• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Use a Dual Shock instead of a Pro Controller.
Why?

Ordered one last night when I saw the article.

As for the why, mostly it's because all I hear around here is people complaining about how the Dpad is hot garbage for the Pro, and it may or may not have been fixed with the xenoblade 2 version.

Of course, there's also the matter of spending only $20 instead of the $80 since I have an extra PS4 controller lying around(use one on Vita, one on PS4, and have one on PC before I bought an Xbox One one for that).

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God I regret buying the pro controller. I mostly just bought it because the joycons don't have a d-pad, but like 4 out of 5 times when I press up on the pro controller's d-pad it inputs as right. $70. What a fucking joke. I'll probably end up getting this and never using the pro controller again.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Nintendo would have this day one.

Finally I can play with 4 players on the Switch.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be more interested in knowing which of these adapters don't add any appreciable input lag. For many games, it might not matter, but for stuff like Bayonetta 3, or even Ultra SF2 it would.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What makes this better than the Mayflash, which I think does the same thing, but has way more functionality (e.g. Xbox One Elite on a Switch)?
Going by the press release it does nothing better, as you said it has less functionality since the Mayflash even let's you connect wired usb controllers because it has a usb port on the back and this 8bitdo one doesn't.

magic-ns-001.jpg

spec.png

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I know a store that sells the mayflash controllers in town. Might pick it up when I can afford to.

Kinda wish the Mayflash would work in any console that has USB, not just PS3/Switch/PC. I wonder if they solved the "PS2 games on PS3 can't use non-DS controller" problem.

Oct 26, 2017
Ordered one last night when I saw the article.

As for the why, mostly it's because all I hear around here is people complaining about how the Dpad is hot garbage for the Pro, and it may or may not have been fixed with the xenoblade 2 version.

Of course, there's also the matter of spending only $20 instead of the $80 since I have an extra PS4 controller lying around(use one on Vita, one on PS4, and have one on PC before I bought an Xbox One one for that).
How do you use a DS4 with a Vita?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Dualshocks are actually pretty good for people with short thumbs.

And people with longer thumbs too apparently. I've been using them since '95, and I have long and slender fingers. I've also never really understood the claim that the 360/One controllers are better for people with "larger" hands either, unless they specifically mean thickness. The original Xbox controller seemed to be based off of the Dreamcast controller anyway, and I absolutely hated those. At least the Xbox controller improved upon them.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone has one, and not everyone is going to want to drop $50 for one either on top of the cost of an adapter. But sure, it exists.
Most of us have one. As a matter of fact, a Wiimote + Classic Controller Pro combo can work just as effectively one you have the Retro Receiver.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Most of us have one. As a matter of fact, a Wiimote + Classic Controller Pro combo can work just as effectively one you have the Retro Receiver.

You know this as a fact, how exactly? There are a whole lot of people, even on this forum that have a Switch, and don't actually even own a Wii U. Probably more than not.

Deleted member 11926

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You've been sufficiently clowned on for your useless shitpost, but personally I would prefer to have the dpad in the primary position for 2D games. For 2D, I vastly prefer the dual shock to any other controller.

I don't think he was shitposting, though. But it's interesting that you prefer the DS4 for 2D games. I'm on the opposite side and think that the DS4 is the worst controller this gen (but an improvment over the horrible DS3!). But I can see why some people prefer the layout of the Dualshock controllers.

I would've bought a Switch Pro controller a long time ago but I like my d-pad with a pivot point. The Xenoblade 2 controller does seem to have one integrated now... I hope that this will carry over to the regular Switch Pro controllers.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Very interesting. DS4 is my favourite controller and I can never justify buying a pro controller.

And you can buy it on amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-B...pID=4125OvNXjjL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Oh the mayflash one is well reviewed and only costs a few quid more, maybe I should get that one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAGIC-NS-Wireless-Controller-Adapter-NINTENDO/dp/B07413R4HS

Might have to look into this, amazed that I didn't think of a solution like this sooner

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How's the input lag on this and the mayflash?
That's a pretty good question, I haven't properly tested the mayflash yet (using a slowmo camera to see the ms between press and action and stuff) but playing 2d platformers like Celeste I personally have not noticed any lag in wireless mode with a ds4, it's been pretty responsive in the latest firmware.

It would be cool if someone could test these adapters to see what kind of lag (if any) they introduce compared to a pro controller.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
What makes this better than the Mayflash, which I think does the same thing, but has way more functionality (e.g. Xbox One Elite on a Switch)?

In what universe is a dualshock controller better than even a madcatz
In this one. It is a great controller. Some dislike it. It's fine.

People seem to be forgetting the Wii U Pro Controller exists.
I am sure there are a lot more dualshock controllers in hands of consumers than wiiu pro ones.

For me this seems a really convenient option, I'm going to buy MagicNS, cheaper, works with a number of controllers, and allows wired too. And could also use for pc.
I recently bought fifa for switch, so for 10€ less than a switch pro controller i can play fifa (29.9+20 for the adapter) with friends properly.

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
hoping for an adapter to use the switch pro controller on pc and have vibration, i already have the 8bitdo and works well, but it doesnt rumble

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How's the input lag on this and the mayflash?
The Mayflash MagicNS has no percievable input latency, as far as I can tell (I'm sensitive to that shit). I've even used my MagicNS as a converter for my XiM4, to play through Splatoon 2's campaign and a bit of Turf Wars with a mouse and keyboard, to great success.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do people really dislike the Switch Pro controller that much? I prefer the PS4 controller the most followed by Xbox One and then the Pro controller but can play with any of them without any complaints. With that said, if I did have to complain, it would be about Nintendo's obsolete controller configuration setup. A/B should be B/A and X/Y should be Y/X in my opinion. In other words, I wish it was setup like the Xbox One controller buttons. Playing Mario/Rabbids with the weird configuration is just so damn annoying sometimes.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
People don't know how great the Wii U Pro Controller is, though. People still don't know just how good it is.
This adapter is mostly for convenience, so you can use a controller you already own on switch, saving some money.
It has nothing to do with x controller being better or worse.
I doubt most people would buy a wiiu pro controller plus the adapter instead of a switch pro controller tbh

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Do people really dislike the Switch Pro controller that much? I prefer the PS4 controller the most followed by Xbox One and then the Pro controller but can play with any of them without any complaints. With that said, if I did have to complain, it would be about Nintendo's obsolete controller configuration setup. A/B should be B/A and X/Y should be Y/X in my opinion. In other words, I wish it was setup like the Xbox One controller buttons. Playing Mario/Rabbids with the weird configuration is just so damn annoying sometimes.

The Switch Pro Controller is mostly fine, with a pretty noticeable flaw in their DPad. Fortunately this can be fixed with some simple modifications. I think the "shittiness" of the Pro Controller is vastly exaggerated. Remember this is the internet. Something is either GOAT or irredeemable trash.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Switch Pro Controller is mostly fine, with a pretty noticeable flaw in their DPad. Fortunately this can be fixed with some simple modifications. I think the "shittiness" of the Pro Controller is vastly exaggerated. Remember this is the internet. Something is either GOAT or irredeemable trash.

What's the flaw? I haven't had any problems with the directional pad.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Here's what it looks like when I attempt to alternate between left and right inputs quickly using a PS4 controller.

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/DeepWindingAnkole

Note how not a single input is dropped. Note how not a single unintended input is registered.

Here's what it looks like when I attempt the same shit, except even more slowly and carefully, on my Switch pro controller.

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/TidyDefinitiveKillifish

It's far, far too easy to trigger unintended inputs on the Switch d-pad. There's something of an easy fix, but it involves taking apart the Switch Pro controller, and the damn thing is more tank-like and more complex than any first party flagship controller I've ever taken apart. You or anyone else would instantly understand why the Pro controller is $70 the moment you take one apart, lol. Its sturdiness makes the DS4 and XB1 pads seem like MadCatz (in terms of build quality) in comparison.

Last edited:

Cien

Oct 25, 2017

The way the DPad is designed, makes it very easy to register different inputs due to the loose rocker mechanism. Putting some pieces of tape on the contacts will remedy the issue, but as mentioned, involves disassembling the controller. It is not that difficult to take apart, but i can see why some people would hesitate.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
does this work with the audio jacks on controllers?
that's really my biggest gripe with my switch. i don't even care about voice chat, i just want to be able to play on the TV without muting my games so i don't wake people up. the audio jack on the DS4 is, imo, its best feature. i can use my wireless USB headset with the switch too, but i'd prefer to just use earphones as they're a lot more comfortable.

if it does, can anyone recommend a third party controller with a good d pad and an audio jack?

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's what it looks like when I attempt to alternate between left and right inputs quickly using a PS4 controller.

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/DeepWindingAnkole

Note how not a single input is dropped. Note how not a single unintended input is registered.

Here's what it looks like when I attempt the same shit, except even more slowly and carefully, on my Switch pro controller.

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/TidyDefinitiveKillifish

It's far, far too easy to trigger unintended inputs on the Switch d-pad. There's something of an easy fix, but it involves taking apart the Switch Pro controller, and the damn thing is more tank-like and more complex than any first party flagship controller I've ever taken apart. You or anyone else would instantly understand why the Pro controller is $70 the moment you take one apart, lol. Its sturdiness makes the DS4 and XB1 pads seem like MadCatz (in terms of build quality) in comparison.

I can see the wrong inputs being entered for the Pro controller but at the same time, your thumb looks to be completely over the entire directional pad on the Pro controller where as in the PS4 clip, your thumb is more centered to the right of the directional pad.

I'm definitely not going to open up the Pro controller. I used it for Zelda BOTW and didn't have any problems with the directional pad in my 20+ hours of gameplay. Currently using the Pro controller for Kingdom Battle and not having any problems with that game either.

My main problem in regards to controls is the actual button configuration. I wish the buttons were setup like Xbox One. I wish A/B were B/A and X/Y were Y/X. I'm always pressing the wrong button but that's completely on me. I did buy the Pro controller in late November/early December so maybe, that flaw was fixed but if not, I haven't had any problems thus far.

The Pro controller is definitely built very well though, that's for sure as it easily weighs more than the PS4/Xbox One controllers.

The way the DPad is designed, makes it very easy to register different inputs due to the loose rocker mechanism. Putting some pieces of tape on the contacts will remedy the issue, but as mentioned, involves disassembling the controller. It is not that difficult to take apart, but i can see why some people would hesitate.

Yeah, im definitely not going to open up the controller. Thankfully, I haven't had any problems thus far with the directional pad.