned about the "sheen" of the renders. The Master Chief render before the July showcase had that same sheen, and then the materials on the MC model shown a couple weeks later in the actual game looked a million times better.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Edit: Damn it, why did I take the time to share my thoughts no one cares about lol. Beaten by seconds!!!

Can somebody post the "plastic" shot?
3744755-haloinfiniteskin.jpg

To me the difference isn't the material itself (which, certainly plays a role), but the lack of damage or dirt or anything that breaks up these even blocks. It almost reminds me of like cell shading, because it's so clean. In the render from today, it looks more metallic (to me, I guess) because there's texture to those pieces.

Either way, I think the render from today looks great. I liked the last one too, but it did feel a bit too cartoony (though looking at it again now, I don't feel as much that way as I did when I first saw it a couple weeks ago). The vehicle definitely looks a bit plasticky still (but again, mostly in the colored parts that aren't as broken up by other colors as the metallic parts with dirt).

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks good but I didn't actually mind the plastic look as long as the armour designs are on point.

The warthog looks very toy like though.

Last edited:

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I like it a lot. The etchings definitely remind me of reach, and I love the glossy, plasticy look of the monarch skin. It shows a variety in the shaders, and hopefully they have a lot of flexibility and unlockables.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Coloration, along with materials and patterns, will now be baked into the coating, taking the place of the primary/secondary armor color options found in prior games. While we understand that many players are fond of the previous color system, we're very excited about the breadth and scope of armor, weapon, and vehicle customization options that will be available in Halo Infinite because of the coating system. Additionally, players should expect more robust per-piece armor customization choices akin to what was available in Halo: Reach vs. what was offered in Halo 5: Guardians. And, as we expand our customization capabilities with armor geometry, materials, colors, and textures, it's important to the team that players are given even more opportunities to express themselves within the game itself (more on that later!).
Sounds like it's going to be similar to Destiny's armor shader options.

Not a fan of the idea of having less color customization options that may be locked behind microtransactions/battle pass progression.

I'd like to know what options they'll give you to start out with.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I like the modelez/ Cadbury's purple guy!
I'd buy a promo pack for that.

It has a really clean and chunky look they reminds me of Halo 3

But also, the armour and paint are made from non existent sci fi Materials for which we have no base reference (except a chocolate bar wrapper on which it's based), buy also that armour had to be brand new at some point!

Last edited:

N1corex

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 7, 2020
I love the weathered effect. give me more metal. choice is really the best way forward.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
People really love to hate on 343i, right? It looks pretty great, and it'll probably look even better when we see it in the game.

Femme Man

Oct 28, 2017
As soon as they address the texture material criticisms (which were silly to begin with) they release the piece of information on how color customization is now determined by "coatings" just like Destiny's shader system. So you can't choose what color combos you like with each material, texture, etc.

Why. Like why remove a staple of customization that's been in the franchise since CE?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
As soon as they address the texture material criticisms (which were silly to begin with) they release the piece of information on how color customization is now determined by "coatings" just like Destiny's shader system.

Why. Like why remove a staple of customization that's been in the franchise since CE?

Because 343.

Oct 30, 2017
My expectations have certainly been tempered. The art style is just such an odd shift from the previous titles. We'll see I suppose.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow it is Destiny Shaders huh. How's this work out with with RvB? Do they do the color ranges?