• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i can get spider-man base game for 24 $ physical... but the goty edition will probably get cheaper if i wait more, are the DLC worth it or should i go for the base one?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm toying with the idea of moving on to playing some older CRPG goodness soon, and one avenue I might explore is Spiderweb's games.

I have a little history with Spiderweb, in that I played and enjoyed Escape From The Pit waaaay back when it was 1995's Exile: Escape From The Pit. However, I've not touched anything of theirs since then, and the sheer quantity of rereleases and remakes mixed in with new titles in a variety of different universes is... a little overwhelming.

So with the following caveats:

* I'm generally a stickler for playing series in order
* I'm broadly okay with replacing earlier entries with remakes...
* ...but I'd quite like to be able to persist characters from release to release if at all possible (I've no idea if Spiderweb's games do that old staple, but given how trad-CRPG they are, I assume it's not all that unlikely!)
* I'd like to plan to be *somewhat* futureproof, in that if a remake is known (or I guess at least highly rumoured) to be in the works for a franchise, I probably wouldn't want to start on that one just yet.

So with those caveats... what do I need to know, what pitfalls might I fall into... and what would people recommend from the breadth of their range?

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Having enjoyed Automata so much, I really want to play the original Nier.

Should I play it on 360 or PS3? I vaguely remember hearing that they have different main characters and that only one was considered 'canon', but I can't remember the specifics. Or is it a case of needing to play both to get the full story or something?

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have a question for years and can't find the answer anywhere. There was a sentence on the wall in Dust 2 map in Counter-Strike: Source and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, a Persian sentence:
فریمن اینجا بود
That means: (Gordon) Freeman was here.

wxcp_923000677-3724152882.jpg

It seems no one knows that story behind this. Maybe someone on ResetEra knows something about it?

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hi, I've a really crazy question :) Is there a Nintendo Switch game that has the Number "1" in the title like 1-2 Switch? But it must be available as a physical box through retail. Thanks in advance :)

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Having enjoyed Automata so much, I really want to play the original Nier.

Should I play it on 360 or PS3? I vaguely remember hearing that they have different main characters and that only one was considered 'canon', but I can't remember the specifics. Or is it a case of needing to play both to get the full story or something?

This might be coming a bit late but the game was split into two in Japan - Nier Gestalt (with old man Nier) and Nier Replicant (with youthful Nier). The former was for the 360 and the latter was for the PS3.

In the west they just brought over the former version to both platforms though, so if you want to play in English you're stuck with oldie Nier. I'm not much of an expert on the series to know if fan made patches have been released though, and I also dunno how "canon" each entry is.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
This might be coming a bit late but the game was split into two in Japan - Nier Gestalt (with old man Nier) and Nier Replicant (with youthful Nier). The former was for the 360 and the latter was for the PS3.

In the west they just brought over the former version to both platforms though, so if you want to play in English you're stuck with oldie Nier. I'm not much of an expert on the series to know if fan made patches have been released though, and I also dunno how "canon" each entry is.

That's great, thanks very much! My 360 is a bit more accessible at the minute than my PS3 which is packed away, so I'll go with that. Thanks a lot 😊

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Destruction in games and how the game should remember what's gone...

Re: Fortnite

I'm noticing I can destroy a building, for example the new light house and yet when I move a few hundred yards away from its location and look back, the game has drawn it back in.

If I move closer it's gone again.

I'm just curious as to why this happens? Just an Unreal Engine thing or to do with destruction in general?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Destruction in games and how the game should remember what's gone...

Re: Fortnite

I'm noticing I can destroy a building, for example the new light house and yet when I move a few hundred yards away from its location and look back, the game has drawn it back in.

If I move closer it's gone again.

I'm just curious as to why this happens? Just an Unreal Engine thing or to do with destruction in general?

It's an optimisation technique; the principle is that you only have to render the most-detailed version of an area while you're within a certain range of it; beyond that range, it's replaced with a simpler one (lower-poly, lower-texture, etc.). It sounds like that simpler version hasn't been implemented to reflect any large structural changes

Usually you'd try to avoid this behaviour with a large noticeable landmark, so it's perhaps a bug or an oversight on their part.

Feb 21, 2018
Is there a way to turn off the blood and gore in Witcher 3 or Skyrim on Switch? Both games look fun but the over-the-top violence is a bit too much for me to stomach. I don't want to mod my console.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is anthem worth playing for a campaign run through? I don't care much for builds/endgame

If there even is an endgame

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Can I download games on PC Game Pass even if my windows log on is different from my Xbox live log on? Or do i need to a new user on my PC using my Xbox live account?

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's an optimisation technique; the principle is that you only have to render the most-detailed version of an area while you're within a certain range of it; beyond that range, it's replaced with a simpler one (lower-poly, lower-texture, etc.). It sounds like that simpler version hasn't been implemented to reflect any large structural changes

Usually you'd try to avoid this behaviour with a large noticeable landmark, so it's perhaps a bug or an oversight on their part.

Thanks mate, makes sense :)

EtaMari

Dec 17, 2018
There's this guide, which is specifically for Overwatch on PC, but some of the advice can translate over to other games. You're wanting to use M+KB, right?

Thanks for the answer! Yes, I'm using mouse + keyboard!
I used to play Overwatch, but after recent Heartstone tournament fiasco I'm boycotting Blizzard. At this moment I'm trying to get better at PUBG (and maybe Apex)

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
can I change my PSN ID with no worries or will my Soulsborne (and other older games) saves get f*ked?

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
can I change my PSN ID with no worries or will my Soulsborne (and other older games) saves get f*ked?
It's supposedly hit or miss basically. They claim that anything before PS4 you're at risk of losing data, items, trophies, dlc etc potentially, but some earlier PS4 games are possibly affected. Best to look up the info for each game you care about before pulling the trigger.

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 games are region free right? I live in Europe and I bought two games while in America, so they should work on my PS4 back home?

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
On iPhone, the Spotify app was able to always find my Ps4 as an available device to play music on. However, I just switched to an Android, and the app on this phone makes me have to always first open up the Spotify app on Ps4 first, before I can use the app on the phone to choose music.

Is there any way I can the app to operate the same way it did on iPhone?

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nevermind the likelihood, but is it possible for PS5 and Xbox next to automatically run backwards compatible games in a higher res?

Not looking forward to a slow, staggered, thin list of games that need to be tested and patched.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Nevermind the likelihood, but is it possible for PS5 and Xbox next to automatically run backwards compatible games in a higher res?

Not looking forward to a slow, staggered, thin list of games that need to be tested and patched.
Imperfectly yes, perfectly no.

You can't guarantee that a developer hasn't designed elements - most likely UI - around the assumption of a fixed, finite set of resolutions.

As an example, over on PC I'm currently playing a rather nice extremely traditional-style indie RPG from 2011 or so - Avernum: Escape from the Pit, and I'm playing it on PC on my TV, so it's running at a pretty high resolution, probably higher than it was expected to be run at when it was developed. And it's great in some respects - the screen shows a lot of the current region - but the UI really isn't designed for this setup; while the chat interface itself is fine, occasionally for flavour, NPCs make brief statements on the map, and those are near-unreadable; on top of that a number of UI elements that may need to be clicked on are extremely small and fiddly.

It works, but it doesn't work as well as something that was explicitly designed for this resolution and play style would have done.

Last edited:

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Are uchigatanas worth it in DS2 dex build or what's a better dex sword ? Trying to do the no death run.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Re: Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

I can't decide if I should get this on Switch or Steam and play on my Surface Pro with a gamepad. Any thoughts?

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
why when i connect my notebook on my TV the colors are very washed out and have a noticiable lag/delay/fps drops in the games?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know this game? It's an RTS or strategy type with these little green people shapes that look like this:
iusutH.png

PC, I can't remember anything but this...

empo

Jan 27, 2018
YES
Bless you and this thread :D
NP recognized that little dude right away!
I got a bit bummed because I used to love their games like Uplink/Defcon/Darwinia but Prison Architect wasn't really appealing to me, but scouring their wiki I noticed that they released a game called Scanner Sombre that I've got to check out now!

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
What video cable are you using? HDMI?
Are you doing extended display, mirroring or TV only? Is your TV higher res than the laptop?
Is your cable high quality? Have you checked windows' colour settings?

- HDMI (switch's cable, tho i have the ps4 pro one)

- tv is 4k, notebook is 1080p

- i do believe is mirrored because the screen of the notebook was displaying the game

- windows colour settings was normal, i believe

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
This is probably a long shot, but... I'm temporarily living in Japan and have my Switch set to use the Japanese eShop. Does anyone happen to know if RE4 (Biohazard 4) has language settings other than Japanese if bought from the Japanese eShop?
At least Nintendo do one-size-fits-all releases on Switch. Try the eshop OT.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
This is probably a long shot, but... I'm temporarily living in Japan and have my Switch set to use the Japanese eShop. Does anyone happen to know if RE4 (Biohazard 4) has language settings other than Japanese if bought from the Japanese eShop?
At least Nintendo do one-size-fits-all releases on Switch. Try the eshop OT.
eShop-prices.com reports that there are regional differences to some extent - best to find someone with specific experience before buying. Alternatively, so long as you don't have any currency balance on your account, you could just change your account region.