• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

From SWSX Film Fest Program courtesy of IMDB:
Born from the internet, the phrase "TFW NO GF" was originally used online to describe a lack of romantic companionship. Since then, it has evolved to symbolize a greater state of existence defined by isolation, rejection and alienation. The meme's protagonist, "WOJAK," has become the mascot to a vast online community consisting of self-described "hyper-anonymous twenty somethings" and "guys who slipped between the cracks." TFW NO GF asks: How has the zeitgeist come to bear down on a generation alienated by the 'real world'? Meet the lost boys who came of age on the internet- places like 4chan and Twitter, where they find camaraderie in despair.

Yes, this is actually a real documentary.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
How many of these do we need? If you've seen one of these documentaries/reports you've seen them all. It's always the same shit.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
giphy.gif

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
With that description are they trying to humanize mysoginist, transphobic, racist pieces of shit that shield themselves on these movements to just be plain old fucking nazis?

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This was done perfectly a long time ago by a woman for her college thesis called Shy Boys:

Before the whole incel thing really took off in the media too. Also it features an aquarium that's right near my town which makes me wonder where these people live.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bet the type of anons to answer with their personal information towards filming a documentary when asked in a 4chan thread are going to be some stable and well balanced individuals.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Incels: otherwise completely normal looking, boring men with zero personality outside of Internet culture who have spent their entire lives crushing on men & women that are stratospherically out of their leagues in physical attraction, personality, interest, goals, career success, sense of humor, tastes, fashion, and virtues. They whine about their self-destructive personality and focus on nothing but external factors while putting zero minutes of their lives into internal, self-improving factors. The embodiment of "I've done nothing and I'm all out of ideas", they take their anger out on the world. These are their stories.

How. Fucking. Exciting.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Director: "Here's a loser. Let's hear him out"
Incel1: "It's not my fault. It's women's fault for not loving me"
Incel2: "It's not my fault. It's women's fault for not loving me"
Incel3: "It's not my fault. It's women's fault for not loving me"

~fin

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get a bad feeling that this doc is going to be distressingly sympathetic to these dipshit's plight.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get a bad feeling that this doc is going to be distressingly sympathetic to these dipshit's plight.

That is a documentary approach that is often used to get people to show who they really are. That's the basis of Borat and Ali G skits - perceived sympathy and disarming sometimes contrary position to how the material is then edited and what message it presents.

I haven't seen the doc but I'm not going to judge it unseen based on that description. The idea that it's sympathetic or humanizing may well be how it exposes another layer - especially since (hopefully...) the documentary makers must have known they'd be dealing with suspicious, media savvy and potentially duplicitous subjects.

"Lulz I I'm being interviewed for a doc what should I do to troll them? Made up backstory? Fake persona based on obscure Chan meme?"

Edit

LOL oddly poignant search result :

Oe10jIe.png

Seven of Nine

Oct 27, 2017
This could be an even handed documentary that shows the contrast between the person they portray themselves to be in person and the pain and real world consequences their dehumanizing hatred causes.

This will likely be a humanizing piece on people that make themselves feel good by dehumanizing others.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
This is the documentary version of when a white serial killer gets his jet ski vacation selfie posted on local news

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
kinda excited tbh, its like watching a fascinating trainwreck when i see these incel videos on youtube

i just hope its very objective and more of a fly on the wall type doc. After watching tiger king im a bit tired of seeing these documentaries that enable pieces of shit and sugercoat them too

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
That is a documentary approach that is often used to get people to show who they really are. That's the basis of Borat and Ali G skits - perceived sympathy and disarming sometimes contrary position to how the material is then edited and what message it presents.

I haven't seen the doc but I'm not going to judge it unseen based on that description. The idea that it's sympathetic or humanizing may well be how it exposes another layer - especially since (hopefully...) the documentary makers must have known they'd be dealing with suspicious, media savvy and potentially duplicitous subjects.

"Lulz I I'm being interviewed for a doc what should I do to troll them? Made up backstory? Fake persona based on obscure Chan meme?"

Edit

LOL oddly poignant search result :

Oe10jIe.png
That jet looks pretty cool can I watch that instead?

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From looking at this picture from the IMDb picture gallery of this documentary, looks like these totally fucked people are interviewed by a woman. Wonder how these dudes reacted to being interviewed by a woman since the incel movement is highly misogynistic:

www.imdb.com

TFW NO GF (2020) - IMDb

TFW NO GF (2020) photos, including production stills, premiere photos and other event photos, publicity photos, behind-the-scenes, and more.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
I wonder why girls/women don't seem to have these issues.....

really makes you think...../s

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The filmmaker doesn't have any substantial prior credentials so tough to get an idea of what kinda tone it will strike, though she is a woman if that's significant. SXSW tends to be a very left-skewing festival that doesn't accept right-wing/apologist trash so I won't write it off yet.

EDIT: Most early reviews have praised it apparently.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds that this documentary depicts them as poor victims?

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I wonder why girls/women don't seem to have these issues.....

really makes you think...../s
They actually do, but not destructive to other people I have noticed, I have known several women and even my last relationship fell apart because they were just completely over being treated bad by guys so they pretty much gave up. Of course the big difference is 99% of the time they were treated horrible, while incels are just to messed up to see there preserved slights are all in there heads.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Because looks are a shallow thing, personality isn't and interests are not.

He listed 9 things, you pick one of them to to accuse him on.

Like your reasoning to call him shallow is based on 11.1% of his items.

Everyone also has different fashion sense, some which work better than others. Can't you call him shallow on that one as well?

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Imagine if these guys had taken all the time they spend online and instead went to the gym, or went on a diet, or maybe even went to therapy. But i guess it's easier to just blame others and post all day than to actually try and improve your own dating prospects.

Curious to see the film. I don't have to agree with a documentaries subject for it to be an interesting watch.

Side note I'm a big fan of Jay Cheel's podcast (Film Junk) and I hope Cursed Films does well, he's a cool dude.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The filmmaker doesn't have any substantial prior credentials so tough to get an idea of what kinda tone it will strike, though she is a woman if that's significant. SXSW tends to be a very left-skewing festival that doesn't accept right-wing/apologist trash so I won't write it off yet.

EDIT: Most early reviews have praised it apparently.
There was a Red Pill documentary by a woman that covered MGTOW and incels but she gave away her one-sided view by giving more airtime and sympathy to these men versus the liberals or progressives, and making this known beforehand that her intentions were to show their side mainly.

From reviews, this doesn't sound as bad as that.
https://aiptcomics.com/2020/03/21/sxsw-at-home-tfw-no-gf-review/ (Nathaniel Muir)
By letting her four subjects narrate the film, there is no opposing viewpoint. The difficulty lies in the stereotypical attitudes of the self described NEETs (Not in Education, Employment, or Training). They are pseudo philosophers who repeat the standard edge lord lines ("Guns don't kill people. Middle school psychiatrists do.") Listening to them is frustrating.​
This is where Moyer's excellent direction comes to play. What is at first annoying and sad becomes enlightening, pitiful, and at times, scary. The more the men talk, the more they reveal about themselves. For all their talk about being in on a joke no one else gets, they realize their lives can be better. By letting them tell their stories, Moyer succeeds in making the men interesting.​

https://glidemagazine.com/241698/tfw-no-gf-review/ (James Roberts)
Moyer follows a group of four young men who each tell variations of the same story. They grew up isolated, they couldn't make connections with other people, they dropped out of school, their prospects are few, they are crushed under the weight of small town mediocrity. It's not exactly a new phenomenon, of course. These are the conditions that have led to the development of a counter culture for time immemorial.​
In the modern era, however, there's a distinct dystopic feel to the growing rage that would have, just a few decades ago, formerly led to the rise of punk rock and metal scenes. Exacerbating these conditions today is the disconnect of modern living.​
Instead of clubs where the disaffected can meet and vent to the cacophonous sounds of whatever their local punk scene had to offer, they gather online, under a cloak of anonymity, pushing themselves and each other to be more and more incendiary just because they can.​
What grows throughout Moyer's look inside this subculture is the idea that something is implicitly wrong. For the men she follows, we can lay much of the blame on them. They drink too much, they don't go outside and spend their whole lives online, they push themselves out of bounds of normal society. But the question lingers: why did they do this?​
Something along the way failed them, even if they themselves play a part in their downfall. Industries that once supported their families collapsed; the housing market put the American Dream too far out of reach; the education system wasn't built to sustain or support them. These are a group of young men who watched as the promises of their youth evaporated into mist, leaving them without much to grab onto.​

TFW No GF offers an interesting sociological study on the rise of the disaffected male in modern society. In another, it shows us how the collapse of traditional social structures and safety nets have created conditions ripe for despair.​
https://thespool.net/festivals/2020/03/sxsw-tfw-no-gf-review-documentary-incel/ (Douglas Laman)
Director Alex Lee Moyer's doc is a stripped-down exploration of these dudes, one that shrinks down to the focus to just extended interviews with the central subjects. No interviews are to be found with their relatives, academic experts or anyone else. These five men see themselves as so isolated from American society that they can only turn to online trollery. As such, Moyer structures TFW No GF to reflect that insular worldview. It's one of a number of subtle touches meant to place the viewer right into the mindset of people like Kantbot or Charles.​
Unfortunately, going this direction has its fair share of limitations. Chief among those drawbacks is that the perspectives of these five figures just aren't interesting enough to function as the sole focus of a feature-length movie. Once you hear one of these guys talk for a prolonged period of time, you've basically heard them all. Rambling posing as faux-intellectualism, blatant sexism, the occasional violent comment like expressing sympathy for mass shooters. You could go into any random Twitter thread or message board and find this sort of dialogue.​
It's not exactly a revelatory development that this kind of worldview runs rampant on the Internet. Meanwhile, the explorations of how loneliness & depression inform their actions little more than surface-level.​

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cursed films sounds like an appropriate category for this

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll watch it also that series about horror movie sets

Anybody have a link to it ?

Last edited:

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Watched it. A pretty boring look into the lives of a bunch of losers who spend their days shitposting, shooting guns, and drinking. One got a girlfriend.