• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
The wonderful world of sleeping.

I think I've got sleep paralysis only once or twice, but I never saw any demons.
I had some creepy hallucinations though, probably during the phase while you start to fall asleep.

The first one was some deep demon voice (like those in horror movies) talking in some indescribable language. It was like some person was right next to my ear. Funny thing though is that I reacted pretty cool because I just thought "dude shut the fuck up" and the voice vanished. lol

The other far more creepy thing is the hand that touched my back. While I'm lying on my back I could feel a hand / fingers that stroked my back. It was only for a short time but the feeling was 1000% real.

Another weird thing: One time I heard a bomb exploding in my head. I don't know how it is if a grenade explodes right next to your ear, but it was this loud, it woke me up.

Other things I experienced: lucid dreaming, false wakeup loops, trippy visual hallucinations, etc.

Last edited:

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
I had sleep paralysis a couple of times but have never seen weird shapes or something. Probably because I sleep on my stomach. I just hear voices screaming at me when I have sleep paralysis

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Had it once. The demon didn't have a shape more like a shadow in the doorway. One time I had a dream that felt like sleep paralysis. An alien grey trying to open the sliding glass door and I couldn't move in the dream to lock it. Think it opened it too since I couldn't move to lock it.

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Demons would be neat on sleep paralysis. I thought I was dying, and was taking my final breaths as my body shut down. Was trying so hard to scream, couldn't feel my limbs and was terrified.

Doesn't happen often tho

Exact same feeling. I've only ever had it one time, and it was the worst. My 'demon' was a figure that resembled my brother holding me down, towards the end of it it morphed into this shadowing thing and I vividly remember black shadowy arms. In my somewhat dream state I thought my brother was dying and I tried to get up, but like you my body shut down and I was trying to scream and eventually I did, waking up my boyfriend next to me. Terrifying.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
I had sleep paralysis twice and I can remember a big, black shape standing by the bed, watching me.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I never see creatures or people when I have SP, but I often feel that someone is in the house with me. Like, I can hear my parents stressing about even though I live alone, or vaguely hear/feel someone coming into my room. It's not really scary, just very strange.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Luckily I've never had this, I'm not sure I'd ever want to sleep again.

Interesting how similar many of the figures are, long limbs and ceiling crawling seem to be common.

Also glowing eyes, I wonder if that's some deep old fear of the reflective eyes of predators in the dark.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
I've had Sleep Paralysis several times but it always had me just feeling like my neck was broken until I snapped out of it. I didn't know hallucinations were a thing for it.

negreenfield

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my sleep paralysis is just me not being able to move. Never demons or any other wacky things. I just freak out until I can finally wake myself up.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Demons ? I thought sleep paralysis was just waking up and not being able to move ?

It's because you can become awaken in a hypnogogic state.

So you are conscious but also dreaming and while you can't move because of the sleep paralysis your dream brain starts to fill in the blanks eg. a hag sitting on your chest or whatever.

I tend to see scorpions and spiders writhing on the wall and ceiling.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I've ever had sleep paralysis, but I've had hallucinations upon waking up a few times. It's always the same; anything light in colour has black dots on it.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
This always happens to me on false wake up dreams. It's still dreaming, and you're in your bed, but there's something a bit different about the room, some times including these random shapes standing around you. You try to get up but can't, like your limbs, sheets, or clothes are too heavy.

I learned to recognize when it happens, and that usually wakes me up for real.

But these types of dreams come in seasons, I won't have them for months, and then get a lot of them in a week.

When I was younger they definitely used to scare me a lot, but It's less scary now.

Diunx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw a black and white little girl using my sister's laptop at the foot of my bed when I got my first sleep paralysis experience, didn't see anything the second time a few weeks later, I didn't know about the shadow people stuff at the time so it was a release when I learn that most people saw similar stuff tbh.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Oh cool so this is Bloodborne the Twitter thread

Nah but for real these demons are freaking creepy

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The black goat one... Sorry to break it to them, but that's just Satan. They don't have sleep paralysis, because the actual lord of darkness is visiting them. :P

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I had this happen once. It looked like ghost, holding a knife. Pale, translucent figure, made of whispy cloth and smoke and thin arms. Freaky as hell. Scared the shit out of me.

Oh, and sometimes when I try to fall asleep, I start hearing a chorus of whispers. I "fight" them off by trying to relax, but that makes them grow louder and angrier. As this progresses, I feel an immense pressure build up in my head, as if it's going to explode. It doesn't hurt, it's just uncomfortable. Whenever I stop and wake myself up, the get quiet. It's as if they want to sleep, but upset that I'm aware of their presence. I don't know. It happens every few months or so.

Last edited:

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Can people post more images and gifs like these? Realistic scary stuff?
sleep+paralysis+7.jpg

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Oddly enough the last time I experienced it, the 'demon' was a kitten.

It was the least scary nightmare I've had.

Oct 25, 2017
I had a particularly bad one I think back in college, roommates came running into my room because I was screaming. I had a dream that I was in a form of sleep paralysis which was trippy but thankfully I woke up quick. It definitely reminded me of college which makes me wonder if I was in some sort of partial form.

I may be wrong but it sounds like your describing a night terror. I believe most who deal with sleep paralysis have a total inability to move or even make noise.

Either way I've had both multiple times and they're unsettling for me

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think I ever got sleep paralysis. However I have woken up to seeing spider shadows run across the walls or ceilings. It's happened so many times I just laugh it off now.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Mine is never a demon. I always see an old woman sitting on my chest and she's what's keeping me from moving. I keep trying to scream but no sound comes out and she keeps putting her face closer and closer to mine until I finally wake up.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
There are ones that appear to multiple people (the fedora one and the ceiling dude).

Wow

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is a fun thread to read when you've been up all night and you're trying to finally go to sleep

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I'm still waiting on a hot female demon that'll ride me.

All I get is some old hags trying to choke me and demon children staring at me. Fucking hell.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm too powerful to get sleep paralysis. Kind of sucks, I'd like to experiences it once or twice. I'd like to think I'm the kind of guy who, if I saw a ghost down the hall I would run towards it just to see if ghosts were real. Seeing demons or some shit would be wild, I'd keep my eyes wide open and ride it out yo.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm too powerful to get sleep paralysis. Kind of sucks, I'd like to experiences it once or twice. I'd like to think I'm the kind of guy who, if I saw a ghost down the hall I would run towards it just to see if ghosts were real. Seeing demons or some shit would be wild, I'd keep my eyes wide open and ride it out yo.
Lol the point is that you can't move or make a sound unless you've experienced it a few times and know how to break it. The first time is horrible and a lot of people start getting it as a child.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Funfact for those who have this but never see anything, I used to be that way to until I started reading threads like this. Once the notion that I could be attacked by shadow people showed up, it happened the next time I got sleep paralysis.

Never see anything more than the one shadow guy though. No hat on him, either. He also lacks a face. He's just this gangly silhouette. Kinda hoping I get to see the ceiling guy at some point. That one sounds neat.

Edit: There's been more audio to the bouts of late. Usually whispers that I can't make out or simple words that don't make sense, like "cooking." Sometimes I hear my name. Very strange.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty funny, I've never had scary hallucinations in Sleep paralysis, I guess that's because I sleep towards the wall and almost cover myself entirely down the blanket. But there was one time I saw a Pikachu poster on the wall, and another where a third arm came out of me, that was fun.

Now that I have said this, I fully expect for tonight be my first scary sleep paralysis experience, subconscious can be a dick.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Why are they all sort of similar!? WHAT IS WRONG WITH Y'ALL MOTHERBONKERS POSTING THOSE GIFS!?

My alarm went off while reading this thread and I literally screeched. I'm never sleeping again.

Spoiler tag that sh*t this instant!!! ; ~ ;

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
There's a 2015 documentary/horror film called The Nightmare that's kind of a fun/interesting watch. They interview people who suffer from sleep paralysis and then reenact their experiences horror movie style. There is some people they interview who are so fearful of it that they don't want to sleep every night, which to me is something that is much more scary than any weird creation of the mind.

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I've had an episode thankfully (5+ years I would guess), but it was always terrifying. The trigger for me was definitely drinking alcohol and then falling asleep on my back. I've never had SP on my side. The craziest SP experience I've had ended with me feeling like I was electrocuted to death. That was fucking nuts.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wouldn't even know where to begin to draw what I see. It's just a black void/presence. Although I'm not very artistically inclined.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I suffered from sleep paralysis for years and there was never a demon or any such shite. Just the horrible idea of something coming.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico

What.

I've literally never heard of sleep paralysis demons being a thing.

Yeah, hallucinating during sleep paralysis is a common thing. Some people feel weight on their chests as well. Most commonly, the 'demon' is a dark shadow like creature.

In a half dreaming state you wake up unable to move, your brain is going to do some weird shit to make sense of that.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
One thing I've noticed, in media, games, and experiences, almost always these beings/creatures are humanoid or warped looking people. I've always wondered about that. Is there something scarier about being tormented by humans than your average monster?

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
I've had it twice, I had no idea it existed until I googled what happened. Years later still can remember being scared shitless and the anxiety lasted for a long time afterwards.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017