• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Since we are close to TLOU2, let's look at some masterful part1 skill.

Anthony Caliber is a supreme leader of TLOUR speedrunning. He runs this game for years now, and even though he has very little [essentially none] competition these days, he still managed to do wonders and recently he finally broke 2h 50min barrier. While he is currently holding ALL TLOUR speedrunning records, his primary category is the hardest one - Grounded Glitchless.

In general, the game is hard to run because AI can at times be very random and so many things can go wrong. The game is evil. And playing on Grounded is of course very hard even without trying to play fast.

Before watching, a bit of a setup. In last days of April he had one of his best runs, managing to get both the elusive hallway launch [00:12:10] and even rarer truck push [1:07:10], the two glitches that are allowed in the Glitchless category because they can happen to anyone during the regular play. But in the second half of the run the game started acting up, and toward the end it randomly decided to block him for 13 seconds [2:39:30]. He got the new world record, but failed to break 2h 50min barrier by 2 seconds.

After this disappointment, few days later he booted the game and started his first new run after failing to go below 2h 50min and managed to do this without hallway launch and truck push tactics:

With this done, Ant went and got all the other records in other TLOUR categories, and then few days ago he booted the Grounded again and managed to get a new records with a few seconds faster run. 2h 48min is currently almost impossible to get without the discovery of some new strategies.

His Twitch channel and Discord is on lockdown right now due to leaked spoilers, but he will open up chat for non-subscribers after he finishes TLOU2. He also has full tutorials about TLOUR speedruning on his YouTube channel [due to leaks, comments are currently disabled on all vids except his recent record runs].

Last edited:

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Anton Calabrese is a master of TLOU, dude done so much for the game and speedrunning. can't wait to see him running Part 2.

I also recommend his MP videos, he plays crazy well.

he has a glitched SR of Left Behind on 4 minutes or so haha

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
This guy makes it look like the game plays like your usual third person shooter lol

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Came up in my recommended videos the other day. Absolute madness, and here's me struggling with Survivor difficulty.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah I've seen his runs before and sometimes would tune in on Twitch. This guy is crazy good at this game.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Had no idea people speedrunned story focused games since they're so directed in progression.

Saving this for a work day at home.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I've beaten Grounded 3 times, and each one was a knock-down drag-out. Can't even fathom hitting sub 4 hours, let along sub 3.

Watching now

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Anthony Newman (PII's co-director) like a tweet from him saying that he feels he's done everything he can in TLoU and now the wait for PII is harder.

Oct 30, 2017
What is their reason for not accepting it?
I think they felt that a nearly 3 hour speedrun of a non-classic game would bore the viewers. Personally, I get sick of nothing but Megaman and Final Fantasy and had been hoping Ant would get a shot to run TLOU. They let him do a Left Behind speedrun though. Done in like 11 minutes.

OP
OP
DieH@rd

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I think they felt that a nearly 3 hour speedrun of a non-classic game would bore the viewers. Personally, I get sick of nothing but Megaman and Final Fantasy and had been hoping Ant would get a shot to run TLOU. They let him do a Left Behind speedrun though. Done in like 11 minutes.
They recently had a FF8 run that lasted a bit over 9 hours. :D

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I have been watching Anton for quit a time now. It's the only reason I downloaded the Twitch app on my phone and PS4 . It's the only streamer I watch. Sadly, after all the leaks, I did't watch him again because of fear of been spoiled. But as soon I beat TLOUPII I will watch him again.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Part II speedruns are going to be quite interesting given that ND have said that it's possible for someone that's completely blind to complete the game due to the sound design. So i'd imagine we're going to see blindfold playthroughs of it.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Speed running Grounded has to be torture. I did not realize that The Last of Us was so glitchy until I did a Grounded run.

For those who have not tried it, many checkpoints have been removed, player and enemy health have been reduced to the point that it takes 2-3 bullets to kill/die or 1 if the weapon is strong, and crafting supplies/bullets are very rare.

Stealth segments are my favourite because I feel in control and can go at my own pace but they are hampered by a number of issues. The worst thing is all of the enemy AI in a stage occasionally getting semi-alerted when you do a stealth kill. Their psychic behaviour is sometimes baffling. The enemy animations are so realistic but their AI/behaviour is worse than Metal Gear Solid 2.

Ambush segments are a lot harder because the enemies start off alerted to your presence and you have to babysit useless buddies like
Henry
and
Tommy
. I save my ammo and resources for these sections. Glitches are more rare in these sections but do happen. I had one or two occasions where I cleared the area but was unable to proceed because one or more enemies did not spawn at the start.

Despite all this, The Last of Us is still one of my favourite games of all time and I expect all of these issues have been rectified with Part II.

OP
OP
DieH@rd

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I have been watching Anton for quit a time now. It's the only reason I downloaded the Twitch app on my phone and PS4 . It's the only streamer I watch. Sadly, after all the leaks, I did't watch him again because of fear of been spoiled. But as soon I beat TLOUPII I will watch him again.
He has put his channel on lockdown on the first day of leaks. Chat is in sub-only mode, and names are not shown on screen when someone subscribes/donates money. It's safe there.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Watching this, I decided to start playing my first grounded playthrough the way his is about an hour and it's actually pretty legit.
Just got to Pittsburgh.

OP
OP
DieH@rd

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Watching this, I decided to start playing my first grounded playthrough the way his is about an hour and it's actually pretty legit.
Just got to Pittsburgh.
Yes, many speedrunning tactics can be used without the need for very accurate shooting. For example, going through the library [fighting all of them would be so hard on Grounded].

OP
OP
DieH@rd

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
That's great. Thanks for let me know. Hopefully I'll be present this time when he hits that 2:48
That would potentially take year(s), especially since he will move on to TLOU2 soon.

His TLOUR speedrun schedule will be reduced, and also, with current tactics he will probably go down to 2:49:30 but not much further. New tactics would need to be discovered for 2:48.[/S]

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
That would potentially take year(s), especially since he will move on to TLOU2 soon.

His TLOUR speedrun schedule will be reduced, and also, with current tactics he will probably go down to 2:49:30 but not much further. New tactics would need to be discovered for 2:48.[/S]

Yeah 2:48 seems almost impossible. He should gold almost every section in order to achieve it, wich is crazy

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Gonna be fun to watch literal blind speedruns of the sequel with the accessibility options lol

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's by far the most impressive speed run and GDQ gave him 5 minutes to only speed run the expansion pack, what the fuck is up with that?

OP
OP
DieH@rd

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Small bump, new unexpected v1.11 patch for PS4 TLOUR has dramatically reduced load times for both HDD and SSD users. Speedrun has no open load times, except for a lenghty David fight checkpoint restart.

Here's the moment when Ant noticed the load change, 10 mins later he tried the David fight
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.
4hours 9sec mark

I can't imagine PS5 loadtimes lol

Oct 27, 2017
Small bump, new unexpected v1.11 patch for PS4 TLOUR has dramatically reduced load times for both HDD and SSD users. Speedrun has no open load times, except for a lenghty David fight checkpoint restart.

Here's the moment when Ant noticed the load change, 10 mins later he tried the David fight
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.
4hours 9sec mark

I can't imagine PS5 loadtimes lol
So... the PS4 pro was always capable of these fast loading times on SSD for TLOU remastered, it's only that they never patched in order to take advantage of it?

OP
OP
DieH@rd

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
ND said that porting TLOU on PS4 and making it run at 60fps was very hard, the original maxed out PS3 SPUs, so they maybe did not look at file management that much.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Anthony is completely perplexed a couple minutes after that timecode lol. He does mention he's on an SSD it's still such a big improvement. Making me interested in playing around with some of these other games that got surprise patches this past week.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
So... the PS4 pro was always capable of these fast loading times on SSD for TLOU remastered, it's only that they never patched in order to take advantage of it?

What's do you think they had to do?
Push a button for faster loading on PS4 Pro?
It's so stupid when people say "oh the developers didn't optimise their game"
Like as if it's a one step easy process that they're just too lazy todo.

Jun 7, 2020
Part of the PlayStation 5 IO overhaul was changes to the storage API. They did as much work on the software stack as they did the hardware stack. Given the timing I wonder if these (maybe PS5 related) recent updates have all recompiled the game against newer PlayStation APIs that include some of the updates to how storage is treated? Maybe doing away with the traditional virtual file system for metadata lookup and implementing something akin to the File Archive API described in their patent? This would reduce seeks and other latency involved in reading a lot of smaller files.

Oct 27, 2017
What's do you think they had to do?
Push a button for faster loading on PS4 Pro?
It's so stupid when people say "oh the developers didn't optimise their game"
Like as if it's a one step easy process that they're just too lazy todo.
But that's not what I said though, so maybe chill out.
I always assumed there was a limitation on the PS4 since SSDs don't make that much of a difference on loading times compared to regular HDDs. But it turns out those speeds could be achieved when taking SSDs into consideration as the standard storage device.

OP
OP
DieH@rd

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Antony Caliber did it again, he just managed to go below 2h 49 minute mark in the hardest "grounded glitchless" category.

The run was going great until the game simply stopped dropping ammo, in a few spots he had to improvise on the spot, and in the end run was left hanging on his performance in the tunnel where the game attempted to screw him once again.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Well, too long of a watch for me. I'm sure it was fast. Mostly impressed with how much graphics evolved since then. And this is already a remaster.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Antony Caliber did it again, he just managed to go below 2h 49 minute mark in the hardest "grounded glitchless" category.

The run was going great until the game simply stopped dropping ammo, in a few spots he had to improvise on the spot, and in the end run was left hanging on his performance in the tunnel where the game attempted to screw him once again.

What's with the graphical glitching right after the intro? Is he playing the game oh an emulator or something? Don't think I've ever seen TLOU glitch that way on PS3 or PS4.