• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread but I'll post here first at least. My wife and I have a switch, we both have an account on it and we have bought games with both accounts that we both play (basically whoever was logged in at the time bought the game, so they are essentially randomly assigned to either account). We are thinking of getting a second one. I know Nintendo is historically terrible with account stuff and I can't find a definitive/satisfactory answer searching but is there any sort of 'household' account system? What I want is both of us to be able to access all our games on either system.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friend sent me a link to a local seller with a minty, no box, 500 million PS4 for 500 USD...

Should I do it? SHOULD I FUCKING DO THIS? AM I GOING TO DO IT?

Fuuuuuuuck!

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Not really gaming related, but anyone know why dolby atmos movie trailers in the Xbox One store have extremely low volume? I was testing my speakers but found these trailers to be barely audible. Normal trailers and gaming sound just fine. Xbox is set to output dolby atmos, but changing this didn't really make any difference to the audio level output in these trailers.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who is or who was the dragon on Mortal Kombat dragon symbol, Onaga?

Its weird Shao Khan uses it as a symbol on his hammer and raiden have that symbol of the same dragon , white lotus have the symbol too so that dragon must be pretty famous

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can anybody tell me (or test out for me) whether you can play the Switch version of Dragonball Fighter Z with a gamecube controller?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
What is an example of an RPG where Ninja class is really good?

I think the original NES version of FF3's Ninja job was extremely strong, if memory serves. They nerfed it in the 3D remake a bit, though.

Does anyone know if PS4 Move controllers work on a PS3?

I don't think there's such a thing as a 'PS4 Move controller', as much as there is a Playstation Move controller that's compatible with both platforms.

That said, I haven't tried it that way around; I can at least assert that it definitely works the other way around, with controllers bought for the PS3 working fine with PSVR. There should be no difference, but I'd understand if you'd want to hear from someone who's had first-hand experience.

Oct 28, 2017
I think the original NES version of FF3's Ninja job was extremely strong, if memory serves. They nerfed it in the 3D remake a bit, though.

I don't think there's such a thing as a 'PS4 Move controller', as much as there is a Playstation Move controller that's compatible with both platforms.

That said, I haven't tried it that way around; I can at least assert that it definitely works the other way around, with controllers bought for the PS3 working fine with PSVR. There should be no difference, but I'd understand if you'd want to hear from someone who's had first-hand experience.
I'm mainly worried about being able to calibrate the PS4 one on a PS3. I know that the PS4 ones use micro USB cables instead of mini USB but I've been seeing some resellers pointing out that PS4 Move controllers aren't compatible with PS3, so I thought I would check if anyone used the newer ones on a PS3 setup.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mainly worried about being able to calibrate the PS4 one on a PS3. I know that the PS4 ones use micro USB cables instead of mini USB but I've been seeing some resellers pointing out that PS4 Move controllers aren't compatible with PS3, so I thought I would check if anyone used the newer ones on a PS3 setup.

Then it's probably best to get a second opinion, since I'm not that sure!

I'd still be somewhat surprised, though.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017

Sony refreshed the PS Move hardware a little after the PS VR released. The refreshed Move controllers use microUSB instead of MiniUSB, and they don't work with PC games that use the unofficial PS Move API, like Johan Sebastian Joust.

I would imagine the new controllers still work on PS3, or I would expect to have seen complaints to that effect, but I don't know for sure.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm planning to run an 8 play Towerfall game at a summer camp.

Can anyone recommend some small, cheap controllers that I won't be too upset of a child breaks? Towerfall requires a decent D-Pad and at least three buttons (for jump, shoot, and dodge). The controller can't be so crappy that children will blame it for their performance. (Well, some will anyway, but I don't want it to be a legitamate complaint.)

I was originally going to give them my Wii Remotes, but I'd be a bit upset if something happened to those. And, for technical reasons, no more than four of the eight controllers can use Bluetooth.

metalmonstar

May 17, 2018
Anyone else have issues with twitch app on PS4? It will like stutter and replay the same section a couple of times before moving forward.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in an xbox, but I can't stand the texture on the controller's joysticks (the sort of slits/grooves). Is there an easy solution like swapping out the sticks or something like that? Not really interested in putting rubber covers over them if I can help it. Thanks.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
what is the difference between xcloud and gamepass?

XCloud is a streaming service, i.e. you store none of the data locally, you're basically streaming a gameplay feed from Microsoft's data center like you stream a TV show via Netflix. The difference is you're also sending data back to them in the form of button presses, with ideally next-to-no latency.

GamePass is just a bunch of games to download for a subscription fee, so they're stored locally on your hard drive without any of the streaming tech involved.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
In very simple terms:

xcloud = streaming, like Stadia/PS Now
game pass = EA/Origin access, but Microsoft
XCloud is a streaming service, i.e. you store none of the data locally, you're basically streaming a gameplay feed from Microsoft's data center like you stream a TV show via Netflix. The difference is you're also sending data back to them in the form of button presses, with ideally next-to-no latency.

GamePass is just a bunch of games to download for a subscription fee, so they're stored locally on your hard drive without any of the streaming tech involved.
Thank you both. So, wikipedia calls gamepass the Netflix of gaming, but really wouldn't that be xcloud? Also is xcloud a separate service from gamepass or is gamepass going to be a part of xcloud?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you both. So, wikipedia calls gamepass the Netflix of gaming, but really wouldn't that be xcloud? Also is xcloud a separate service from gamepass or is gamepass going to be a part of xcloud?
I would assume xCloud would use Game Pass games as the main hook and advantage over competitors like Stadia but there's been no word on how it will be sold/packaged.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

You could see GamePass as similar in structure to Netflix - you pay a monthly fee, get access to a bunch of games. It's the technology that's different, and XCloud is more similar on that front.

As for whether they'll be bundled they haven't really said AFAIK. Could be that it's folded into Game Pass Ultimate.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I would assume xCloud would use Game Pass games as the main hook and advantage over competitors like Stadia but there's been no word on how it will be sold/packaged.
so gamepass will be a main feature of xcloud, and xcloud will offer more than streaming games, yeah?
You could see GamePass as similar in structure to Netflix - you pay a monthly fee, get access to a bunch of games. It's the technology that's different, and XCloud is more similar on that front.

As for whether they'll be bundled they haven't really said AFAIK. Could be that it's folded into Game Pass Ultimate.
That's the thing, if it's supposed to be like Netflix, then I go onto Gamepass, choose any game I want, and start playing immediately. That sounds like that's what Xcloud will allow, but not what Gamepass is.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That's the thing, if it's supposed to be like Netflix, then I go onto Gamepass, choose any game I want, and start playing immediately. That sounds like that's what Xcloud will allow, but not what Gamepass is.

Yeah the immediacy isn't there with GamePass, unless it's a super small download. It's worth noting that GamePass was around for a while before XCloud was mentioned, which is probably where most of the "it's Netflix for games" comparisons came from. Nowadays I figure it wouldn't be referred to as such.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the immediacy isn't there with GamePass, unless it's a super small download. It's worth noting that GamePass was around for a while before XCloud was mentioned, which is probably where most of the "it's Netflix for games" comparisons came from. Nowadays I figure it wouldn't be referred to as such.
by super small download as immediacy, you just mean that a user won't have to wait long before getting to play, but principally since it's not streaming, it's not what most people would think if they call it the netflix of gaming. so gamepass is another ea access, and psnow? although i thought psnow actually offered streaming

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
by super small download as immediacy, you just mean that a user won't have to wait long before getting to play, but principally since it's not streaming, it's not what most people would think if they call it the netflix of gaming. so gamepass is another ea access, and psnow? although i thought psnow actually offered streaming
PS Now is primarily streaming, but has since started offering downloads.

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Has anyone read the Bloodborne graphic novels/comics?
yes.
Bloodborne is easily my favourite game this gen and I'm pretty much into Ales Kot 's works, such as Zero and Days of Hate. And Ales seems to really enjoy and understand bloodborne, so....

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
huh, I always thought it was the other way around. offering downloads for a select amount of time, and then offering a flat fee for 3 months subscription to stream
PS Now came about following Sony's purchase of Gaikai, a streaming competitor to OnLive at the time. The 'Now' in PS Now refers to the fact you don't have to wait to download (like Netflix).

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of getting a 256GB MicroSD for my Switch since they're on sale, but I'm not entirely sure how it works. I'd assume saves are stored on system memory, and the SD is just for the games themselves? I'd like to swap between it and my old 128gb MicroSD too, having the bigger games on the former and indie titles on the latter, but I dunno how seamless that actually is.

I think it's simple but I'd like to be doubly sure.

ChrisEnri

Banned
Mar 30, 2019
So a friend of mine wants to gift me a game, the thing is, he's in the US and I'm in Mexico, so he said he would get me a code for Crash Team Racing for Switch.

Questions are:

1. He couldn't find an option to get a digital code like other games, does it vary by company, platform or is it because it hasn't released?

2. Do US codes work in other countries of North America? on 3ds they did but i have no idea on Switch.

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
Any ideas for renting a console in the US? I sold my ps4 last year but I really want one again to play the ff7 remake and persona 5r. I don't feel like there's any point in rebuying a ps4 since all signs point to the ps5 coming out next year and being backwards compatible.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any ideas for renting a console in the US? I sold my ps4 last year but I really want one again to play the ff7 remake and persona 5r. I don't feel like there's any point in rebuying a ps4 since all signs point to the ps5 coming out next year and being backwards compatible.

Given those games are gonna be long as shit any place that's gonna rent you them is probably gonna cost more than just buying one unless you're just gonna go full no lifer and burn through shit like crazy.

Pretty sure most places that "rent" consoles these days are rent to own places where you'll end up paying absurd amounts and aren't designed around returning the product.

Far better off buying one and just selling it.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
What song is this at 1:33? I know it's from one of the Mario Galaxy games, but I can't find the name of it for the life of me. It fucking slaps.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Or if you can wait a bit, wait or the ps5 and buy it to play those two ps4 games.

apeache

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a list of unavailable Steam games in Japan? Tried to gift Max Payne bundle to a friend but it says "The gift you are trying to purchase is not available in the recipient's region".

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Is there a good list of games IP addresses to ping to check mp latency?

I'm always on wired btw.

I have 100mb fiber, if I ping Barcelona's (I'm in Spain, Canary Islands) Telefonica servers I get 13ms.

Xbox setup (Open NAT, wired) tells me 61ms.

Pinging LoL EU west gives me 62ms which is acceptable I think.

*BUT*

Then playing a certain major MS franchise latest closed alpha gives me 160ms in game as per its HUD.

Oculus Quest games like Racket Fury (VR Table Tennis) on EU server West is 150/170ms.

Unplayable.

WTF. I'm pissed cause I thought getting fiber would have meant actually being able to play online decently.

What's weird is that Mario Tennis on Switch is fantastic.
And even testing PSNOW free trial blew me away with how responsive it was even for arcade games like Raiden IV Overkill and Capcom Arcade Cabinet.

I'd like to have some more IP addresses that I can ping from my laptop but I can't find many for new games, just the usual WoW, DOTA2...

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017
I have a lot of Xbox 360 games, but I haven't turned it on in years. Is there a way to check for/download updates for every disc game you have, or do I have to insert and start each disc before it looks?

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Anyone here played FFX Switch port? Just wondering how it is and if it's as good as the PS4 one. Was looking at getting the PS4 version but being able to play on the go might help.