• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Drinking is not a joke. Its cancerous. You don't just gulp it down to numb your depression, and if you do, you know expect to get blacked out.

Did you mix drinks? Have you ever drank before? I used to drink like a chimney, but since I've stopped, I can't drink more than 2 beers without feeling drunk as fuck.

Take it slow, bud. Talk about your depression instead of drowning it in alcohol.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
One thing that helps in situations like that is have a bottle/glass of water with your beers and other drinks. Water will keep you hydrated and lessen the effects later on, and might even prevent you from slamming so many beers down. Whenever I drink I always have a bottle of water right with it.

Also for hangovers, since I usually just get headaches from them I take two Aleve and go back to bed. When I wake up take a nice warm shower and if necessary make some tea or coffee. Usually feel a lot better after that.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah blackouts suck. Two ways to help avoid them I don't think I've seen mentioned in this thread are don't drink on an empty stomach and don't drink too much if you're extra tired.

navii

Oct 28, 2017
Being sober gives you memory loss too. You forget how bad you felt after drinking the last time so you go and do it to yourself again and again and again.

OP
OP
Marossi

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I'm hating myself now because I'm remembering some things that I said yesterday with my friend lol. It wasn't anything bad, but they were just very intimate stuff and I'm a guy that it's pretty rare to open up with my feelings like that. What a night yesterday was.

game boy

Nov 26, 2017
It's also a powerful depressant, so you shouldn't drink if you're feeling depressed.

I'm gonna be Mr. Pedantic but the term "depressant" in the context of drugs means it "depresses" the functioning of the central nervous system, not that it makes you feel depressed emotionally.

That said, drinking while depressed absolutely makes things worse.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
It happens. Take some precautions so you can avoid repeats in the future, but no need to beat yourself up over it either.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I drank to the point of not remembering anything twice in my life. Both times I puked my guts out and had a head-splitting hangover the day after. It was terrible. I've never drank that much ever since (this was when I was a teenager btw). I've definitely learned my limits when it comes to alcohol consumption.

My advice: the moment you start feeling dizzy, stop. It won't be pretty if you keep drinking.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't sweat it too much OP, from one 20 year told to another. Learn from it and next time try not to drink when you're feeling down even if you have a friend with you.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
You'll learn. In College I blacked out 3-4 nights a week. As I got older and further away from the college life my drinking got under control and now it's been quite some time since I blacked out. I also only drink 1-2 nights a week now compared to the 5-6 nights I'd drink back in the day. Hangovers also get exponentially worse as you get into your late 20's so that helps stop you from going too crazy. If I drink too much now I will literally have a 24 hour hangover, it is awful.

My wife on the other hand genuinely doesn't enjoy alcohol and has never blacked out and only drinks once every few months. Some people just don't enjoy booze and there's nothing wrong with it.

Yup, don't force yourself to like drinking. I love drinking, and when out with friends, we drink quite a bit, but I never shame friends who don't want to drink while out.

That said, if you want to continue drinking, moderate yourself. Some people can drink a lot, but that doesn't mean you have to. You might never have a high tolerance. That's okay. No one is going to think less of you as a result. People will, however, think differently of you, if you're that guy always puking and blacking out.

So, drink slowly, eat plenty, and when you think "eh, I'm not THAT drunk, let's have another drink", take a break.

Never passed out drinking. I know it when im at my limit. Drinking lots of water/gatorade before sleeping helps alot.
Yeah, this is a great way to avoid a hangover. Drink tons of water before going to bed. You'll still feel groggy in the morning, but your headache won't be so bad.