• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Everything about this trailer was perfect. Just plugged in my Vita for the first time in over a year after rewatching it.
With PS5 and Series X right around the corner, just wanted to share it to spread some console reveal joy.

Honestly, they should use that song for the PS5 reveal.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the Epic Citadel segment of the NGP presentation was what sold me on a vita. too bad they never made a proper game on it

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
It's crazy how different Sony's first party lineup feels today compared to what's shown in that Vita trailer, and it was only 8 years ago.

I do wish Uncharted Golden Abyss did come to The Nathan Drake collection. I got a Vita at launch, but barely played it. I am a huge Uncharted fam, but shamefully never got far in it. :/ I even read one of the Uncharted books.

I did play Gravity Rush, but the remaster on PS4. Game was really fun, and Kat's character is charmingly silly.

OP
OP
Sleve McDichael

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Say what you want about the Wii U, but I actually quite liked this reveal trailer also.
It almost sold me on the Wii U.

Jan 2, 2018
"The power is now in your hands" ?

Reminds me of:

"They said it wasn't humanly possible, but now you can have all the power and excitement of Nintendo right in the palm of your hand!"

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how different Sony's first party lineup feels today compared to what's shown in that Vita trailer, and it was only 8 years ago.

I do wish Uncharted Golden Abyss did come to The Nathan Drake collection. I got a Vita at launch, but barely played it. I am a huge Uncharted fam, but shamefully never got far in it. :/ I even read one of the Uncharted books.

I did play Gravity Rush, but the remaster on PS4. Game was really fun, and Kat's character is charmingly silly.
Golden abyss is the only uncharted I've beaten. I loved it. The gyro controls made shooting feel so good.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Gravity Rush was the prime example of how to utilize every feature of the PS Vita the right way. It set the standard.

Sadly no one cared. The PS Vita was the best portable console ever released! If only it had the support the 3DS had!

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh lord the feels...it hurts....I love the Vita. I'll be sad to see this gen end, because that's when the vita will really die then. Now it's still a great Remote Play device...I use mine daily for that. Despite my hopes and dreams, it's extremely unlikely the vita can connect to ps5 for remote play. That reveal trailer was beautiful. I love Sony's handhelds so much, they just ooze style and fun to me. I'm very sad that we won't see another handheld from them :(

OP
OP
Sleve McDichael

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This PS4 trailer from the February 2013 reveal was pretty hype at the time, a few weird cuts though.
Console reveals, man. I love 'em. I can't wait.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
I quite literally just pulled out my Vita, plugged in and nearly shit my pants when it wouldn't power on. After 30 minutes of charging she's back and holy fuck I forgot how beautiful this little thing was.

Time for a spot of Dragon's Crown.

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
Thanks for sharing, OP.
Not 2 days ago I bought a new memory card for my Vita because I was feeling the itch to replay some games that are dear to me. My old card died a year ago so I was just using the poor thing as a 4th controller for Crash Team Racing.
Truly a magical system that I feel was killed by its manufacturer's incompetence.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
That was such a weird reveal because everything seemed super early and nebulous (Killzone sticks out in my mind in particular), yet I was STILL hyped as hell

Uncle00Jesse

Nov 1, 2017
Say what you want about the Wii U, but I actually quite liked this reveal trailer also.
It almost sold me on the Wii U.

Can the Wii U do even half the shit that's in that trailer? I've had one since 2013 (enjoyed it a lot) but I'll be damned if it actually had any of those features and felt that seamless

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Everything about this trailer was perfect. Just plugged in my Vita for the first time in over a year after rewatching it.
With PS5 and Series X right around the corner, just wanted to share it to spread some console reveal joy.

Honestly, they should use that song for the PS5 reveal.

Decent trailer but every time I see the back touch pad used it makes me angry!

Ok, not really, but man what a poorly executed feature that was. Caused more issues than it actually solved and made the device super uncomfortable to hold in any game that used it. What were Sony thinking?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I also still remember the NGP tech demos of MGS4, Lost Planet 2 and Yakuza Dead Souls that never really amounted to anything on Vita.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I never realized how much they marketed the gyro-capabilities of the Vita

I'm curious when third parties like Square Enix, Konami and Sega essentially started to write off the Vita. Still shocked how limited the third party support was when it was so promising at the start there.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya

I'm curious when third parties like Square Enix, Konami and Sega essentially started to write off the Vita. Still shocked how limited the third party support was when it was so promising at the start there.
Weirdly, Square-Enix actually supported it more with time! I guess for them it just happened to line up with the games their devs were making (plus Kawazu really liked the Vita, so an exclusive SaGa got made).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Pretty quickly, Capcom and Level 5 also dumped it fast. I think the 3DS price drop and MH deal was kind of the death knell for most major 3rd party support, although Bandai Namco snd Koei Tecmo both still stuck around and also SE to much a lesser degree. In the west it never really had much major support outside the deals that Sony financed directly (COD, AssCreed, Borderlands), but 3DS was sort of in the same boat there. Major western 3rd parties bought wholesale into the death of handhelds narrative, it's only now with Switch that's really turned around somewhat and with some surprising publishers leading the way: Bethesda, Blizzard, 2K, CDPR and, uh, Microsoft.

Last edited:

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Man I miss the early hype of the Vita days. It's a shame it couldn't be another PSP. =(

I also still remember the NGP tech demos of MGS4, Lost Planet 2 and Yakuza Dead Souls that never really amounted to anything on Vita.
One could argue that the yakuza stuff turned into the free apps they released in japan to tie in with Yakuza ishin & 0. Shame they never did a full game or even a port of Ishin to vita. The free app was pretty impressive.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'll ever fall in love with another gaming product in this lifetime as I've fallen with the Vita.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have an MP3 of that song. Yes, MP3. I still don't know the title nor the artist.