• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
E3-Cancelled.jpg

While E3 is often spoken of as a out-dated event (and in many ways they're right). I think most here have this week so ingrained as part of their hobby, that the loss of the show definitely feels a bit odd. That isn't to say E3 was always good (don't even get me started on the leaked press details), but there was definitely a bit of magic in the air when the show came around. Whether it was numerous industry people meeting together in CA or fans taking days off to make sure they didn't miss any of the conferences. After-all, it was the week where we'd typically see news from every major publisher/developer we were interested in all at once.

Now, everything is going digital (for good reason) and game news is being spread out throughout the course of the summer. Things get especially interesting due to this being the year of a new console gen. If there was ever a apt time to use "The Future is now, old Man" quote from Malcolm in the Middle, now would be the time. As who knows what the future of E3 is at this point as Devs/Pubs compare prior years to whatever online stuff they plan throughout the summer.

So with all of that said, I wanted to make this thread to talk about E3 in general.
Whether it be good riddance, reminiscing on old moments, or talking about what the future holds.

B563CF0C6710CB683308E4F290E9952EB47A172F

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
It feels empty without E3. It was a June tradition. Obviously there's a good reason for it, but it's still sad.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I honestly don't mind the fact that E3 isn't here. The lack of announcements is not necessarily because of the lack of E3, but because those announcements, which existed regardless of E3, also got delayed for other reasons.

Dec 8, 2018
In these very unusual times it would have been nice to have a couple of days were you constantly get bombarded with information to take my mind of other things once in a while. However if things get back to normal I don't think I would miss it particularly much.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Glad it's gone. While it was good in ways the online arguments and console wars being less more than makes up for it being gone.

My social media feeds aren't filled with whining/fighting

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The peril of COVID-19 already dampened any importance I held for E3, even before the show was officially cancelled in response.

The current police protests have made that mental distance even further.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Like others have said of course it wasn't meant to be this year. But even so I miss E3 and really hope it is back next year.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I really could have used E3 this year. I fully understand and applaud the cancellation, but I really could have.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
My first memory of E3 was hearing about the "booth babe" controversy and wondering why video games were being presented like that and my last was the ESA doxxing journalists and trying to refocus the event around twitch influencers so I'm not going to pretend it was a magical event that I'll sorely miss but it had some great and exciting moments in between.

Thanks E3 but your time is up.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I miss it. All the Dutch journalists travelling to Los Angeles, covering the show, doing interviews and visiting the convention centre. We won't have any of that this year.

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
I had already forgotten about it. There will still be announcements this summer so I don't care either way.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Considering the last few years it's just been the Devolver Digital showcase. I haven't been missing it too much.

Wonder if Devolver have any plans or not this year...

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really miss it. I'd rather have announcements spread throughout the year with less expectations focused on one week.

I doubt we'll ever see it again either - the last few months and weeks have shown us that online announcements are much easier to postpone/cancel in response to real world events. Cancelling e3 in response of COVID was a decision made for them months ago - but imagine they were having to decide whether to go ahead with it with the current protests.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i honestly miss it, the spread out digital events over months are just not the same thing. they could have at least put them more closer together, like why does ubisoft do their event in july? i kinda doubt all these events will get as many views as they would if there still was e3 and publishers are going to notice

itfiend

Dec 31, 2019
I only miss it because I'd be pretty confident I'd have my next gen consoles pre-ordered by the end of this week in normal times. Otherwise, I can take it or leave it.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Man. I know my history with E3 pales in comparison to some of the other folks in the industry - but this will be the first one I miss since I started attending in 2015. Knowing that it's just not happening this year - along with SDCC and Anime Expo - is weird. What the hell am I going to do this summer?

petermarinus

Banned
May 31, 2020
Just shows you how far ahead of the industry Sony was; in my (small) country, they were setting up PS5 booths at a small computer museum. They point was to have a online 'keynote' and then actual consumers being able to travel in their own country to a free event where they could play the actual PS5 titles. There were supposed to be events like that all over the world.

I fully expect all companies to employ the above strategy next year

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly miss the hype around it more than anything. It was just always fun seeing the excitement and electricity out of so many people looking forward to news.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I miss it. All the Dutch journalists travelling to Los Angeles, covering the show, doing interviews and visiting the convention centre. We won't have any of that this year.
That's probably my most disappointing thing about not having a E3. Game kings streams were so much fun. Especially the ones around the big shows.

No E3 is definitely going to hurt sites like Power Unlimited and Game kings unfortunately.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I honestly miss the hype around it more than anything. It was just always fun seeing the excitement and electricity out of so many people looking forward to news.

This is definitely my big take away. The same fervor just doesn't happen with anything else outside Next-Gen Reveals (Good thing we're getting two this year) or Nintendo Directs. It was always something else knowing it was "E3 Week" and seeing what would get revealed or get leaked.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This year there has been a worldwide pandemic. In various moments, including one up until last week, I was in isolation for a total of almost 2 months, and since the end of February I haven't attended restaurants, theatres, and barely even met parents or friends. There has been the George Floyd incident and various other social and political changes, and there's a big economic fallout coming up for all the work we missed out on these months.

Honestly it sucks there's no actual E3 this year but this year is going by in such a strange way that I find myself hardly even concentrating on other entertainment much. Football (soccer for you US folks) is starting again and I barely care, and I'm usually pretty excited about that. It's a weird timeline.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
It would be nice to have E3 but I'm glad we don't. There are more important things than video games.