• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I've never played a PC game with a controller. It's been consoles or mouse and keyboard my entire life. But I have some games in my GOG library that would probably be a lot more comfortable with a controller and are listed as compatible.

I know nothing about using controllers with computers. What kind of controller can I use? Are there certain brands I should be looking to buy from? Can I reasonably assume any game listed as compatible will work with any controller?

I would really appreciate a quick overview. :S

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played a PC game with a controller. It's been consoles or mouse and keyboard my entire life. But I have some games in my GOG library that would probably be a lot more comfortable with a controller and are listed as compatible.

I know nothing about using controllers with computers. What kind of controller can I use? Are there certain brands I should be looking to buy from? Can I reasonably assume any game listed as compatible will work with any controller?

I would really appreciate a quick overview. :S

Honestly your best choices are either a XBOX One or XBOX 360 Controller or if you don't mind tinkering a bit the Dualshock 4 is superb on PC, either with Steams driver or any of the third-party drivers like DS4Windows. If you do decide to go the Dualshock 4 route you can just add the GOG games to Steam as non Steam games and the controller should work. Beyond that any controller that's Xinput compatible should do the trick.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly your best choices are either a XBOX One or XBOX 360 Controller or if you don't mind tinkering a bit the Dualshock 4 is superb on PC, either with Steams driver or any of the third-party drivers like DS4Windows. If you do decide to go the Dualshock 4 route you can just add the GOG games to Steam as non Steam games and the controller should work. Beyond that any controller that's Xinput compatible should do the trick.

Thanks so much!

I don't have either current MS or Sony console, so I'm essentially just buying for a Windows 10 laptop. The easiest would probably just be to get an Xbox One controller, then?

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Thanks so much!

I don't have either current MS or Sony console, so I'm essentially just buying for a Windows 10 laptop. The easiest would probably just be to get an Xbox One controller, then?
Either Xbox controller is standard for PC games. Whether you use a 360 or XOne is down to preference, they are essentially identical in respect to how they interface with your PC.

For ease of use though, it would be best to get a wired version of the controllers, as they are literally plug-and-play on a PC. Using a wireless version would require purchase of a USB dongle to receive the wireless signal and might require some kind of first time setup.

Edit: Looks like the Xbox One controller can just be connected via micro-USB so you don't need a "wired" variant of that specifically. That isn't the case for the 360 controller. So that's a whole lot of words to basically say, yeah, the Xbox One controller would be easiest.

Last edited:

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Either Xbox controller is standard for PC games. Whether you use a 360 or XOne is down to preference, they are essentially identical in respect to how they interface with your PC.

For ease of use though, it would be best to get a wired version of the controllers, as they are literally plug-and-play on a PC. Using a wireless version would require purchase of a USB dongle to receive the wireless signal and might require some kind of first time setup.
Thank you so much!

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Buddy is convinced he remembers a game character that hair with like long pony tails and some sort of balls at the end of each ponytail?? HELP. HES SICK.

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017
Okay so I'm thinking about building a PC but I am not totally sure what are all the constituent parts I would need to build one. Could someone provide a list of the types of parts that a PC is built out of because I only have bits and pieces of that list rather than the full idea of what a PC is made of...

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Okay so I'm thinking about building a PC but I am not totally sure what are all the constituent parts I would need to build one. Could someone provide a list of the types of parts that a PC is built out of because I only have bits and pieces of that list rather than the full idea of what a PC is made of...
CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Video Card
Hard Drive
Power Supply

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
is there a setting that lets you upload youtube videos at 1080p on base Ps4, or is this a feature only possible on Ps4 pro?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
So, I have a G29 and a PS4. I also have a bad gaming PC (let's say I can play games up to 2012 or so lol). I would like to have a 'game' that simply consists of driving a car around the city, folowing normal rules (max speed, red lights, etc). Probably something similar to EuroTruck simulator, but instead of a TRUCK, with a CAR. Needs to have decent clutch support. Does this game exist?

edit. I found this one:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/493490/City_Car_Driving/

Gonna give it a try, hope my laptop is powerful enough (graphics are shitty but users say the game is heavy...). I can always refund from Steam if it doesnt work well.

Last edited:

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Video Card
Hard Drive
Power Supply

And a case.

I also recommend pcpartpicker.com which allows you to build a "checklist" of sorts and will tell you what you're missing and ensure your parts are compatible. For example, you have to make sure the CPU you pick will fit your motherboard, and that your power supply is strong enough to run everything. Just 2 examples of "compatibility" concerns.

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Video Card
Hard Drive
Power Supply
To elaborate I would say:
*REQUIRED*
Case/Tower
Motherboard
CPU
RAM
HDD or SDD (Storage drive)
PSU (Power Supply)

*OPTIONAL*
GPU (Video card) - You might think it's required, but not really depending on what games you're playing, and even you do need it I would still recommend building a base PC first and adding a card later since it's not a big deal to add one.
CPU cooler - Your CPU will come with a fan, but again depending on what you plan to do you may or may not want something better. Unlike video cards it's a pain to take off the old fan and put a new one on so get this right away if you want it.
CD Drive - Your tower probably won't come with one of these, I know you can install most new OSes with USB now, but call me old fashioned I still think they're good to have

That's actually it though, you won't need an audio card period. And you won't need a USB Port drive unless you really want USB ports on the front of your case and your case doesn't have them (but most do from what I've seen). Also pcpartpicker is the best resource possible, use it.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Why does Sega keep making Miku games and lackluster Sonic games instead of focusing on their other popular IPs that people want to see return like Phantasy Star Online?

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
Just got a Switch and LEGO city undercover, and 1/2 switch. Thinking stardew valley would be something my wife would enjoy, what other games are good for casual gamers that don't require much thinking?

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Why does Sega keep making Miku games and lackluster Sonic games instead of focusing on their other popular IPs that people want to see return like Phantasy Star Online?

Because said Miku and Sonic games make money.

MMOs are complex, costly and long term investments.

Just got a Switch and LEGO city undercover, and 1/2 switch. Thinking stardew valley would be something my wife would enjoy, what other games are good for casual gamers that don't require much thinking?

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a must buy. Despite it's frame rate issues on Switch, Overcooked is a fantastic couch coop game for anyone.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
To elaborate I would say:
*REQUIRED*
Case/Tower
I would hope needing a case to put everything in would be self-evident. Just like a mouse and keyboard would be but y'all didn't list those either!

Also, to go full pedant, strictly speaking a case is not 100% a necessity. You could screw your mobo to a slab of wood, or leave it laying on an anti-static bag and it would work just as well ;)

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Is the mcable I've just heard about really worth it for the Switch? It's really expensive and sounds kinda gimmicky and I can't find a worthwhile video of it online.

If so which is the best version?

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played anything from Life is Strange yet. Which should I play first, original game or prequel?

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Is The King Of Fighters 2002 still considered ACA Neo Geo? More specifically I want to know if Hamster is going to release it for Switch. I could get 98 now but I prefer 2002.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
Which musou game on PS4/Switch has the best map design (varied, challenging, light strategy elements)?

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
How're you supposed to know when the PS4 is finished installing a disc game? I don't mean "how long before it's ready to play" - I mean "how long before it doesn't need to install anything from the disc anymore".

I installed Batman: Arkham Knight just now, and after putting in the disc, the progress bar showed on the game's icon, and the notification for the game's latest update appeared, but after the "time to play" progress bar on the icon disappeared the PS4 was still making the loud "disc spinning" noise it makes when a disc is first inserted so it can read and install, and it continued while there were no progress bars afterwards. I went into Options -> Information (at least I think that is what it's called) and it didn't provide a progress bar there either.

If it's a downloaded game, it's easy to tell since it shows up in Notifications and splits the bar in two, but I haven't been able to find a progress bar for some disc based games (fairly sure Persona 5 had the same issue).

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Have a few questions about the Football Manager games. I've yet to play these games (I want to buy FM2017 though).
Is the team roster formed from actual teams or are they just made up equivalents?
Are the players actual players or are they original characters or randomly generated?
Can you make your own players/team in this game?

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have a few questions about the Football Manager games. I've yet to play these games (I want to buy FM2017 though).
Is the team roster formed from actual teams or are they just made up equivalents?
Are the players actual players or are they original characters or randomly generated?
Can you make your own players/team in this game?
Actual teams for most leagues but not all

Actual players got most leagues but not all

And yes you can in the editor

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Can I put the hard drive from a broken PS3 slim into a 12GB PS3 Super Slim? I'm not expecting any data to get transferred over or anything like that.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played anything from Life is Strange yet. Which should I play first, original game or prequel?
You are supposed to play the original first. The "prequel" was made to give more meaning to certain characters from the original.

Before the Storm is almost like a side-story in a sense. It's not integral to the overall story and not even from the original developer.

It's still really good though.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
How're you supposed to know when the PS4 is finished installing a disc game? I don't mean "how long before it's ready to play" - I mean "how long before it doesn't need to install anything from the disc anymore".

I installed Batman: Arkham Knight just now, and after putting in the disc, the progress bar showed on the game's icon, and the notification for the game's latest update appeared, but after the "time to play" progress bar on the icon disappeared the PS4 was still making the loud "disc spinning" noise it makes when a disc is first inserted so it can read and install, and it continued while there were no progress bars afterwards. I went into Options -> Information (at least I think that is what it's called) and it didn't provide a progress bar there either.

If it's a downloaded game, it's easy to tell since it shows up in Notifications and splits the bar in two, but I haven't been able to find a progress bar for some disc based games (fairly sure Persona 5 had the same issue).

I don't understand what use that would be?

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what use that would be?

Installing multiple games one after the other, or if you're playing something you're already partway through but uninstalled to save space, you can have it install and know when to come back to play if it's the kind of game that locks you out of certain parts until those are installed. An example of this was when I installed Persona 5 - I wanted to play a late game save (transferred over from PS3), and let the game do the partial install, only to start it and notice I was locked to playing the beginning and had to continue to wait until everything was done to continue the save.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Installing multiple games one after the other, or if you're playing something you're already partway through but uninstalled to save space, you can have it install and know when to come back to play if it's the kind of game that locks you out of certain parts until those are installed. An example of this was when I installed Persona 5 - I wanted to play a late game save (transferred over from PS3), and let the game do the partial install, only to start it and notice I was locked to playing the beginning and had to continue to wait until everything was done to continue the save.

Oh, I hadn't thought of the Persona example. Why bother with installing multiple games when you can start pretty much immediately anyway?

Guess your reasons don't really matter, it's something you want to do.

To answer your original question, I'm pretty sure there's no way to check.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Was there ever an in-universe reason given as to why certain Link's swords in the various Zeldas can shoot beams and others can't?

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I hadn't thought of the Persona example. Why bother with installing multiple games when you can start pretty much immediately anyway?

Guess your reasons don't really matter, it's something you want to do.

To answer your original question, I'm pretty sure there's no way to check.

I don't always have consistent blocks of time to play, and the PS4 is connected to the TV which is often used by someone else. Thus, I prefer to have games installed and ready for the times when I can play, rather than avoid situations like the Persona 5 situation where playtime isn't being used to play but rather to wait for the install to be done. The only other disc-based console I can compare with is the PS3 but that (if an install is needed) shows the percentage.

Even so, thanks for the answers - they are appreciated :).

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Why do 720 apparently games look worse on 4K tv's? Is there an image comparison or something that illustrates it?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I get that. But why? I mean, I've had it described as "imagine blowing up an image" but idk, it doesn't seem like it would be the same thing. My brain can't figure out why.
Yes it is pretty much that. Zoom in on a photo on your computer and phone. Go far enough and it starts to look blurry and pixelated. It's the same thing basically. Your 4K TV display is comprised of a certain number of pixels (it's native resolution), while the 720p image is a small fraction of that. In order for the 720p image to look perfect, it would only take up a portion of your screen. But that doesn't happen. It's gets 'blown up' to cover the entire display, causing a blurry image. The same happens with a 1080p image as well, but less severely.