• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The softness/blurriness (?) of the footage reminds of "impossible" Switch ports
but other than that, holy shit that is impressive

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Serious (not hating) questions, as I've only played the official levels and not tried the creator.

Is there a reason they walk so slow? Does the game struggle with loading or draw-in?

Can the engine/console handle this in big environments?

Is there a resource limit, like if you create such detailed world's, does that reduce the remove the ability to add characters, AI, actions?

Otherwise this seems to good to be true for talented people.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
He's done such an impressive work. This imo is the most impressive dreams game being made though.

The stuff that's going to come out now that people are getting a really good grasp of the tools are gonna blow us away. Cowl is looking really good especially, like the best kind of indie level game.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
this looks like the game I think a lot of us were hoping Below would turn out to be. and then some. that's one helluva Dreams trailer, thanks for sharing.
Yes im more excited for 2d and isometric games like hollow knight and hotline miami style. For such games i think Dreams has enough thermo to provide for creators to go wild and do anything. Cowl has the trailer of a top notch indie game for example. It has a long way to go but for a single person creating it within a few months is already super impressive. Im not hoping much out of 3d games until ps5 version as apart from thermo 3d stuff requires immense amount of time as well.

Oct 25, 2017
How long does it take to learn the tools in Dreams? Like to get a basic grasp of them?

I need to buy this game, but I'm afraid of the learning curve.

misterb2001

Oct 28, 2017
How long does it take to learn the tools in Dreams? Like to get a basic grasp of them?

I need to buy this game, but I'm afraid of the learning curve.
A very basic grasp, as in placing objects and very basic world building? A couple of hours tops.

Understanding sculpting and animation etc, a good few hours more.

I built a little level that looks cool in a weekend as a complete noob to it.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Is it not possible for the leaves to blow in the wind?

ps4protakeoff.jpg

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
Not sure. I do remember them explaining it what it was. The answer was among their first interviews after revealing the project.

I found this link, hopefully it will help: https://www.creativebloq.com/features/dreams-on-ps4-all-you-need-to-know-to-get-started

You can create textures in Dreams. By painting over the models with certain tools. It is just that there's a certain level of fidelity people can reach without busting the thermos' limit. However, there are people pushing these techniques by making them more cost-effective within the thermos every day. Some of the best creators in Dreams became masters at optimizing their assets' weight for their project.

It sounds like a point-cloud with particles-like billboards attached to them. When we do photogrammetry (scanning real world objects) an intermediary phase is a point-cloud generation. One of the main limitation to display a point cloud is the large amount of data required to render a model in descent quality, and I guess on current gen consoles the lack of SSD really hurt Dreams' full potential. Epic just added support for rendering point-clouds in their Unreal Engine 4 as well, I'm curious what devs will come up with in the next few years.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to downplay how gorgeous it looks, but I would have preferred less detailed and more life.
Static vegetation is really weird to watch, uncanny valley for me.

I'm the opposite! That's what makes it realistic looking to me.
How often in a dense looking Forrest/trail walk do you see plant life swaying about like there's a hurricane blowing through?

Look at that video above your post. The stillness of the Forrest is what makes it so full of life.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
That looks really nice atmosphere-wise but just like the other forest walkthrough the extreme staticness of it all really hurts the presentation. The density is great but there's no life to it all.
Honestly I prefer this over the average professional game which always has some hyperactive bushes swaying back and forth constantly in a very unconvincing and distracting manner. It's a calm day, things don't always sway back and forth constantly.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

I can't wait to see what people do with Dreams on a PS5.

When I first saw the pic, I was like na na na no way. Amazing!

The PS5 version of Dreams... with that SSD and with RayTracing, will look and run.... I can't even describe it.

Plus 3D Sound and with haptic feedback...yeah, creators will have so much fun coming up with unique experiences.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
There's a really good siggraph talk from 2015 where Alex Evans talks about how the art style, toolset, engine and performance requirements forced numerous engine iterations and re-thinks, a mini version of a siggraph talk I think (it's only half an hour long so well worth a watch). mmalex is one of those super geeky tech savants who can seemingly just chat away and make dumb people like me think they understood something well beyond them, no dry boring technobabble. So it's not traditional texture/model/mesh-based, and it's not voxels, what I got is that it's based on constructive solid geometry; making complex stuff by applying super basic stuff to other super basic stuff by adding, subtracting, blending and colouring. Signed distance fields define around a dozen of these primitive shapes likes cube, cone, taurus and splines, and clouds of point cloud 'splats' are used to render them. He goes into more specifics on what that offers for LODs, lighting, intersections etc.

Dreams are really tiny, and pretty much everyone I've talked to about it comments on the minimal time from launching a Dream from the cloud to playing. It feels weirdly next gen already, but on an aging console that was already pretty averagely powered at launch.

The softness/blurriness (?) of the footage reminds of "impossible" Switch ports
but other than that, holy shit that is impressive

He abuses dof and fov nicely in his work along with those layered techniques for getting very texture-y results. Not sure how the videos are captured, but if it's using the ps4's in-built capture, it's pretty destructive to IQ.

Serious (not hating) questions, as I've only played the official levels and not tried the creator.

Is there a reason they walk so slow? Does the game struggle with loading or draw-in?
Watch the video I linked above if you have 20-30 minutes, traditional LOD isn't applicable here, you get those as an inherent property of the engine. Movement might be slow because of an artistic choice, might be they're abusing motion blur or something else that would artifact with faster movement. You'd have to ask.

Can the engine/console handle this in big environments?
Big is relative. You can certainly have large expanses in your Dreams. It's a trade off on the various thermometer aspects, but some aspects require you to think about things a bit differently than you might naturally - some simple things burn thermometer, others you feel like you're getting a lot for "free".

Is there a resource limit, like if you create such detailed world's, does that reduce the remove the ability to add characters, AI, actions?

He says in his tweet he's almost burned through the thermometer, but I dunno how much he has in that scene. Thing with Dreams is, you can transition to another scene in a matter of a few seconds, there's no real load/wait time, so it just needs considered design.

I'm the opposite! That's what makes it realistic looking to me.
How often in a dense looking Forrest/trail walk do you see plant life swaying about like there's a hurricane blowing through?

Look at that video above your post. The stillness of the Forrest is what makes it so full of life.
Totally agree. I trail run through an eerie tall pine forest near here (well, used to, when we were allowed to play outside) and there's nothing but creepy stillness. The smaller vegetation, ferns etc. barely move and looking up through to the sky peeping through looks just like his videos.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Showed it to my girfriend and she thought I was showing her an Osmo Pocket video of the Forrest.

this is going to take us amazing places.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Dreams use splats for textures and hulls for opaque things, so not point cloud. Point cloud Was not performant in real time and left seams in objects, everything was transparent to a degree!

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Yeah, watching this was a mistake lol. Day 20 of the quarantine and I miss the forest so so much. Going outside in general.

Absolutely phenomenal how real this looks.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
I load up Dreams usually once a week and the progress every time is amazing. The quality and polish on show is ridiculous.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this game is carried over into the next generation. I know it'll be back-compat but I'd love to see some kind of proper PS5 support, so users could take advantage of that system's strengths. I don't know how they'd go about doing that but they're clearly wizards over there.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's him.

indreams.me

BADROBO82

Hi, Im a creator from Poland. If you want to find out what projects I am currently working on in Dreams, visit my YouTube channel Bad Robo

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I really hope this game is carried over into the next generation. I know it'll be back-compat but I'd love to see some kind of proper PS5 support, so users could take advantage of that system's strengths. I don't know how they'd go about doing that but they're clearly wizards over there.
Well, I have some good news for you. Alex Evans confirmed in a recent interview that they've got the game running on the PS5 (natively). So they are definitely going to take advantage of the PS5's power.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
They really have to fix the direct upload quality for PS5. All the videos that were directly uploaded are blurry as shit.

Impressive achievement though. I'll for sure jump into the Dreamiverse for PS5

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Dreams use splats for textures and hulls for opaque things, so not point cloud. Point cloud Was not performant in real time and left seams in objects, everything was transparent to a degree!

This part of a Q&A MM did with Alex Evans is the clearest explanation of how this breaks down:

My understanding is that the primary thing you see in Dreams is splats being drawn at the surface of the object. The hull of the object is drawn solidly, but this isn't something you'll see for the most part unless you're very distant at which point the splats disappear. The hulls are used to fully occlude anything behind the object (and facilitate occlusion culling).

I don't think it's really right to say Dreams has textures at all, but you can achieve texture by:

1) Spray-painting which is basically colouring the surface flecks
2) Fine detail sculpting which can give you genuine bumps and parallax occlusion
3) Layering 'paint' over an object, which is adding flecks without bricks

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I thought it uses splats to paint surfaces on point clouds. Without the point clouds, where do you splat? I went back to the video I linked, he said "Dreams is rendering a cloud of point clouds of point clouds" right after he talks about once you're rendering everything with splats, you get certain stuff for free and can take advantage of that. The pipeline flow diagram shows edit list -> compute shader of doom -> signed distance fields -> pre-filtered & clustered point clouds (cloud of cloud of point clouds) -> software renderer (no triangles) atomic unit -> zbuffer/g-buffer/something off screen.

Did the engine change again after this? EDIT, given the link above, yes they did :) To add the "solidness" of the brick engine to stopp stuff being minutely transparent.

EDIT2: That video is really good, annoyed I'd missed it. Alex states later on in it (question at 56:25) "it's point clouds. What we're doing is point clouds... it's point clouds over the surface of a distance field which is volumetric but then is which raymarched using sphere tracing".

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Thats amazing.

What kind of upgrades could a ps5 offer dreams?

The PS5 could offer huge improvements, but it's not clear what MediaMolecule will do at this stage. On the graphics side you'd imagine the PS5 would trivially allow resolution/performance improvements. Whether they'll also do stuff like HDR, what if anything they'd use ray tracing hardware for, is hard to know.

The more interesting side of things is that the increase in RAM would facilitate you to have many more 'things' and the much more unique art data, the improved GPU would allow sculpt data to be evaluated faster (improving loading times), and the increase in CPU power would allow a lot more logic to be encompassed in a scene.

The big question for me though is what they could use the SSD for though, as that's where the biggest hardware jump is. If Dreams could support level streaming (something they'd have to build significant tools around), it would radically expand what kinds of games you could make with high quality visuals.