• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Nintendo's Pro Controller for the Switch is a solid gamepad, but it's also a pretty expensive add-on. If you already have a Dual Shock 4 laying around, this tiny USB adapter might be a better (and cheaper) alternative. 8bitdo — a company best known for its aftermarket retro-style controllers — has just released a new device called the 8Bitdo Wireless USB Adapter. It's available for $19.99, and it allows you to use a number of controllers with the Switch. It includes support for all of the controllers 8bitdo makes, as well as both the Dual Shock 3 and Dual Shock 4 from Sony. It also supports most modern Nintendo controllers, including the Wii remote, Wii U Pro Controller, and the Switch's Joy-Con and Pro Controller.
https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...2/nintendo-switch-8bitdo-wireless-usb-adapter

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to dust off my Wii U Pro controller but Amazon won't ship this to Canada :(

Last edited:

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Bookmarked for when I get a Switch, especially as it works with the WiiU Pro Controller, that thing was way to brilliant to have died with its shitty system.

Feb 3, 2018
That chip looking thing looks familar .... WAIT A MINUTE !!!

0_preview.jpg

hero-chip-ii.jpg

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Don't really like how 8bitdo's stuff seems to slowly creep up in price whenever I look on Amazon UK...

Worth including that it also only lets you connect one controller at a time.

vertti

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly what I need.

If it supports multiple controllers at the same time...

I have two Wii U Pro Controllers. I love those so would be amazing to be able to use them with Switch. Also because my gaming pc doesn't have bluetooth I have not been able to play with PS4 controller wireslessly. This would solve the problem.

EDIT. It only supports one controller at a time. Oh bummer...

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
How does this work if I have a single DS4 between the PS4 and Switch? Is it gonna connect to both at the same time? Am I gonna have to constantly un-pair it with the PS4 to get it to work on the Switch?

Seems like a brilliant product if it's somehow easy to flip between the two consoles, but if I have to buy this plus another DS4 I may as well just get the Pro Controller for a similar cost.

vertti

Oct 27, 2017
I googled and there seems to be similar adapters in the market. But is there a single one that let me connect multiple controllers at the same time?

Switch controllers are so damn expensive so I'd rather use what I already have.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly nothing new, as someone on the thread has said Mayflash's magic ns does the same thing with making it possible to use the ds4, ds3, xb360 and xbone controllers on the switch and with motion controls in the case of the ds4.

If someone wants a even cheaper but still very good alternative there is the coov adapters too, the n100 needs to be connected to the usb but otherwise has the same capabilites of the magic ns including motion controls on the ds4, the newer n200 is wireless but I don't have that one so I can't vouch for it's quality but going by the n100 it probably works pretty well too.

Now don't get me wrong, the 8bitdo sounds like it's going to be good, but there are other options out there.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Going to change the topic.
Is there a good wireless adapter for the PS2? Want to use my DS3/DS4 with my PS2.

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty sweet! I like 8bitdo's stuff; they're generally quality products. Might just have to nab one; would be great to use my modded tatsucap stick on my Switch!

This is exactly what I need.

If it supports multiple controllers at the same time...

I have two Wii U Pro Controllers. I love those so would be amazing to be able to use them with Switch. Also because my gaming pc doesn't have bluetooth I have not been able to play with PS4 controller wireslessly. This would solve the problem.

EDIT. It only supports one controller at a time. Oh bummer...

You can use two of them if you wanted to (one per controller).

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Use a Dual Shock instead of a Pro Controller.
Why?

I have large hands, the DS4 fits much better in my hands with playbudz.
Also the D-pad and joysticks are much better imho. I'm struggling with the positioning of the joysticks on the Pro controller.

I have two Pro controllers, but I'm tempted to buy this thing if it actually supports all the Nintendo features with a ds4 controller.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
I have large hands, the DS4 fits much better in my hands with playbudz.
Also the D-pad and joysticks are much better imho. I'm struggling with the positioning of the joysticks on the Pro controller.

I have two Pro controllers, but I'm tempted to buy this thing if it actually supports all the Nintendo features with a ds4 controller.

For people who already have the DualShock, it's just $19.99 for this stick vs whatever the switch controller costs.

See I'm incredibly biased as I dislike the DS4 and pretty much have since launch. I don't think the SPC is perfect (or quite as good as it's reputation) but I certainly prefer it to the DS for comfort.
These are both fair points though so I concede :)

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, this is one of the things holding me back from buying a Switch. $20 isn't great but it's much better than paying $90.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Why did Verge do an article about a thing that came out two months ago? It's not even a review, just a promo article.

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But is there a single one that let me connect multiple controllers at the same time?

Switch controllers are so damn expensive so I'd rather use what I already have.
would love to know as well, I have multiple DS4, if there's an adapter that supports multiple controllers I'd get one right away

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I have a MagicNS which I use to use my joycons together as a single controller on my PC, and also use 360 controller emulation with the Switch Pro controller, but it's my understanding that it also works when connected to the Switch to do this same thing (pair with PS4 and other controllers). I see some other people have mentioned it. It seems like a much more versatile and worthwhile device.

• Wirelessly connect your PS4, PS3, Nintendo Switch Pro, Nintendo Switch Joy-Con, Wii U Pro, and Xbox One S Bluetooth controllers to your Nintendo Switch, PS3 or PC system.
  • The wired PS4, PS3, Nintendo Switch Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox 360 controllers and fight sticks, and standard wired USB controllers like Logitech rumble gamepad F510 and F310 can be connected to your Nintendo Switch, PS3 and PC system. Plug and Play!!.

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
It says compatibility with android tv as well.. hope this includes shield tv as well since the shield has pretty poor wireless 3rd party controller support. I may get two.. one for shield tv and one for switch.

Also if you get an n64 controller -> Wii remote adapter, I am guessing the n64 controller would be 'wireless' as well (just need to be able to map Z and L as needed or use the new brawler64 pad). Using an n64 controller would be great for smash. Although chaining two converters could introduce a few ms of lag.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's so much better.

And the D-pad, man. The D-pad.
The PS4 dpad is kind of bad though. Like all other sony pads (other than the vita) due to it's segmented nature it has busted diagonals. I despise using it for anything that requires specific inputs like fighters for that reason.

It's odd too because they totally nailed the vita dpad only to turn around and botch it again for the same reason they fixed with the vita. Just strange.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The same here! I play 90% of the time with headphones plugged in and I don't like using a Bluetooth headset
I'm serious, since I bought a ps4 I've never played without plugging my headpones in the controller. As i said, I can't live without this feature, I also use the ps4 as my only media center because of it.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I'm serious, since I bought a ps4 I've never played without plugging my headpones in the controller. As i said, I can't live without this feature, I also use the ps4 as my only media center because of it.

I can believe you. My PS4 is in my bedroom so I plug in headphones as to not wake my wife. I wish the Switch Pro controller had a jack but if this adapter works it'll solve all our problems lol