• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
can you import from Quixel with Dreams? Like files/fbx/textures.. etc?
At the moment, no. Maybe once it arrives on PC. Media Molecule has said that they'll provide the features that the players/creators want the most.

Also, yes, a fleck is a voxel. Their engine is a thing of beauty. You should check out some of their videos about the Dreams engine.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
This is the same guy who made the realistic forest a few weeks back. He's got a knack for this. I do wonder how complex the level is in terms of "thermometer". I can't imagine anything like detailed characters with AI could be added to scenes like this. I'd love to be proven wrong. But as someone alluded to above, just being able to walk around this scene in VR would be so serene.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
This is the same guy who made the realistic forest a few weeks back. He's got a knack for this. I do wonder how complex the level is in terms of "thermometer". I can't imagine anything like detailed characters with AI could be added to scenes like this. I'd love to be proven wrong. But as someone alluded to above, just being able to walk around this scene in VR would be so serene.
the tweet does say he only have little thermo left. I think current Dreams probably won't be able to fit any game mechanic inside this level , but I imagine PS5 ver will have enough power to do it.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So that's why they took entire gen to make this game...

But yeah, when I see this, I ask myself if we really need a new gen. This looks just good enough.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I can't begin to fathom how this is possible. My God. Media Molecule has truly made something remarkable

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish I were creative enough to make things in Dream. Well, I have ideas but don't have the time to invest in learning the mechanics and create. Guess I'll just continue playing marvel at all of these talented gamers that make these...

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
impressed with the foliage density along the pathway. i hate how wrong so many games get the density wrong in forests and woods. they make it so you can pretty much go anywhere you want so long as you don't run into a tree, but that's not how it works. you have grasses and weeds as tall as you, and so dense and thickly grown that you'd need to cut it down or smash it down to get through it, and it would physically wear you out.

i know it seems like a nitpick considering videogames aren't real and are meant to be fun, but with how many of them try to mimic real life they so often get that kind of thing wrong. and it's extra funny in this case considering you can see he just cloned the same weed thousands of times, yet it's STILL far more convincing than most other games.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
That looks really nice atmosphere-wise but just like the other forest walkthrough the extreme staticness of it all really hurts the presentation. The density is great but there's no life to it all.

is it weird that i thought it looked more real at 360p than hd?

That's because the lower resolution hides all the blemishes, like the textures (Or lack thereof in Dreams).

Oct 28, 2017
I have to admit that I was expecting some clunky copy of another game but this very unexpected, really, my respect to the creator and team Mm

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wait... What?? I have seen it rushly in the other thread and I said to myself oh amazing, but enough with the next gen tech demos, I want to see the real thing( actual games,) and I stopped watching it.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
impressed with the foliage density along the pathway. i hate how wrong so many games get the density wrong in forests and woods. they make it so you can pretty much go anywhere you want so long as you don't run into a tree, but that's not how it works. you have grasses and weeds as tall as you, and so dense and thickly grown that you'd need to cut it down or smash it down to get through it, and it would physically wear you out.

i know it seems like a nitpick considering videogames aren't real and are meant to be fun, but with how many of them try to mimic real life they so often get that kind of thing wrong. and it's extra funny in this case considering you can see he just cloned the same weed thousands of times, yet it's STILL far more convincing than most other games.
I mean, it really depends on the forest you are in. Not every forest is densely populated with ground flora. Elevation plays a huge role in that.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I mean, it really depends on the forest you are in. Not every forest is densely populated with ground flora. Elevation plays a huge role in that.

sure, but when 99% of them in games have the same traverse-ability and invisible walls, it gets old and breaks the immersion for me.

it's just refreshing to see something so closely mimic the type of density i so often see IRL- obviously in areas where i personally hike, etc.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
If you told me this was actually a prank and was not made in Dreams I would completely believe you. In fact I'd say, yeah I knew they whole time.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Amazing. Something like this can be made on a game, by a random creator, on base ps4

Imagine all the next Gen possibilities

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
How the heck do people make stuff like this in that game? Is it just a matter of patience and planning?

Are the tools to make stuff in dreams easy and intuitive?

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
I feel like Media Molecule and Sony didn't really show off Dreams ability to do more photo-real type art design leading up to its release. I wonder why? Is it because they feared it would scare people off?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This is exactly the kind of escapism i need right now. looks insane. PS5 version of this with more diversity in assets, grass sway and interactivity will be amazing.

Is this level published yet?

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
Owen-Wilson-WTF.gif

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
He's done such an impressive work. This imo is the most impressive dreams game being made though.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
ShookT!

I haven't been following the game or the community, and I had thought it was mostly for artsy creations...was not expecting that at all.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I had to pull it up on my tv because on my phone it did look like a prank. Like real except the foliage was not moving. But yeah, on a bigscreen i can see that its actually dreams. Damn thats weird.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Not sure. I do remember them explaining it what it was. The answer was among their first interviews after revealing the project.

I found this link, hopefully it will help: https://www.creativebloq.com/features/dreams-on-ps4-all-you-need-to-know-to-get-started
All surfaces in Dreams consist of something called 'flecks'. These are basically small splashes of texture that you can manipulate into a tighter or looser surface. even a highly detailed, hard-surface model made in Dreams consists of these 'flecks', which you'll see when you get close enough. this means that you'll never see polygons or pixels in Dreams. this is what gives Dreams scenes their distinct, painterly look – but you can also avoid this look if you don't like it.

That looks really nice atmosphere-wise but just like the other forest walkthrough the extreme staticness of it all really hurts the presentation. The density is great but there's no life to it all.

That's because the lower resolution hides all the blemishes, like the textures (Or lack thereof in Dreams).
You can create textures in Dreams. By painting over the models with certain tools. It is just that there's a certain level of fidelity people can reach without busting the thermos' limit. However, there are people pushing these techniques by making them more cost-effective within the thermos every day. Some of the best creators in Dreams became masters at optimizing their assets' weight for their project.

Last edited: