• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Remember the Wii was a PS2-gen console /s

I'm thinking of getting a desktop pc but I'm not sure if I'd like to have watercooling or not. Isn't it in danger of spreading liquid all over the hardware?

That happened my brother in Law. He was showing me his new Rig. He had orange UV liquid and a black light.

I was like "looks cool but why does it sound like rice krispies?"

That was the the graphics card and mother board getting fried.

Lordji

Oct 30, 2017
Hello guys

I have a VR question (is there an OT on the topic?). I work on a report on VR and I want to use screen captures that show the difference in image resolution between an image at the center and in the angles, bigger picture and zooms (showing we focus computational power on the user's centered gaze, rather than everywhere because there is little chance he'll check the angles of the screen without moving his head). I remember some reviews illustrating this, mainly digital foundry if my memory serves me well, but I can't seem to find this.

If someone could help and point me to the right direction, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little curious about the Spotify app on the quick menu for PS4. It shows up by default on my base PS4 quick menu options but it's not there at all on the PS4 Pro quick menu options for whatever reason. I'd like to have the option for my pro since it's the one I spend most time on and opening up the Spotify app causes whatever game I'm currently running to go into suspend mode while accessing Spotify from the quick menu on my base PS4 doesn't.

Base PS4 quick Menu
26163699177_9d2789c9ca_z_d.jpg

26163698787_fac10471f8_z_d.jpg

PS4 Pro Quick Menu
26163692697_4d78025cfe_z_d.jpg

26163693877_2f06f88d7d_z_d.jpg

Anyone know what might be causing this weird issue?
I can't speak for that issue but have you tried just connecting to Spotify with the app on your phone?

Soundwind

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Apr 13, 2018
the reason i ask if Sam Houser is jealous of Neil Druckmann..is Neil is more popular among the internet, twitter, youtube etc.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
I'm gonna play through the dark souls games (just those not demon or bloodbourne)

Is there any disadvantage starting with 3?
From a gameplay standpoint, no. From story standpoint, yes; you will be missing significant context on characters, locations, enemies, music cues, and ending states. Dark Souls 1 is a must play, but if you can't study up on the wiki.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
is ubisoft only selling uplay keys for far cry 5 at third party retailers? i want to buy a far cry 5 steam key, but the only place where i can get one seems to be at steam itself as all the other sites i browse
(green man gaming, cdkeys) seem to only sell uplay keys.

i know you have to activate the game through uplay anyway, but still i would prefer a original steam key

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Switch question: Do you need a TV at any point to operate a Switch besides playing it on the TV? In other words, I don't have a TV. Can I set up and use a Switch as though it were solely a handheld?

Right on, thanks

Last edited:

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but I don't know anywhere else where to ask for it. Other games on PS4 like Axiom Verge? I mean metroidvanias with tons of objects and exploration.

AMD

Oct 27, 2017
I played an hour or two of Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle on my friend's Switch when it first came out. One of the things (I think) I remember was the first main boss, Rabbid Kong, damaging party members by picking them up and rubbing them on his backside.

I finally got around to picking the game up for myself a few days back but when I got to the boss fight, Kong only caused damage by two means: shockwaves from ground-pounds and picking up the party and slamming them into the floor in front of him.

So, did I imagine the whole butt-wiping thing, did I just somehow fail to trigger it or has the animation been quietly patched out, presumably due to some killjoy's complaints?

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
Because people didn't get offended by every single thing back then. Also because the larger media paid less attention to the games industry.
I remember a lot of people were offended about playing a black character. A lot of magazines that included cheat discs loudly advertised that you could change CJ's player model.
In the end, nobody cared because it was a fun game and the world it was set in was great but yeah I remember people saying shit like "I can't believe they're making us play as a black guy"

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
SSX 2012 uses a fascinating dynamic audio remix or something like that where songs (including custom songs) get modified based on how you're performing on a course
Extra beats, reverb, echo, lowering and raising of pitch & frequency all happen dynamically based on what you are doing. It can turn a slow song into a dub-step remix

Have any other games done this? Ever?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
SSX 2012 uses a fascinating dynamic audio remix or something like that where songs (including custom songs) get modified based on how you're performing on a course
Extra beats, reverb, echo, lowering and raising of pitch & frequency all happen dynamically based on what you are doing. It can turn a slow song into a dub-step remix

Have any other games done this? Ever?

It's not exactly the same, but Monkey Island 2 used iMUSE, which seamlessly altered the music track depending on where you were.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, that's pretty interesting nonetheless, thanks!

Lots of Lucasarts games of that era use iMuse, but the adventures don't quite show it at its most dynamic. Possibly a better example when comparing with SSX is the iMuse implementation in X-Wing:

From Wookiepedia:
A typical example is in the flight engine of X-Wing: While the player is flying, the engine plays the normal soundtrack, loosely based on Star Wars theme. When a Rebellion or Imperial craft enters the area, the music is interrupted and the brief 'Rebellion theme' or The Imperial March cue is heard.

Other cues contribute when a mission objective is reached or failed, when the player Hyperspaces back from a successful mission, or a failed mission etc.

The interruption of music, insertion of short cues and continuing of the music, uses a sophisticated algorithm which makes a smooth and almost unnoticeable transition. The result is heard like a unique, flowing piece, with its own variations that match the story.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
I remember a lot of people were offended about playing a black character. A lot of magazines that included cheat discs loudly advertised that you could change CJ's player model.
In the end, nobody cared because it was a fun game and the world it was set in was great but yeah I remember people saying shit like "I can't believe they're making us play as a black guy"
Well then clearly I'm wrong lol

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
What do people who were born after the twentieth century think about the PS1 and N64?

Do the graphics of PS1 and N64 titles look unplayable to you today?

I'm afraid to include the PS2 and get an answer that would make me feel old...

Nov 1, 2017
Why does remote play go from PS4 to Vita but not the other way around (besides the name not making sense that way lol)? My PS4 would be way less dusty if I could play my PS1 games on it. :(

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Has anyone gotten more enjoyment from a game by not going into the OT until after they are done the game?
If someone complains about something before I play a game I fixate on that thing so much and it kind of ruins a small bit of the experience for me.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Has anyone gotten more enjoyment from a game by not going into the OT until after they are done the game?
If someone complains about something before I play a game I fixate on that thing so much and it kind of ruins a small bit of the experience for me.
Generally with any game I know I'm getting regardless of reviews or opinions I avoid any discussion on it for similar reasons. Just better off forming your own opinions on it before some people get into your head with vitriol.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I do that all the time. OTs are full of whiners and spoliers

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
It depends. If i were late to join the OT, i might as well wait to finish the game. If the case is kinda like mhw, i dont find it problematic though.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I literally just got spoiled with GoW's ending. The spoil says the game is amazing but it has

bitter ending

I dont know exactly what he meant by that. But is it true? Will it also lessen the impact of playing the game?

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
If I watch a video on YouTube or another streaming service (gaming or otherwise) in 4K, does it down sample to my screen's resolution?

LRB1983

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is there any site where you get noticed which games are going to be delisted during the next days/weeks on Steam? (other sites like psn/xbox too but I'm interested in steam).
I know there are some that track already delisted games. But I want to be noticed when one is delisted in few days/weeks and not deal with other info.
I got VT4, Platinum's transformers, TMNT or psn's Outrun Online arcade in time but still hurts me steam's outrun c2c.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any site where you get noticed which games are going to be delisted during the next days/weeks on Steam? (other sites like psn/xbox too but I'm interested in steam).
I know there are some that track already delisted games. But I want to be noticed when one is delisted in few days/weeks and not deal with other info.
I got VT4, Platinum's transformers, TMNT or psn's Outrun Online arcade in time but still hurts me outrun c2c.

I doubt it. i

Only because we don't normally get much notice on the removals , sometimes none at all

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I've gameshared with a friend on Xbox One for ages and he finally got a PS4 so we gameshared on that as well. On Xbox this works seamlessly - I buy a game and he can download it, or it downloads automatically. He never has to sign into my account.

On PS4, he bought a game and it didn't show up for me. I had to log into his account to see it and start the download, then log out. It works when downloaded, but is this really how sharing works? I have to log into his account and he into mine every time there's a new game to download?

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
I can't speak for that issue but have you tried just connecting to Spotify with the app on your phone?
Yeah, I mean it does that automatically when I start up the spotify app so that's not a problem for me. It's just starting up the app is kind of a pain if I decide in the middle of a game I want to listen to my own music, especially if I'm playing online since it'll boot me off.

Anyway, I just discovered that all other profiles on my PS4 Pro have the music tab on the quick menu, just not my main one for some reason so I'm not really sure what's going on with my main profile on the Pro. D:

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Is the DLC that comes with the version of PREY on CDKeys worth it?
the Cosmonaut Shotgun Pack:

• Margrave Shotgun & Ammo Plans
  • 2 Medkits
  • Starter Fabrication Materials
  • 3 Transtar Neuromods
  • 1 Recycler Shielding Chipset
it's 16.29 on cdkeys and 16.00 on GMG. I know, I know, 29 cents...

The shotgun is merely a skin though it does look pretty cool.

The rest is just some resources to get you started. The game can be quite difficult in the beginning but you don't necessarily need that stuff to enjoy the game.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a term for cutscenes that are graphically rendered the same way as standard gameplay? Or for that matter, a term for cutscenes that use more demanding effects for special scenes, such as higher quality models or DOF effects while not being prerendered like FMVs.

RandomDudeSTL

Dec 5, 2017
Is there a term for cutscenes that are graphically rendered the same way as standard gameplay? Or for that matter, a term for cutscenes that use more demanding effects for special scenes, such as higher quality models or DOF effects while not being prerendered like FMVs.
I think they're just called in-engine cutscenes, but I could be mistaken.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Didn't know where to post this, does anyone know of any games on gamepass that have odd number achievements? Tired of my total not being even.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
What do people who were born after the twentieth century think about the PS1 and N64?

Do the graphics of PS1 and N64 titles look unplayable to you today?

I'm afraid to include the PS2 and get an answer that would make me feel old...
I think it just depends on the person. I teach high school kids who were born in the year 2000 or later. The ones I talk to who like older games don't seem to have a problem with them, but they're the ones who like games. I assume the general kids would think they look stupid, but they think all games are stupid so whatever.
Basically if you're into games enough to even try retro games you're probably predisposed to not care about the graphics so much.

Do nonsensical english names actually have any appeal to japanese people???
I live in Japan and can confirm: yes. They tend to either make enough sense to where the general public can understand them and therefore feel cool because they understood and English title, or are so crazy and outlandish that they just look cool and must have some kind of awesome meaning to them.